Cabin Must Haves....

momof5cruiseluvrs

We are pretty much cruising newbies. We took our first cruise on the Wonder last year and are cruising on the Allure in November. I've read an over the door shoe organizer is a life saver, magnetic hooks for the walls (for hats, swimsuits, etc), pop up clothes hamper for dirty clothes. What have you found are your must haves for your cabin that make your life easier?

Having just got off a cruise yesterday, here is our must have for next years cruise:

Bathroom spray

Battery powered travel size alarm clock

Watch

Flashlight

And not room related, but over the counter cold type meds. Most of our party ended up with head colds on this last cruise - nyquil/dayquil and cough drops.

I agree on over the counter meds. I usually bring a plastic shoe box with various meds (I should add that i'm not a pharmacy-we have 5 kids so I need kid/adult meds). I usually pack ibuprofen, pepto, immodium, dramamine (kids), bonine (adult), sea bands, hydrocortizone, bandaids, advil cold and sinus, anti itch (bug) stick, benedryl, etc. It's easy just to put the shoe box in a drawer and hopefully never open it. Over the years I've needed less and less in the way of meds. I usually add our sunscreen and aloe vera to the box to make better use of space. I also took bug spray for our excursions last year. I forgot it when we went to Chankanaab and the kids were eaten alive when we went exploring. I was glad to have the anti-itch stick with me.

A highlighter for the cruise compass is a must for me too! The kids had fun with glow sticks for each night (they're so inexpensive). They helped add a little light to the room.

I try to travel light.

I bring clothes pins, either for the clothes line in the bathtub (if available) or to clip a wet top/swim suit to a chair on the balcony.

A mini powerbar/charger for electronics.

I no longer bring my travel clock because a phone or tablet around (in airplane mode).

I've never bothered with the door hanger for stuff. We don't seem to have much bathroom stuff.

I always travel with a variety of meds for pain, allergies, cold, stomach etc and some bandaids.

I took a door hanger that I got at the dollar store on one trip. I used it but it wasn't really necessary so I've never taken one again. I do take a variety of Meds and really strong clip magnets for hanging all sorts of things. Keeps the coffee table tidy.

We normally travel with friends and one item I always take is post-it notes. They are great for leaving notes for the steward or friends. Don't forget a pen.

We bring a pop-up hamper for the dirty clothes. We also don't leave home without or bluetooth speaker. We use a white noise machine, and the speaker makes it easier to control when the phones are plugged in for the night. We will then take the speaker to quietly play music when sitting on the beach or balcony.

Here's my list of items we always take:

1. A small spray can of room deodorizer. I like the ones from Bath and Body.

2. A travel charger to give extra outlets for charging items.

3. A small fold up umbrella and/or rain panchos just in case of rain

4. Note pad / post its and pen(s)

5. List of all prescription meds, dosage amounts and when to take. Read on CC about a lady who became ill on an excursion and unable to communicate. Good to carry off ship just in case.

6. Electrical toys (e.g. e reader, camera, tablet)

7. Fabric laundry bags from the Dollar Store...one for me, one for dh...These pack flat and take up virtually no room. Makes packing day so easy. Just throw the bag in the suitcase.

8. A fold up tote to carry items to the pool deck. Have one that folds into a small attached sack and very compact, so takes up very little space.

9. Antibacterial hand cleaner for when off ship

10. A variety of over the counter meds (e.g. pain reliever, decongestant, anti-acids, bandaids). Usually the gift shop will carry these at a premium price.

What have you found are your must haves for your cabin that make your life easier?

I've gotten into using packing cubes. This has made my life so much easier.

Instead of having to unpack the suitcases, you just pull out the packing cubes. If you pack so that each family member, say, has an underwear packing cube...you can designate one of the drawers to be the "underwear drawer" and the cubes keep everyone's stuff within the drawers separate.

They also help to make "drawers" out of the shelves in the closet pantry.

It also helps to keep the things that CAN be stuffed and packed efficiently separate from the things that you want to unpack and hang up right away.

When it comes time to repack...consolidate what is clean within the cubes and just shove the dirty clothes into what becomes empty. It's generally pretty easy to make it all fit again well enough to repack the suitcases easily.

When I pack my packing cubes, I use what is called the KonMari method. Each packing cube is packed in one layer like a file folder so that you can see everything in the cube at a glance.

Like this:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/12/09/how-a-book-on-clearing-clutter-made-our-travel-packing-easier/

The other thing I bring is a simple folder. I keep the paperwork from the cruise in it, including the compasses, etc.

Toothbrush holders with suction cups. I love them. We just hang them on the mirror and we don't have to worry about them falling. I don't like leaving them in their travel holders and I feel standing them in a cup isn't very sanitary so they work great for us.

magnets are great, after seeing a cruise buddy using them I now take some to at least hang the days Compass on the wall which is very handy.

Usually the Compass I want is hidden somewhere under a mound of stuff.

I make a spreadsheet at home and "put them on my wall" in the cabin with magnets. A separate page for each European port. An empty calendar filled in with port name and times in port. I enjoy research before I leave.

A clothes peg is handy to clip the balcony curtains back.

Lysol spray to use on all surfaces and door knobs before we start the cruise and throughout the trip.