Bernard's Tour from Allure/Oasis

LuCruise

Anyone on the Allure / Oasis who has done Bernard's Tour (i.e. ship docs from 8am - 5pm in St Maarten). If so, is the timing ok? I've heard such great things about St Bernard's Tour, but I'm a little hesitant since it's not an excursion through RCL....so what if the tour runs late in traffic for example and doesn't get us back in time. Anyone had close timing where they were nervous? Or is there really nothing to worry about.

PS - Would also love to hear any feedback if anyone has done this tour with kids 11 and younger. Did they find it interesting or boring?

Edited by LuCruise

You must mean Bernard's tours...

He is awesome. Used him several times and you will not regret using him.

As for doing a private excursion vs ship .... I always use private. So much nice and personal. Do not worry about missing the ship... he is very good and would not want to lose his rep.

Nothing to worry about... he only books via line too....

Have fun and enjoy your time with him.

Yes, I have done it with kids under 11

Anyone on the Allure / Oasis who has done St Bernard's Tour (i.e. ship docs from 8am - 5pm in St Maarten). If so, is the timing ok? I've heard such great things about St Bernard's Tour, but I'm a little hesitant since it's not an excursion through RCL....so what if the tour runs late in traffic for example and doesn't get us back in time. Anyone had close timing where they were nervous? Or is there really nothing to worry about.

PS - Would also love to hear any feedback if anyone has done this tour with kids 11 and younger. Did they find it interesting or boring?

You must mean Bernard's tours...

He is awesome. Used him several times and you will not regret using him.

As for doing a private excursion vs ship .... I always use private. So much nice and personal. Do not worry about missing the ship... he is very good and would not want to lose his rep.

Nothing to worry about... he only books via line too....

Have fun and enjoy your time with him.

Yes, I have done it with kids under 11

Yes, meant Bernard's tours. I have corrected. Thanks.

Did your kids enjoy it?

Bernard goes by reputation and makes sure those on his tours get back to the ship on time. We did his tour with our 16 year old son and 20 year old daughter a few years back when on Allure. One of the best days we had.

The drivers are very accommodating and will work with you to make sure you see what you want and have a great time, but still get back to the ship on time. We even had some time in town after the tour to walk around the port before heading back to the ship.

Our roll call group did a tour with him in 2013 and it was fabulous. I've a family group travelling there in 2017 and we'll book a day-long private tour.

There was a huge car accident creating havoc with island traffic the day we toured, but the driver took back roads and alternate roads to ensure that we were back on time. The company also has a margin of safety built in with all of their times, so I wouldn't worry about missing the ship.

Thanks for all the replies. The Allure gets in at 8am so 8:30am sounds tight (unless 8am means when you can start getting off the ship). But I assume that they group their tours by ship and thus, will wait for you.

Thanks too for the feedback about kids. We recently did a boat tour in NY city along the harbor. DH and I though it was great but after 30 minutes, our kids were bored (beginning was neat for them though...then the novelty wore off). So that is why I wonder if they would be bored on a formal tour where they show you around from point a to b.

Thanks for all the replies. The Allure gets in at 8am so 8:30am sounds tight (unless 8am means when you can start getting off the ship). But I assume that they group their tours by ship and thus, will wait for you.

Thanks too for the feedback about kids. We recently did a boat tour in NY city along the harbor. DH and I though it was great but after 30 minutes, our kids were bored (beginning was neat for them though...then the novelty wore off). So that is why I wonder if they would be bored on a formal tour where they show you around from point a to b.

I had the same concern. We're on Oasis in November and booked Bernard's. I asked him if that was enough time for us to get from the ship to their meeting spot, and he replied that we would have plenty of time to get there - no problem. Considering that he does this every day pretty much, I guess I'll take his word for it. Looking forward to our tour with him. :)

I have used Bernard 3 times in the past and am using him again in December. One of those times we had grandchildren with us and they loved every minute of it. You can't go wrong with Bernard

Since my family love the beach in St. Martin, does Bernard do beach excursions? We will be a family of 7 and want a calm beautiful beach with umbrella's, chairs and a place to eat lunch- Any suggestions.

Thanks

Anyone on the Allure / Oasis who has done Bernard's Tour (i.e. ship docs from 8am - 5pm in St Maarten). If so, is the timing ok? I've heard such great things about St Bernard's Tour, but I'm a little hesitant since it's not an excursion through RCL....so what if the tour runs late in traffic for example and doesn't get us back in time. Anyone had close timing where they were nervous? Or is there really nothing to worry about.

I haven't read all your replies yet, but I have done the tour from Allure and the people at Bernards are very professional and very aware of the timing issues. If your ship is a few minutes late arriving, rest assured they will know about it. For those of you afraid of private tours, this is an example of a company that does it right.

Since my family love the beach in St. Martin, does Bernard do beach excursions? We will be a family of 7 and want a calm beautiful beach with umbrella's, chairs and a place to eat lunch- Any suggestions.

Thanks

With 7 people you may want to see about a private tour with them that lets you set the agenda. I took the public tour in 2011, when I went back in 2013 they had shortened the time at Orient beach and added an "Iguana farm" or something like that. This wasn't to my liking, but it wouldn't defer me from saying they run a good business. In 2013 people from our cruise got their own tour and loved it.

With 7 people you may want to see about a private tour with them that lets you set the agenda. I took the public tour in 2011, when I went back in 2013 they had shortened the time at Orient beach and added an "Iguana farm" or something like that. This wasn't to my liking, but it wouldn't defer me from saying they run a good business. In 2013 people from our cruise got their own tour and loved it.

Good idea for the larger groups as the person asked.

This is one of my things too as I would like to stop an have a good amount of time at the beach (although as mentioned Orient is not my first choice with kids) We're only a family of 4 so we'd do the public group tour but of course, that means that things can be switched on you.

