Noordam - Pacemakers

nat9511

When I cruised on the Westerdam a few years ago they told me the security scanners on the ship were pacemaker friendly. Now that I have one will I be able to go throught the scanners when returning from a port or do I have to get patted down? Also will a knee or hip replacement set off alarms?

I have been told that HAL's "walk-throughs" are safe for pacers and ICDs. However, I err with caution and insist on following doctor's advise and they unhook the ropes and I go around for pat-down, if required. I have never had any problems bypassing the metal detectors. That being said, it is my understanding that you are better off stepping quickly through a walk through metal detector than to have a wand used, which contains a magnet and should not be used closely around the device.

The other subject is TSA full body scanners. While doctors, manufactures, etc advise thay they will not harm pacers and icds, no one will put it in black and white because TSA considers the technology to be classified, so the manufactures can not do detailed test, because they do not know what to test for.

I do not have any concerns walking through a full body scanner if I keep moving as quickly as allowed.

The onboard scanners didn't get triggered by the DW's new knee. But her new knee triggers every scanner at the airport.

The doctors we have dealt with say the cards, at least for joint replacements, are commonly given out any more.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You must look at the information you were given when the pacemaker was implanted. My husbands new pacemaker makes it very clear that he is NOT to be wanded. He just walks through the scanner. They say not to linger in the scanner. His old pacemaker said not to walk through the scanner and be wanded so we can't tell you what to do. If you don't have information, call your doctor and get that information. It's very important to carry with you.

When I cruised on the Westerdam a few years ago they told me the security scanners on the ship were pacemaker friendly. Now that I have one will I be able to go throught the scanners when returning from a port or do I have to get patted down? Also will a knee or hip replacement set off alarms?

The Noordam scanners are the same Pacemaker safe type and you shouldn't need to have a pat down unless you opt for one. FYI most types of the metal detectors are pacemaker safe.

Most of the Medical device manufacturers have information covering travelling with a Pacemaker which covering security equipment and checkpoints.

I have been told that HAL's "walk-throughs" are safe for pacers and ICDs. However, I err with caution and insist on following doctor's advise and they unhook the ropes and I go around for pat-down, if required. I have never had any problems bypassing the metal detectors. That being said, it is my understanding that you are better off stepping quickly through a walk through metal detector than to have a wand used, which contains a magnet and should not be used closely around the device.

Interesting information. I will have to check with my doctor.

You'll be fine w the pacemaker, the precautions are simply set to free the docs/companies from liability. There'd be folks stacked up like cordwood if the scanners weren't causing problems with pacemakers.

As for the new joint, let it go off... gives 'em some excitement in a boring day. Be sure to either look REALLY menacing or completely out of touch w reality. :D

Derek

Hip or knee prostheses don't appear to set off any alarms when boarding the ship, unlike the security alarms at an airport.

My last few cruises it was maybe, maybe not.. I've had a problem only on the initial screening in the embarkation port... mostly not coming back on board from a port.

I have an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. I've always walked through the security detectors on board and never had a problem.

12/2013 Nieuw Amsterdam Western Caribbean 7 days

5/6/2012 Oosterdam Alaska 7 days

1/2012 Eurodam Eastern Caribbean 7 days

5/2011 Westerdam Alaska 7 days

4/2010 Oosterdam Mexico 7 days

5/2009 Westerdam Alaska 7 days

Coming up:

5/2014 Oosterdam Alaska 12 days