Oosterdam review Sept-20-27

AZNative2000

While our recent cruise (Sept-20-27-2015) aboard the Oosterdam brought some disappointment, it was not enough to put me off HAL or the Oosterdam for our cruise next summer but we did see more evidence of the continued, slow, sinking of our favorite cruise line.

Do not misunderstand, each crew member was terrific as always but there were some staff shortages.

We found the MDR service to be slowing down as there were fewer waiters handling more tables and the sommelier was almost impossible to find. (We eventually did find him.:)) The Lido seemed more crowded with longer lines and open tables harder to find. All staffing issues I guess.

Without starting a whole new dress-code thread, we found multiple issues, including the admission of folks in standard 501 jeans and sneakers (one man also wearing a windbreaker) on GALA night in the MDR. When brought to the attention of the Maitre d, he apologized but said there have been many changes on board, and he was powerless to stop the offenders because, it is their cruise too.

At the show, later that same evening, the cruise director commented from the stage about how nicely dressed some folks were and how others “hadn’t gotten the memo” … and then he said… “what the heck, you’re on vacation, do what you want … right?”:rolleyes:

I guess this is what can happen when rules become suggestions (or, merely, recommendations).

The ship, itself, looks quite ready for the dry-dock she has scheduled for next spring. Carpeting in our room, and many other places, was quite well worn. This kind of thing is to be expected after several years of 24/7 usage. I look forward to seeing her in June, after the dry dock.

Sorry, all you disco-ers, we were told that “Northern Lights” will be gone, replaced by dueling piano bars. There will also be some new cabins.

As for our room, it was quite nice and our stewards were (as always) wonderful and the beds are still the most comfortable out there!

While the dinnerware in the Pinnacle Grill is no longer Bulgari, we found our dinners there to be delicious and the service, outstanding. The maître d came to our table at least twice to make sure all was well. Filets, fish and lamb all cooked to order and delightful. And, in a (for me) welcome step, we found the portions to be slightly smaller. While we can always order more, it was good to not have too much on the plate. After dessert and coffee, we didn’t feel “too stuffed” to go to the show. (We didn't eat at Canaletto.)

As always, Alaska is Alaska and wonderful. Though, rather chilly at this time of year, we were blessed with great weather in each port.

My DB and DSIL were with us (in the next cabin) on their very first cruise and loved that we could "share" the two balconies. They had a wonderful time and debarked with catalog in hand, ready to try to choose their next HAL cruise.:D

We are now counting the days to our next sailing aboard Oosterdam but there are many arrangements to finalize before then.

If there are any questions, just ask.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Interesting- the deck plan doesn't show the changes. I had heard that HAL was going to convert some ships over to a similar layout as Koningsdam with Billboard and Lincoln Center Stage.

Will be interested to hear how it comes out.

Thank you for reviewing your Oosterdam cruise.

What type of dinnerware is now used in the Pinnacle Grill?

While I found no markings, it looked like the old Le Cirque dinnerware orange plates to start.

The photo below (from the web) says Versace plates are in use on the N. Amsterdam.

Could have been the same.

Truly, a plate is just a plate and it is what's on it that counts.:)

Cheers!

DAY12-NA10-08869-2-INSIGHT-CROP-1200x550.jpg.fffc91377ed0855514beb4e885babcda.jpg

Edited by AZNative2000

While I found no markings, it looked like the old Le Cirque dinnerware orange plates to start.

The photo below (from the web) says Versace plates are in use on the N. Amsterdam.

Cheers!

The Chargers that were used on Westerdam say "Pinnacle Grill" on the bottom. I believe the rest of the dishes are likely Rosenthal - HAL standard

We were on the same cruise as AZNative2000. We were also travelling with another couple and had adjoining balconies that we could share.

Our rooms were just fine, staff was quick and efficient, and the food was absolutely wonderful in all the restaurants. The weather was unbelievably good. We had no issues with anyone's dress on Gala Nights.

Our only issue of note was a very unpleasant dining experience in the Pinnacle Grill....this was a wait-staff issue and it was reported to the front office. We will still hesitate to retry the Pinnacle Grill.

This was our third HAL cruise and our second to Alaska and it was the best yet!

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply.

thanks for the review and the info and pic on the PG dinnerware (which looks just fine).

We sailed on the Oosterdam a few years ago and had the same experience as you.