Overall though, it does look great and I've really only read good reviews.

Edited by LuCruise

Based on all the great reviews/recommendations here on CC, we used Bernards Tours for a St. Marten tour on our cruise in 2013. We did the Island Tour II and it was a great experience. We actually booked with them again the following year, but unfortunately our ship was re-routed completely, so I had to cancel. Cancelling was not big deal either, they gave me a full refund no questions asked.

I'd definitely recommend them and the island tour. It's a nice taste of everything on the island.

As part of our tour we went to Orient Beach, so you can definitely get some beach time. I wouldn't worry about the Orient Beach with kids (we brought our 10 year old daughter), it's not that big a deal, but I guess that all depends on how easily offended you are. If you're easily offended by 60+ yo men and women dressed in interesting bathing suits, than I suppose it's not for you. Is it really that much different than any other beach though? Not in my experience.

Thanks...Cruise critic is great as you can get opinions from those that have actually experienced it. With Orient beach, it's both the topless thing and also I've heard the waves are a bit rougher...but I don't think that'll stop us from going. It just wouldn't be my choice of beach if just doing a beach day.

Two more questions:

1. Are kids the same price as adults (i.e. $45)?
  2. How do you pay the balance? By credit card by USD cash? (assuming that it is USD)

Thanks...Cruise critic is great as you can get opinions from those that have actually experienced it. With Orient beach, it's both the topless thing and also I've heard the waves are a bit rougher...but I don't think that'll stop us from going. It just wouldn't be my choice of beach if just doing a beach day.

Two more questions:

1. Are kids the same price as adults (i.e. $45)?
  2. How do you pay the balance? By credit card by USD cash? (assuming that it is USD)

Actually, the beach was a little bit rough the day we went. My daughter lost her sunglasses within the first 10s econds after a wave smashed into her, lol. So, yes, you probably need to be a bit more vigilant on that beach but it's not that bad. If I recall correctly, the beach has a non-nude side as well, which is where we went. I might be mixing that up with another beach though, but I never really noticed any topless sunbathers.

I'd suggest you request a tour with a group to a different beach, as I am pretty sure they are very accommodating and go with the majority (assuming it fits the schedule).

I payed in USD (I am from Canada) through PayPal. It was a $15 deposit ($5 per person) and $45 per person total, regardless of age, for Tour II in December, 2014. Honestly, that's pretty cheap for what you get compared to other islands that can charge $75+ per person [which still isn't that bad!].

Actually, the beach was a little bit rough the day we went. My daughter lost her sunglasses within the first 10s econds after a wave smashed into her, lol. So, yes, you probably need to be a bit more vigilant on that beach but it's not that bad. If I recall correctly, the beach has a non-nude side as well, which is where we went. I might be mixing that up with another beach though, but I never really noticed any topless sunbathers.

I'd suggest you request a tour with a group to a different beach, as I am pretty sure they are very accommodating and go with the majority (assuming it fits the schedule).

I payed in USD (I am from Canada) through PayPal. It was a $15 deposit ($5 per person) and $45 per person total, regardless of age, for Tour II in December, 2014. Honestly, that's pretty cheap for what you get compared to other islands that can charge $75+ per person [which still isn't that bad!].

We're from Canada too. :) Thanks for confirming about the cost.

Good idea about the beach...we can always ask if there is a tour group that is hitting a different beach. Doesn't hurt to ask. It does sound rough the way you describe your daughter and the wave/sunglasses. Thanks for the feedback.

Took my 5 and 13 year old boys on this tour last December. They enjoyed it. They try to keep it interesting with a few stops focusing on the kids. The tour stops on the road where the iguanas are and gave my young one bread to feed them. Also they stop along the side of the road by this islander that collects sea urchins and other sea creatures. He loved it but my son follows in my footsteps and loves everything about the Caribbean. Sure your kids will too. Of course the stop at Maho Beach he liked because of the beach and the planes. The most boring part for him was when we stopped in Marigot when we had free time. The only disappointing part of the tour was we didn't get to stay at Orient Beach due to the seaweed there at the time. Not sure if it's gone or not, hope so we will be back in St. Martin in April. No issues with the time, they know they have to get you back in time or they will hear about it on here.

Took my 5 and 13 year old boys on this tour last December. They enjoyed it. They try to keep it interesting with a few stops focusing on the kids. The tour stops on the road where the iguanas are and gave my young one bread to feed them. Also they stop along the side of the road by this islander that collects sea urchins and other sea creatures. He loved it but my son follows in my footsteps and loves everything about the Caribbean. Sure your kids will too. Of course the stop at Maho Beach he liked because of the beach and the planes. The most boring part for him was when we stopped in Marigot when we had free time. The only disappointing part of the tour was we didn't get to stay at Orient Beach due to the seaweed there at the time. Not sure if it's gone or not, hope so we will be back in St. Martin in April. No issues with the time, they know they have to get you back in time or they will hear about it on here.

Good to hear that your kids enjoyed and they made sure the kids were interested. Yeah..Maho beach is a big one as I'm sure they'll love that. The iguana farm sounds neat too. Really? So you signed up for the beach option and you didn't stay there? In that case they should find another beach. We'll also be there in April (same week, different ship).

Edited by LuCruise

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone on the Allure / Oasis who has done Bernard's Tour (i.e. ship docs from 8am - 5pm in St Maarten).

I have done so. Rest assured, the people at Bernard's know the ship's schedule as well as the ship's crew!

• 3 weeks later...

It's just me and my wife going to St. Marteen in March. Really not sure which tour to take. We like beach time, but want to get the most out of our time on the island. Can you recommend which tour is best? Or should I try to team up with other people on the ship for a private tour?