Amsterdam attractions

Ecuador

Are the main attractions within walking distance from docking port or is there a shuttle bus. Want to do Anne Frank House and Tussauds at least, but timings are tight. Also any advice re Anne Frank House as it seems incredibly busy?

As far as I recall everything is in walking distance if you are reasonably fit. We did Anne Frank's house some years ago on our own, walked there and just made sure we got there early. It's one of those difficult decisions as an excursion from the ship will jump the queue but will be expensive and you are tied to times. We are going to Amsterdam again on Arcadia in November.

Are the main attractions within walking distance from docking port or is there a shuttle bus. Want to do Anne Frank House and Tussauds at least, but timings are tight. Also any advice re Anne Frank House as it seems incredibly busy?

Yes, trams that run through town. Very easy to catch and ride.

We did the Van Gough museum last month.

The trams are good, I think it was a no 26 from the port, best check to make sure, you buy the ticket on board and its valid all day. The tram stops show you what number tram you need.

The canal cruises are good too, one ticket and you can get on and off as you please all day, includes earphones and a little map, you could get the canal boat from the railway station, a 15 minute walk (?) from the port.

We walked up to madam tussauds from the port and it was a bit much for me, (bad back) also its not a very smart area to walk through, we got a tram from there to the museum quarter. The shopping area around there is nice, near H&M there is a square with lots of places to sit out with a drink and or food.

IIRC there are no port gates just a very short walk through the terminal and you are on the road. I think you have to cross the road to get to the tram stop then get no. 26 to the Central Station which is a Hub for most of the trams (Or walk to Central Station about 15 mins).

To get to AF house take the 13 or 17 tram from Central Station. Best value is to buy an all day ticket for trams and unless you are early it pays to prebook for the AF House

http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/amsterdam-trams.php

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Definitely go to Anne Frank's house. A very humbling experience.

If you have time, and depending on your taste, there I'd either the Van Gogh or the Rembrandt museum that I seen to recall are next to each other. Very easy to each by tram, and very frequent trams.

Whatever you do, enjoy Amsterdam, it's lovely and down to earth.

Amsterdam is a very strange place but worth a visit. I flew there and caught the train from the airport to the centre. I arrived at the station and witnessed people having sex presumably with prostitutes by the left luggage where some of the many ladies of the night seemed to congregate. A little further along the road on the walk to the hotel there were people injecting drugs in the open and of course there were the ladies openly displaying what they had to offer in shop windows. That was a site you don't see that often.

People asking you if you wanted to see some Dutch culture in shows was all very amusing and all that was seen and experienced with 15 minutes of getting off the train The odd thing was the locals didn't bat and eyelid as all that seemed part of everyday life in this city of unusual cultural experiences. Of course there are some great museums and the canal trips were definitely worthwhile. The hash museum was an experience. Would I go again.........No. But I'm glad I've been there.

Would I go again.........No. But I'm glad I've been there.

I feel much the same and will be docking for the fourth time in November. I'm fairly streetwise but even so my sixth sense was fully switched on at times in Amsterdam. I've done all the sights and now just look forward to visiting their huge Desigual store yay!

Beachmad

Did you require to use a shuttle bus to get to port gate or did you walk to the gate and then catch tram?

What Bee-ess says.

NB There are some stalls selling souvenirs at the port terminal, I found their soft clog slippers much cheaper than in town, €12 compared to my daughter paying €21 in town.

Maybe worth stopping to look and buying on the way back.

We are docked from 9am -6pm.Plan to go to Tussauds, canal trip and then Anne Franks.We have booked for Anne Frank house as it seems so busy.Much cheaper than ship tour. Will we be able to do all this in time scale?

Just near where you are docked, there are also canal boats, hop on hop off. We found that the best way, got off near the AF house. Also, my husband left me in the queue, went to the doors and found that the left hand door was open, so went in and asked a question. He then came back and got me and we went in the left door, missing all the queues. No idea what he said, but it worked! LOL

Just near where you are docked, there are also canal boats, hop on hop off. We found that the best way, got off near the AF house. Also, my husband left me in the queue, went to the doors and found that the left hand door was open, so went in and asked a question. He then came back and got me and we went in the left door, missing all the queues. No idea what he said, but it worked! LOL

That's interesting to know about the canal hop on hop off thank you.