Glad you had a good time overall :)

Do the balcony cabins have refrigerators in them on the Oosterdam?

Thanks

:D

As Cruise Chic said, they are more like coolers.

Officially they are mini-bars but you can have them emptied to allow for whatever you want to put in them. See thumbnail.

Cheers!

06-oodm8021P1000944.jpg.cfb0e4782f2aab7a3a4e4ddcad3fb257.jpg

Edited by AZNative2000

Thanks for posting the review. We're looking forward to trying the Oosterdam this winter.

Do they have BB King? Where do they play? How loud was it? And who plays in the Ocean Bar? (I love the Neptunes and I fear they're being phased out)

I don't like the CD's comment. He could simply have left it at complimenting the people who chose to dress up. Trying to be all things to all people, I guess.

At the show, later that same evening, the cruise director commented from the stage about how nicely dressed some folks were and how others “hadn’t gotten the memo” … and then he said… “what the heck, you’re on vacation, do what you want … right?”:rolleyes:

Not the first time I've suspected that supposedly spontaneous, casual comments of the CD were in reality a way of provoking word-of-mouth to give HAL a new image. Marketing-wise, I guess it would be foolish for them not to, once a change such as dress code is studied and implemented.

Thank you for your review. We were on the 3 day Coastal that followed your cruise, not really long enough to review the ship in depth, and we had a lovely time. I like the new PG chargers, The Bulgari plates always looked sloppily painted to me. Food was excellent. Service was ok. I didn't see signs of wear (and I do look), but, as I said, our time was brief. Aside from the proliferation of strange chairs issue that Oosterdam shares with Zuiderdam we found the ship attractive and well-maintained.

There was a Mariner's Lunch on embarkation day and a Mariner's reception that afternoon with only the HD and CD in attendance. They seemed not to mingle. The HD was a woman, Jessica Schumann, the first for HAL. CD was J.T. "Champagne" was all that was on offer.

Astoria was an interesting port. We had a wonderful tour guide for Cannon Beach/Seaside shorex.

Disembarkation was easy. We cleared US immigration in Vancouver and HAL submitted our Customs forms en masse on arrival. We took early independent so we have no idea if certain people were called aside by customs after we left.

All in all a delightful "lollipop" cruise.

Edited by shrimp56

Thanks for posting the review. We're looking forward to trying the Oosterdam this winter.

Do they have BB King? Where do they play? How loud was it? And who plays in the Ocean Bar? (I love the Neptunes and I fear they're being phased out)

We did not see BB King and heard nothing at all about the Neptunes. They were not a part of any show we saw so, perhaps, they have been phased out already.

Thank you for your review. We were on the 3 day Coastal that followed your cruise, not really long enough to review the ship in depth, and we had a lovely time. I like the new PG chargers, The Bulgari plates always looked sloppily painted to me. Food was excellent. Service was ok. I didn't see signs of wear (and I do look), but, as I said, our time was brief. Aside from the proliferation of strange chairs issue that Oosterdam shares with Zuiderdam we found the ship attractive and well-maintained.

There was a Mariner's Lunch on embarkation day and a Mariner's reception that afternoon with only the HD and CD in attendance. They seemed not to mingle. The HD was a woman, Jessica Schumann, the first for HAL. CD was J.T. "Champagne" was all that was on offer.

Astoria was an interesting port. We had a wonderful tour guide for Cannon Beach/Seaside shorex.

Disembarkation was easy. We cleared US immigration in Vancouver and HAL submitted our Customs forms en masse on arrival. We took early independent so we have no idea if certain people were called aside by customs after we left.

Glad you had a great getaway. We did the coastal (5 days) last year.:)

Cheers!

By "strange chairs," do you mean the ones near the elevators? Someone at HAL must scour the globe for bizarre chairs. Is this a special thing for Vistas? Westerdam had some strange chairs, too. I always do an "art walk" to see what's around the ship. Some is lovely, some makes me go "HUH?"

Cheers!

Versace is used on Nieuw Amsterdam, but only for the Master Chef's Dinner.

Curious what it is now for the "regular" PG dinners.

Unfortunately Hal has decided to dumb down the dress code so the guy in the windbreaker was dressed ok as per their guidelines. Thx for the review.

While I'm not saying I agree with it... any of us that have been posting here for ANY amount of time are all fully aware that Alaska cruises (those dates were an Alaska cruise) are more casual as a general rule of thumb