Neptune Suite - How perky are the perks?

Firsst time on HAL, Alaskan Cruise in June on the Westerdam in a Neptune Suite= Cat SC. How perky are the perks? Just want to verify that what they advertised is true so I know how to pack. Are the the binoculars and umbrellas worthy or should we bring our own? Free laundry and dry cleaning - is it overnight or does it take two to three days? Can the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge really do everything that they do at the front desk - cash checks? advance cash against the credit card? Can the Concierge really help in dinner seating assignments? Is the Champaigne in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation the only free cocktail they offer? Is there a cash bar in the Neptune Lounge? The in-suite High Tea appeals to me - is it for real? Any advise would be greatly appreciated - what has been your experience and how has having the extra perks enhanced your cruising experience? Thanks!

Edited by saintbernardlover

Firsst time on HAL, Alaskan Cruise in June on the Westerdam in a Neptune Suite= Cat SC. How perky are the perks? Just want to verify that what they advertised is true so I know how to pack. Are the the binoculars and umbrellas worthy or should we bring our own? Free laundry and dry cleaning - is it overnight or does it take two to three days? Can the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge really do everything that they do at the front desk - cash checks? advance cash against the credit card? Can the Concierge really help in dinner seating assignments? Is the Champaigne in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation the only free cocktail they offer? Is there a cash bar in the Neptune Lounge? The in-suite High Tea appeals to me - is it for real? Any advise would be greatly appreciated - what has been your experience and how has having the extra perks enhanced your cruising experience? Thanks!

We've never used the binoculars or umbrella, so can't comment - but they are in the Suite. Laundry and dry cleaning come back fairly quickly - especially if you have it out first thing in the morning. The Concierges are very helpful for dining and excersion questions/problems. I don't know about check cashing or cash advances. If you get stressed about something, they can usually fix it fast! If Neptune has the sparkly wine on embarkation day - that will be it. There is no cash bar. I can't answer the tea in-suite question. There will be a mini-bar in your Suite (at a cost of course).

Others will chime in on the perks they enjoy. For us, we book Neptune Suites (okay, don't laugh) because my DH loves, loves, loves starting the day with a quiet breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

Enjoy your cruise and your Neptune Suite.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Thanks Linda. The breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is definately something my DH is looking forward to. However, I read somewhere that it does not offer Breakfast the first couple of days because the staff is needed in the Lido. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks Linda. The breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is definately something my DH is looking forward to. However, I read somewhere that it does not offer Breakfast the first couple of days because the staff is needed in the Lido. Do you know if this is true?

We were on the Westerdam for 14 days in March. Enjoyed breakfast every day in the Pinnacle. :D The hours will be whatever is posted for the MDR. The breakfast hours will not be posted for the Pinnacle in the daily paper. Even if the Neptune staff says they are not open - check it out yourself. Sometimes there is a miscommunication about those first two days.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Laundry & Dry Cleaning-- EXCELLENT- still find the little tags in mine & my kids clothes and it takes me back to blissful memories. came hope with every suitcase clean clothes & dry cleaned formal wear-- time frame-- quick but not overnight guaranteed- but sometimes back overnight & same day

Concierge- from what I recall yes they can do majority if not all of what front desk does. All we have done is cash Travelers checks

cocktails-- cant recall anything else

cash bar- no

tea- ordered once- not really impressive-

Pinnacle Grill Breakfast-- LOVED- one of the best highlights but I am kind of glad we arent in a suite in 2 months since I need to lose about 20 lbs and Bfast in PG doesnt help HAHA! they were open all days of our cruise

Binoculars- we brought our own- but the one in the room seemed ok

Umbrella- didnt use- we have our ultra light compact umbrellas for shore excursions- so work for us & never felt the need to walk around the ship with an umbrella

We are always up and out of our cabin early every day. The cabin stewards are there at 8 AM and pick up laundry then. We get it back the following evening.

We have used the binolculars -- they are adequate.

The umbrella is a huge golf umbrella. We prefer our small portable ones.

