Train: Sold Out or Not Yet Available?

TMLAalum

I am looking to book an Intercity train #665 from Milano Centrale to Monterosso for 5 October- when I use Trenitalia there is an icon with a crossed out shopping cart that when clicked on says "Sold Out". Same for all other direct intercity trains on Trenitalia. Using Rail Italia an earlier and later direct intercity train do show.

Can it be that the #665 is truly sold out? I would much prefer not to have to make a connection since we will already be connecting via the train from MXP to Milano Centrale.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!

It's just too early. Resellers often go ahead and sell the tickets anyway, assuming that the schedule won't change and refund the sale if it does. This is why trains show up on their systems when the supplier hasn't yet committed to them.

IC trains do not go on sale as far in advance as Frecce tickets do. If you check that particular train is only available for sale right now up until September 9th, a little less than three months from now.

There is always a risk with purchasing a train ticket for the day of an arriving flight. If you get a discounted fare and the flight arrives late the ticket will be useless. The only way to be safe is to build in a lot of pad time between your expected flight arrival time and the train departure time. With this strategy you'll likely wind up wasting a bunch of time hanging around the train station.

It comes down to the cost of your time and the risk you're willing to assume.

For perspective, the #665 for this coming Monday, less than two days from now, is not sold out and this is the high season. It's extremely unlikely that the train will be sold out when you'll be traveling in October so the risk of waiting to purchase the ticket that day is fairly low.

The potential savings is a significant percentage but not a huge actual amount. The last minute walk up (Base) fare is €28,50 while the Super Economy fare is just €12,90. It's reasonable to be willing to lose the entire purchase if you have enough of a time gap between your flight arrival and the 12:10 train departure.

It's just too early. Resellers often go ahead and sell the tickets anyway, assuming that the schedule won't change and refund the sale if it does. This is why trains show up on their systems when the supplier hasn't yet committed to them.

IC trains do not go on sale as far in advance as Frecce tickets do. If you check that particular train is only available for sale right now up until September 9th, a little less than three months from now.

There is always a risk with purchasing a train ticket for the day of an arriving flight. If you get a discounted fare and the flight arrives late the ticket will be useless. The only way to be safe is to build in a lot of pad time between your expected flight arrival time and the train departure time. With this strategy you'll likely wind up wasting a bunch of time hanging around the train station.

It comes down to the cost of your time and the risk you're willing to assume.

For perspective, the #665 for this coming Monday, less than two days from now, is not sold out and this is the high season. It's extremely unlikely that the train will be sold out when you'll be traveling in October so the risk of waiting to purchase the ticket that day is fairly low.

The potential savings is a significant percentage but not a huge actual amount. The last minute walk up (Base) fare is €28,50 while the Super Economy fare is just €12,90. It's reasonable to be willing to lose the entire purchase if you have enough of a time gap between your flight arrival and the 12:10 train departure.

Our flight from JFK arrives at 8:15am. We will not be booking the Malapensa to Milano Centrale train since those run @every 30 minutes but I think we should be okay pre-booking the #665.

We were able to book Monterosso-Civi via the CinqueTerre Express and a Frecciabianca for the day prior to our cruise- but that should be fine- I am a tad concerned about the 9 minute connect time in LaSpezia, but figure the 4e pp could be absorbed if we decide to take an earlier Monterosso-LaSpezia train.

I booked our intercity train Milano centrale to Rapallo for 26 September two days ago on Trenitalia. We aren't dependent on a plane arrival as will be in Milan the night prior. I booked the intercity as it didnt involve any changes unlike the ferro trains and it was actually a few mins faster travel time. We paid 48 euro total for 3 adults. Could have got a 1.05 pm train at 29.90 euro total but we want the extra time in Milan.

• 3 weeks later...

Got IC665!

Was able to book today on Trenitalia, yay! Only one glitch...DH would prefer seats other than those I selected and we cannot for the life of us figure out how to make changes if it is at all possible to do so. We booked 1class at the saver rate (not super saver). Anyone have any advice for us? Grazie mille!

• 2 weeks later...
Not to burst your bubble but 1st class wasn't necessary. 2nd class is perfect

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personal choice to book 1st despite knowing that travel experts such as the Man in Seat 61 and Rick Steves are in full agreement with you.