Flying into London for Anthem of the Seas

OTownNick

We are cruising June 1,2015 on Anthem of the Seas. We were planning on flying in May 30 (arrives morning of May 31). We would be flying back to Orlando, FL on June 13, the day the ship gets back to Southampton.

We've never flown across the Atlantic so I'm not sure what is a good price for airfare. Right now, Choice Air is showing non stops both ways to Gatwick airport for $1,199/pp. we also want to arrange transfers to/from the ship but the Choice Air website keeps saying transfers not available (maybe it's too early or maybe have to arrange it on the phone). The price for Choice Air is actually $10/pp LESS than going through travel sites.

Is this a good price for this time of year? Should we wait or book now? Is Gatwick ok ? All the non stops go here. None to LHR. Prefer non stops.

Any suggestions for us are appreciated.

Edited by OTownNick

We are cruising June 1,2015 on Anthem of the Seas. We were planning on flying in May 30 (arrives morning of May 31). We would be flying back to Orlando, FL on June 13, the day the ship gets back to Southampton.

We've never flown across the Atlantic so I'm not sure what is a good price for airfare. Right now, Choice Air is showing non stops both ways to Gatwick airport for $1,199/pp. we also want to arrange transfers to/from the ship but the Choice Air website keeps saying transfers not available (maybe it's too early or maybe have to arrange it on the phone). The price for Choice Air is actually $10/pp LESS than going through travel sites.

Is this a good price for this time of year? Should we wait or book now? Is Gatwick ok ? All the non stops go here. None to LHR. Prefer non stops.

Transfers are only available when flying in the day of departure. They would be from airport to port.

If you book your hotel through RCI, then you would have to provide your own transportation from airport to hotel but your transfers from hotel to ship would be included. If you book your hotel independently then you would have to provide your own transportation from hotel to port.

Our experience has been that we always get cheaper international flights through Choice Air. I always book flights about 6 months from departure.

Did you check flights into London Heathrow?

If you are flexible with departure dates, check to see what prices are for departing on Thursday or Friday.

Edited by cruisenfever

That's a good price. My flights to Europe this year were $1800 round trip (mid-may depart and early July return). Last year it was $1400. Of course, travel to London is always a little less.

I say that if you are comfortable with the price then snap it up and never look again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Transfers are only available when flying in the day of departure. They would be from airport to port.

If you book your hotel through RCI, then you would have to provide your own transportation from airport to hotel but your transfers from hotel to ship would be included. If you book your hotel independently then you would have to provide your own transportation from hotel to port.

Our experience has been that we always get cheaper international flights through Choice Air. I always book flights about 6 months from departure.

Did you check flights into London Heathrow?

If you are flexible with departure dates, check to see what prices are for departing on Saturday May 30th.

Oh now I know why transfers are not available!

LHR is a little more $ and the flights have stops so that ruled out that airport.

That's a good suggestion to look at flying in a day earlier..I'll have to see if the cost of one more night in a hotel and food offsets a cheaper flight, but I will check.

Thanks for the reply

That's a good price. My flights to Europe this year were $1800 round trip (mid-may depart and early July return). Last year it was $1400. Of course, travel to London is always a little less.

I say that if you are comfortable with the price then snap it up and never look again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would be MORE comfortable if the price were LOWER LOL. I was HOPING I could get plane tix for around $1000/pp.....but this $1199/pp is certainly better than when the fares first opened up a week ago when we were looking at $1,400-1500/pp.

Kirk- yeah you maybe right..no sense gambling on the prices going down $100. Maybe there was a slight price drop due to people being scared of flying due to the recent crazy events we've been seeing.

Edited by OTownNick

I would be MORE comfortable if the price were LOWER LOL. I was HOPING I could get plane tix for around $1000/pp.....but this $1199/pp is certainly better than when the fares first opened up a week ago when we were looking at $1,400-1500/pp.

My experience with Choice Air is that international fares are always higher when they first become available. For flights departing May of 2015, I would not book until at least November/December. I would just check CA every day and even a couple time a day. You'd be surprised how fares will fluctuate.

My experience with Choice Air is that international fares are always higher when they first become available. For flights departing May of 2015, I would not book until at least November/December. I would just check CA every day and even a couple time a day. You'd be surprised how fares will fluctuate.

Awesome. Thanks. I will be patient :)

I am inclined to second Patti's suggestion to book 6 months out.

We booked our one-way flight with Choice Air on BA from BWI [non-stop]to LHR on Feb 3 for an August 27, 2014 flight. It is $398.10 pp. We were very happy with the price compared to what I saw on the airline and third party booking sites. Of course, that is only a one-way ticket for a TA. YMMV

[PS--I looked yesterday at domestic flights for a vacation next summer. The prices are twice what I can get this summer. I feel the airlines are hedging their bets regarding possible high fuel costs for flights this far out. While I am taking a chance that they could go up, I will wait.]

We fly to UK every year around. June-July time and typically prices are in the $1200 range, direct DFW-LHR. This is even booking 6 months out

Choice Air will always be cheaper:)

In the last 5 years the cheapest we have flown in June direct was $749.00 pp

Must of been a sale or a once off offer.

US-UK flights peak as soon as school kicks out in US early June all way through to school holidays in UK which runs till end of August.

If you fly into LGW, this is no problem, actually cheaper to get to Southampton

OP please bear in mind that it will take you approx 1hr longer to travel to Gatwick than Heathrow. It might be a consideration for your transfer back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know. Our flight would leave at 1:45pm so we will just have to leave the ship by 8:00 I am guessing

I am inclined to second Patti's suggestion to book 6 months out.