We have always found the Pinnacle to be opened for breakfast every morning of our cruises.

We have never gotten a free glass of champagne in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation day. It was there on the ships we have been in -- which is quite a few.

You would be better to go to the tea in the dining room . That way you chose the tea you want the scones, and other pastries you want. Not just getting a couple of what they choose to send to your cabin.

The concierges can not always get the dining reservations you want.

No check cashing. Advances against your credit card -- I think there is a 3% fee. Some of the concierges can cash Travelers checks -- some can't.

There are no cocktails served in the Neptune Lounge. There will be a cocktail party for the PS and NS passengers the first night of the cruise. Usually held in the Crow's Nest or another lounge -- usually from 7:15 - 8 PM.

There is a no-host mini-bar in your cabin.

We only book PS and NS as we enjoy the larger cabins.

On R and S class ships we always used to book a Neptune suite (then called Deluxe Verandah suite).

Since sailing on Vista class we do not think the extra cost is worth it. For value for money, we prefer the SY (Signature suites).

For the difference in price between the two categories you can buy an awful lot of laundry :rolleyes: (or as we do, get the unlimited laundry package). We will soon be 4 star mariners so will not even have to do that.

We prefer breakfast on our balcony than in the Pinnacle. The hours they are open tend to be too early for us.

We find it is just as easy to use the front desk as the concierge and they are there 24 hours a day.

We do not care for the Neptune lounge. We prefer to sit somwhere we can get a glass of wine :o.

The size of the SY cabins are plenty big enough for the two of us and suit us fine. We tend to do longer than average cruises and so save quite a bit of money.

Edited by English_in_Spain

We love the suite for:

• the large verandahas as we tend to spend a lot of time there
  • Neptune Lounge is fab as you can get coffee or snacks all day and the concierge sorted everything out for us from dining reservations to any other little requests we had
  • the binoculars were fine and luckily we did not need the umbrella :D
  • I think we took our breakfast in the "King's Room" instead of the Pinnacle Grill and it was fantastic!
  • Laundry - can't remember how long it took as I was probably to chilled out to count the minutes ;)

All in all we are not demanding guests and just get surprised over and over again by "perks" when they happen. :)

Most of your questions have already been addressed adequately, but I did want to comment on the High Tea. I thought it was quite nice and a real in-suite treat. They brought plenty of "munchies" and a large box of tea bags ( a number of different flavors). We had 5 adults at our hgih tea and there was plenty for all.

The Neptune staff is also a good source for the many minor questions that come up, like "which deck are we using today for getting off the ship". They are always happy to find out these things for you.

DaveOKC

Thanks to everyone for the info. I use a mobility scooter and we were originally in a HC SY cabin. Two days ago, I got an email for an upgrade at a price that we could afford. I didn't think I would be able to upgrade because usually all the HC cabins are booked, but to my surprise there was one Aft HC cabin available. Since we are celebrating our 30th anniversary, we decided to upgrade and see how we like the Aft stateroom. The Pinnacle breakfast and the in-suite high tea appeals to me because it is difficult for me to do the "buffet" type meal. I hope more people will chime in with any and all suggestions for our upcoming cruise.

Since you are in an Aft cabin, you might consider doing an in-suite dinner on the balcony at least one night. The Neptune staff can arrange it and you get to select items from the main dining room menu, which is delivered to your cabin daily (by the way).

We are on the Westerdam in Sept (SY and hoping for an upsell) - would you mind sharing how much it was for the upgrade, so I can be prepared if they call?

I was in Neptune suite 2 of my last 3 cruises, last cruise we were not, only perk that I missed was breakfast at Pinnacle ( we did use dry cleaning once), my upsells were 299 a person on 10 day Zuiderdam and 499 on 7 day Veendam

I love, love, love the Deluxe Suites, which I guess are now the Neptune Suites.

I've used over half of the available perks. and while I wouldn't describe them as "perky" (to use your words), they're very nice. I especially like the Pinnacle breakfast and the coffee machine in the Lounge, along with being able to drop in there for a quick bite and maybe chat with fellow Suite passengers and get to know them a bit.

