Forts?

kelkel2

Are they walkable? I heard others say that you should wear comfortable shoes but how difficult are they to find if you are walking and how far are they?

I do a lot of walking at work so I am accustomed to a lot of walking so a walk doesn't bother me, but would you recommend us walking.

I also wanted to stop off at the Coach outlet I heard about. Does anyone have any idea where that is in reference to the cruise ship docks?

I also wanted to stop off at the Coach outlet I heard about. Does anyone have any idea where that is in reference to the cruise ship docks?

There are some nice self-guided walking tours which can be found online. The Coach outlet (and the D&B store) are on Cristo Street ... downhill from El Morro Fort. The stores are very close to the cathedral and El Convento hotel.

We walked to el morro in January. I printed out a walking map so we could see some of the sites and know where they were. We started off heading to the left, went by the Raices fountain, outside the city walls, up to the city gate, thru it, then towards the fort. You really can't get lost. Then on the way back we hit the Catholic Church that is the oldest (?) in the US, and ended up going right by the Coach store. Barrachina restaurant, creator of the piña colada, is around there also. Fun to stop and have one. Lots of little stores to look around in.

We walked to el morro in January. I printed out a walking map so we could see some of the sites and know where they were. We started off heading to the left, went by the Raices fountain, outside the city walls, up to the city gate, thru it, then towards the fort. You really can't get lost. Then on the way back we hit the Catholic Church that is the oldest (?) in the US, and ended up going right by the Coach store. Barrachina restaurant, creator of the piña colada, is around there also. Fun to stop and have one. Lots of little stores to look around in.

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing. We are debating whether we should pay or the walking excursion, print out a self guided tour from the internet, or just go exploring ourselves. I think we'll get a map, but explore on our own. Thanks for your help!

Thank you guys so much!! We aren't really excursion people so I really like to try to find fun things to do like walking around and exploring the sights of the city. I really want to see the forts for sure. They remind me of the old fort in St. Augustine, Florida that I visited as a kid on family vacations!! Love that place. So I figured that would be a great activity. I love a good Pina Colada so I think I will for sure stop in Barrachina. Then someone mentioned a coach store and I figured I had to stop there too!!!

The Forts are definitely worth the time and energy to go and see. I think the best way to do it is to walk west from the pier in Old San Juan (left from the ship) then follow the Paseo de la Princessa to Raices fountain and then up the old city walls until the old city gate. Then you go through and follow the street to the left and go up the hill and you run into El Morro's great lawn. Tour it and then walk across the streets toward San Cristobal or you can even catch the free trolley there and ride over..... it is a good walk though.

Here is the walk by the city walls.

DSCF6750.jpg

This is the view you get when you pass the last building... wham, the Great Lawn where people will be flying kites and having picnics etc. just a really cool place to hang out.

CopyofCopyofIMG_0218.jpg

Getting up to El Morro....almost to the entrance.

DSCF6781.jpg

A view from inside El Morro looking out over the entrance to the San Juan Harbor, looking on some cannon placements.

IMG_3270.jpg

And the views are amazing at both forts....

CopyofCopyofIMG_0234.jpg

Note: that there are two pier in San Juan, most ships will be berthing at the newer Pan Amercan Pier which is (for good walkers) 60 min distance from the Forts. Only when berthing at Old Pier will you be near of all the sights!

Note: that there are two pier in San Juan, most ships will be berthing at the newer Pan Amercan Pier which is (for good walkers) 60 min distance from the Forts. Only when berthing at Old Pier will you be near of all the sights!

Actually, only Royal Caribbean ships are using that pier right now and only when they start the sailing from San Juan. As of now only the Adventure of the Seas is using it. All other ships that make a port-of-call in SJ and the Carnival Valor which leaves from SJ use the docks right in the old city.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you find the walking map? Im having trouble locating one that contains the forts along with the Catholic Church.

Nothing in Old San Juan is more than a mile from where the ships dock, it's all easily walkable:)

Having said that though, there are up and down streets and cobble stoned just as an fyi. We love walking around on our own too and especially love it at night. Find an outside bar and listen to the little singing frogs. SO NEAT !! I love that sound. Coqui frogs. Sounds like ko kee, ko kee....

Edited by fuzzywuzzy

We were in OSJ this past April and took the $10 pp city tour in the white van that gives you an overall tour of "new" San Juan and some of the older buildings around OSJ. At the end, they drop you right off by El Morro or you can stay on the van and be dropped of closer to the shops. We though this was a great way to see more of SJ in an air conditioned vehicle, it was quite hot and humid the day we were there. Afterward touring the fort, we were lucky enough to catch the free trolley back to the ship. Even though I'm an avid hiker, the temps that day would not have been pleasant to walk that distance. For me. Anyway! :p