We booked our one-way flight with Choice Air on BA from BWI [non-stop]to LHR on Feb 3 for an August 27, 2014 flight. It is $398.10 pp. We were very happy with the price compared to what I saw on the airline and third party booking sites. Of course, that is only a one-way ticket for a TA. YMMV

[PS--I looked yesterday at domestic flights for a vacation next summer. The prices are twice what I can get this summer. I feel the airlines are hedging their bets regarding possible high fuel costs for flights this far out. While I am taking a chance that they could go up, I will wait.]

Thanks. I remember cruising Alaska with you guys lol

That's good to know. Our flight would leave at 1:45pm so we will just have to leave the ship by 8:00 I am guessing

If you allowed 2hr trip to either LGW or LHR that would be perfect for which ever you fly out from.

I used to live on South coast near Southampton and commuted to both airports frequently.

So arriving at 10am would work well, grab lunch at airport and you'll be set

Oh now I know why transfers are not available!

LHR is a little more $ and the flights have stops so that ruled out that airport.

That's a good suggestion to look at flying in a day earlier..I'll have to see if the cost of one more night in a hotel and food offsets a cheaper flight, but I will check.

Thanks for the reply

I would talk to Choice Air directly about transfers. We made our flight reservations in February, 2014 for our transatlantic in November, 2014. We're flying to London 3 days prior to our cruise and made transfer reservations from the airport to our hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. We made the flight reservations and the transfers at the same time.

I would talk to Choice Air directly about transfers. We made our flight reservations in February, 2014 for our transatlantic in November, 2014. We're flying to London 3 days prior to our cruise and made transfer reservations from the airport to our hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. We made the flight reservations and the transfers at the same time.

Thanks. I will be able to book the transfer from the ship back to the airport through Choice Air. They told me it would be $101/pp. From airport to hotel 2 days prior to cruise I will arrange transfer through either hotel or on our own

Definitely interested in following. We will be on the Anthem in May going out of Southhampton. We flew to Barcelona a few years ago for a cruise, and airfare on our own was cheaper than choice. I believe we paid around $900 p/p. Will check both prices frequently this time around. We were thinking Heathrow was the better airport to fly into. Is this not the case?

Definitely interested in following. We will be on the Anthem in May going out of Southhampton. We flew to Barcelona a few years ago for a cruise, and airfare on our own was cheaper than choice. I believe we paid around $900 p/p. Will check both prices frequently this time around. We were thinking Heathrow was the better airport to fly into. Is this not the case?

I don't think it matters. Gatwick has all the non stops and that saves about 3 hrs off each flight. That's a big plus.

About 2 hrs after I checked CA online I called them and the airfare already went up $50/pp lol. One thing I learned was the best day to book air may be Tuesday. That is the day most common for prices to drop... As many suggested I'm going to keep checking prices every day.

I was also told by the CA Rep that $1200/pp for this flight is an "average" cost (from Orlando). I would love to get the price under $1,100. That's my place where I may pull the trigger

Edited by OTownNick

Have you looked at the new low cost carrier http://www.norwegian.com/

They don't seem to have their timetable out yet for May/June but a return flight in March is showing as $646pp! It is a new Dreamliner plane. Nonstop to LGW from FLL. For an extra $59pp you can order meals, prebook seats and have one suitcase.

Edited by little britain

They don't seem to have their timetable out yet for May/June but a return flight in March is showing as $646pp! It is a new Dreamliner plane. Nonstop to LGW from FLL. For an extra $59pp you can order meals, prebook seats and have one suitcase.

Oh wow. That sounds awesome. I will have to put that one on my watch list

They don't seem to have their timetable out yet for May/June but a return flight in March is showing as $646pp! It is a new Dreamliner plane.

Norwegian's problems with the Dreamliner are very public, and have been a serious problem for the airline for many months. Just this week, its Dreamliner operations have had a horrible time, with some 40+ hour delays.

I personally don't understand the attraction of choosing a Dreamliner at the present time. Operationally, it's a flying turkey; and more than one airline is pulling its figurative hair out because of it.

We fly to UK every year around. June-July time and typically prices are in the $1200 range, direct DFW-LHR. This is even booking 6 months out

Choice Air will always be cheaper:)

In the last 5 years the cheapest we have flown in June direct was $749.00 pp

Must of been a sale or a once off offer.

US-UK flights peak as soon as school kicks out in US early June all way through to school holidays in UK which runs till end of August.

If you fly into LGW, this is no problem, actually cheaper to get to Southampton

My experience has been much the same. The cheapest I can recall paying was $635 pp and that was in a March during a cold winter.

With the departures of huge cruise ships, the more expensive tickets will e those for day of departure flights.

I can always do better doing my own bookings than I can with Cruise Air but I've been doing this for a very long time.

Transport options are about the same time, but different options from LGW/Gatwick and LHR/Heathrow

LHR: easiest is take the National Express Coach from LHR to Southampton Coach station (don't search cruise terminal that only applies Fred Olson cruises); approx 2hrs

LGW: easiest is take the direct train from LGW to Southampton Central Station; approx 2hrs. Note the direct train currently it doesn't run on Sundays, so this might affect your plans, as a change of trains would be required.

Both would certainly be less than the $109/ea that the cruise line wants.

You can't search either National Express, or Southern Rail's websites more than a couple of months out, but checking for a Sunday some time in early September will give an idea of what's involved. Also southernrailway.com and nationalexpress.com both have advance purchase tickets which are often very inexpensive 5-10GBP/ea

Edited by scottbee