Have never heard of laundary taking 2-3 days or not having Pinnacle breakfast because waiters are in the Lido. Used the binoculars to spot whales on the Pacific coast.

Roz

Thanks to everyone for the info. I use a mobility scooter and we were originally in a HC SY cabin. Two days ago, I got an email for an upgrade at a price that we could afford. I didn't think I would be able to upgrade because usually all the HC cabins are booked, but to my surprise there was one Aft HC cabin available. Since we are celebrating our 30th anniversary, we decided to upgrade and see how we like the Aft stateroom. The Pinnacle breakfast and the in-suite high tea appeals to me because it is difficult for me to do the "buffet" type meal. I hope more people will chime in with any and all suggestions for our upcoming cruise.

Just an FYI - if the only reason you booked a HDCP cabin was due to your scooter you should know that a regular SA/SB/SC cabin can easily accommodate a scooter. If you have other reasons, then of course a HDCP cabin would be your choice.

Dave, they did not call, but I received an email. The upgrade was $399 per person total of $800. If I had upgraded without the offer, it would have been about $1600 so I guess that it is a 50% discount. Worth it to me because I have limited mobility and won't be able to do much in ports, especially if it is raining. I am more into the ship and DH is more into the excursions. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a coincidence that a handicapped cabin upgrade was available or did they target us specifically:confused: I do know that the HC cabin we gave up was no longer available within two hours of us changing cabins.

I agree with all the return comments. I would add one thing. Though, as said, the binoculars are adequate I firmly believe that each person have their own set of binoculars. Hard to share when your watching wildlife, glacier calving etc.

Enjoy your cruise and perky perks.;):)

Linda, that is interesting to know. So the scooter would fit through the door? The only other thing in the HC cabin that is helpful is the seat in the shower.

On the Westerdam in our SA Suite in March my rental scooter (Special Needs at Sea) fit through the cabin door with no problems. Now if you own your own very extra-large scooter there might be a problem. There was plenty of room in the cabin for the scooter to sit and be charged overnight. There is a step up into the bathroom you would have to be able to do. I believe you can pre-order a shower seat for the tub and the ship will supply it. Hope this helps.

On the Westerdam in our SA Suite in March my rental scooter (Special Needs at Sea) fit through the cabin door with no problems. Now if you own your own very extra-large scooter there might be a problem. There was plenty of room in the cabin for the scooter to sit and be charged overnight. There is a step up into the bathroom you would have to be able to do. I believe you can pre-order a shower seat for the tub and the ship will supply it. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

True -- in all the SA, SB and SC cabins you will have to be able to get up one step to get into the bathroom.

You can pre-order toilet seat risers, shower chairs. HAL supplies those items with no charge.

Also -- you will need to be able to get over the edge of the bath tub.

We were in an SA on the Westerdam last May for an Alaska cruise. We were not advised of any champagne in the Neptune lounge for sail away, however there was a bottle of champagne in our cabin when we arrived (as well as a bottle of Voss still water.)

While there were no "cocktails" in the Neptune Lounge, we did receive invitations to a cocktail party on the first night of the cruise, which I understood to be a "Neptune suite & penthouse guests" party, with the Captain and officers. That was very nice. Free drinks there. We were also invited to another cocktail party on the last evening or next to last - can't recall now - I thought that was also a suite cocktail party. Again, free cocktails.

Enjoy your suite! And congratulations on your anniversary.

The perks are all provided as advertised.

Our favorite is probably the outstanding services offered by the Concierges in the Neptune Lounge. Should you need anything they will get it taken care of.

My wife has a handicap scooter, also we love the aft cabins in fact our next cruise we will in up spending 145 days in it. You can go to main dining room and up to the ledo easly

The door is wider (our scooter is only 22 inch but door in a standard is only 23.5 inch?- HC is main is 32.5 inch & bathroom door is 32.5 inch on the AMSTERDAM. You should receive a letter for your ship.

Ray