Horseshoe Bay Bermuda got Jelly Fish???

mscasey95

You might want to google urinating and vinegar for jelly fish stings and read some of the more well-known sites, both of those have been proven to not only be useless, but vinegar causes more venom to be released. Be careful :)

-Keith

We asked the lifeguards what to do and this is what they told us!

It was even posted on the signs at the beach.

If anyone had trouble breathing they wanted to know immediately but they said there wasn't much else to do besides the two remedies they knew of.

I would think they should know what to tell those people that are stung, especially if they are becoming more frequent.

Patti

I was on Horseshoe and Jobson's cove. We were in the water the whole time--NO Jelly or Man of war!!! They are gone.. Rip currents replaced them--was on the Summit so I was there Thursday and Tobacco on Wed. All clear!!

I would think they should know what to tell those people that are stung, especially if they are becoming more frequent.

I have not seen any studies that show they are becoming more frequent or not more frequent. I believe it is the reports that are more frequent because now we have the internet. That may be all that is more frequent. When I first started going to Bermuda I could only read Bermudian news if I picked up the Royal Gazette when I got to Bermuda. Now we can skim through the Royal Gazette and Bernews online every day in a few minutes and get the latest news from there.

Just an FYI here, a Portuguese Man Of War is NOT a jelly Fish. According to National Geographic "Not only is it not a jellyfish, it's not even an 'it', but a 'they'. The Portuguese man-of-war is a siphonophore, an animal made up of a colony of organisms working together." No you know the rest of the story!

Very true; they are not jellyfish, but still have a nasty sting. They wash up on the shore here in Fort Lauderdale and Miami every summer. And even when washed ashore, you need to be especially careful not to step on the tentacles (which can be several feet long), as the nematocysts from the tentacles can still sting a human even after the organisms have died. If ever you see a balloonish or air-filled plastic bag-like-looking-thing that has a blueish/purple-ish tinge floating on the surface of the water, beware. And if you see such a thing washed up on the beach, even if it looks partially dried up, steer clear. The first time I saw Portuguese Man-O-War when I moved to south Florida, I did not think it was actually an organism, it looked more like a plastic bag or plastic bellows just lying on the sand. Glad a fellow beach-goer educated me.

I was on Horseshoe and Jobson's cove. We were in the water the whole time--NO Jelly or Man of war!!! They are gone.. Rip currents replaced them--was on the Summit so I was there Thursday and Tobacco on Wed. All clear!!

Thanks Tom, glad to hear that!

Very true; they are not jellyfish, but still have a nasty sting. They wash up on the shore here in Fort Lauderdale and Miami every summer. And even when washed ashore, you need to be especially careful not to step on the tentacles (which can be several feet long), as the nematocysts from the tentacles can still sting a human even after the organisms have died. If ever you see a balloonish or air-filled plastic bag-like-looking-thing that has a blueish/purple-ish tinge floating on the surface of the water, beware. And if you see such a thing washed up on the beach, even if it looks partially dried up, steer clear. The first time I saw Portuguese Man-O-War when I moved to south Florida, I did not think it was actually an organism, it looked more like a plastic bag or plastic bellows just lying on the sand. Glad a fellow beach-goer educated me.

Thanks for the info!

You were EACH "stung a few times"? After taking the lengthy time to remove all the tentacles and treat the first sting, why would you keep doing it? :confused:

I have found some of the negatives of a cruise are the most memorable.

Otherwise, a normal cruise was not worth remembering.:)

TMI...

Like when I swallowed a cap(tooth) whilst eating chicken wings,

and the Ship Doctor told me to just wait it out and I could save money by retrieving it.

I have found some of the negatives of a cruise are the most memorable.

Otherwise, a normal cruise was not worth remembering.:)

TMI...

Like when I swallowed a cap(tooth) whilst eating chicken wings,

and the Ship Doctor told me to just wait it out and I could save money by retrieving it.

In that case, I'd spend the money for a new cap. Just saying.

Sometimes on Cape Cod there were Portuguese man-o-war or other stinging creatures. The instant remedy was keeping a bottle of Accent seasoning in your beach bag. Shake a bit on the sting. My mom also used ammonia at home for all sorts of stings. Dr. Tichenor's mouthwash, which is somewhat hard to find in the northeast, is a miracle skin remedy for all sorts of problems. Undiluted, for sunburns, poison ivy and the like, it works like a charm. Although I have not used it for jellyfish stings, I imagine it would be effective.

Just got back from the Dawn cruise this morning and everything was perfect! Perfect weather and no jelly fish in site!!! Yay! Everything was great, food, shows, people! I miss it already!

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate you all taking the time to ease my fears!

Happy Cruising everyone,

Patti

Are there typically Man O War at Jobson's Cove? Or just at Horseshoe bay (main beach areas)?

There are not typically Man o War at either. There have not been any very recent reports of any. Usually there are not any this late in the year although no guarantee. If there were Man o War at one of them they likely would be at the other as both are South Shore beaches that are only about a mile apart.