Selecting week long Pacific Coast cruise

We are trying to decide on a week long cruise on the Pacific Coast in April or May for our anniversary. We're debating between the Princess Star and Princess Crown. The main difference is the port of origin. Any advice as to San Francisco or LA as a better place to start and end the cruise? We've never been to anywhere in California except San Diego. Thanks!

We are trying to decide on a week long cruise on the Pacific Coast in April or May for our anniversary. We're debating between the Princess Star and Princess Crown. The main difference is the port of origin. Any advice as to San Francisco or LA as a better place to start and end the cruise? We've never been to anywhere in California except San Diego. Thanks!

SF would be my recommendation, as the Port in LA is a long way from any significant sites. The port in SF is essentially in the downtown.

By the way, the ships are Star and Crown Princess.

Yes, the Crown has noro right now but I would rather embark from LA and have San Francisco as a port stop. You will be right in town with much to do, rather than trying to see sights in LA where everything is spread all over the place. Bear in mind that it will take about an hour to get from LAX to the cruise port in San Pedro. San Francisco is a beautiful city.

Star Princess. The Crown Princess continues to have Noro problems.

(Wonder if they've checked the ventilation system?)

Wow - We sailed on the Crown April 2014. 4 hour delay with embarkation for sanitizing. Our cruise was plagued with NV. We didn't let it ruin our fun though. It was just a different cruising atmosphere for sure. Can't believe it's still going on. We've never embarked in SF, but we have embarked several times in LA. I would think logistics would be much easier in SF. And SF is just a great area. You'll love the Pacific Coastal cruise. It is our favorite cruising area along with Alaska.

Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions. We are also considering the Crystal Symphony from LA which includes a night in San Francisco. The Crystal cruise is quite a bit more expensive but is more all-inclusive and I think a step up from Princess. I know we'll enjoy any of them but want to make the best decision.

Elaine

If you are able to fly into Long Beach rather than L.A. you will be a short taxi ride away from the San Pedro pier. Long Beach is my favorite airport in the Los Angeles area - small, easy to navigate, close to the dock. There are tourist type things to see in Long Beach, including the Queen Mary. I would choose my Pacific Coastal cruise based on itinerary, rather than departure port.

• 3 months later...
If you are able to fly into Long Beach rather than L.A. you will be a short taxi ride away from the San Pedro pier. Long Beach is my favorite airport in the Los Angeles area - small, easy to navigate, close to the dock. There are tourist type things to see in Long Beach, including the Queen Mary. I would choose my Pacific Coastal cruise based on itinerary, rather than departure port.

Not sure anyone is still monitoring this thread but thought I'd try. I posted a separate email inquiring as to what cruise lines do the West Coast - or the best way to find the various itineraries? I hate to have to go to each line's website and search - but will do so, if that is my only way. ;)

Thanks

Basically, all that are left, and frequent the west are Carnival and Princess.

Right now, Norwegian is testing the market. There are a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises, which may be sold out. Holland America is pulling out but they have a few cruises scheduled.

CCL sails from Long Beach, and the rest sail from San Pedro. Rarely, but not unheard of, there will be a San Diego departure.

I don't know of a master list. I have been going back and forth waiting for PCL to release the 2016-17 itin's.

Patti

San Francisco without question. Sailaway under the Golden Gate is an experience you will never forget while sailing out of San Pedro is quite forgettable. And plan to spend some time in San Francisco before or after your cruise. Such a beautiful city and so much to see and do there.

Edited by 2pbears