Diana359

Good Morning Everyone!

I haven't booked a cruise yet, but I will. I am now reading all that pertains to Solo Cruisers and what I have noticed is Crystal Cruises is the way to go! Do you just look up that Cruise or did you book thru a Travel Agent? The more info I have the better decision I will make. Thanks in advance. I am thinking of an August cruise.....

Diana

Welcome to the world of cruising! I am going on my 50th cruise in April yet I still book with my agent, although I am more than capable of doing my own booking. Look on Google for cruise vendors. You will find one that has a "90 day ticker,", which is great for getting an idea about which cruises are on sale, deck plans and other information. Take that information to an agent recommended by other travelers, someone familiar with cruises. It will cost you nothing and you will get advice tailored to your specific needs. Travel insurance is a necessity also, but do not buy from your cruise line. Your agent can help you with that as well.

I always use a travel agent. I feel she knows who to talk to if there is a problem where I might get the run around. She also gives some kind of a gift - onboard credit, dinner at a specialty restaurant, a bottle of wine, etc.

Enjoy your solo cruise. I've cruised about 130 days solo and love it. I have never felt lonely and have the freedom to do as I please.

A number of factors, all personal, help in choosing a cruise line. Crystal is one of top luxury cruise lines. The line includes alcoholic beverages in the price of the cruise. They attract mostly middle and upper age people who can well afford the luxury price. There are Ambassador Hosts who ballroom dance with the ladies. They tend to attract older single ladies for that reason.

Less affluent cruisers choose other lines. Another factor is whether you are an itinerary traveler set on seeing exotic places or someone who just wants a relaxing resort type vacation. Carnival, NCL, and RCCL appeal more to the resort getaway vacation. Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America are more itinerary lines, although they do have both types of trips. Women are much more likely to cruise than men. Younger men can probably be found on Carnival, NCL, and RCCL.

Someone would need to know more about you to determine your best cruise.

Time is another factor that should be weighed into the cruise decision. If you are working and have limited time, you may want to pay the extra money for a more expensive cruise. After retirement, you may want to spend less so that you can go on two or three cruises a year, hence, looking for bargain cruises.

We used Vacations to Go several years ago. I didn't think they were any cheaper at the time but maybe their policies have changed. We booked through them because of the onboard credit they gave us. Some cruiselines (RC for one I think) require that their prices are the same. So the travel agents try to make themselves more favorable by offering more personalized service (filling out online checkin for you, printing cruise documents, booking entertainment, etc) or by being less service oriented but offering you onboard credit. VTG are in the second category imo.

Welcome to Cruise Critic:)......just thought I would pass this on to you

about one of the Cruise Critic policies.....naming Travel Agencies is

not allowed.......

As for Crystal being the way to go? That would depend on the person

and that person's finances.....I know there are few folks that post on

here who love Crystal and maybe they will see your post and answer

some of your questions.

Many of us sail other lines though so there really is not 1 line for

everyone.

Many folks sail Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL. I sail Celebrity and

have always enjoyed their product.

It is called Different strokes for different folks:D:);)

Good Morning Everyone!

I haven't booked a cruise yet, but I will. I am now reading all that pertains to Solo Cruisers and what I have noticed is Crystal Cruises is the way to go! Do you just look up that Cruise or did you book thru a Travel Agent? The more info I have the better decision I will make. Thanks in advance. I am thinking of an August cruise.....

Diana

I certainly think Crystal is the best value for solo travelers, but I did look at other options before booking my first Crystal cruise......that's how I decided Crystal was likely to be the best value. It not only offers me a reasonable single supplement (was 25%, now 30%), but it also offered me many things that I really wanted (no upselling (almost all inclusive), excellent food, traditional dining, dance Hosts).

I used that agency once. They tried to sneak through an extra $300 on my invoice which- surprise- made it the same as my regular agent. Gave them another chance- "Umm, I think that quote includes taxes". Adding back taxes -surprise- same price as my regular agent.

My Crystal cruise was the most expensive cruise I have ever taken, and almost as boring as Holland America. To make a rough estimate, for half the price, I'd consider it an acceptable value, comparable to Cunard (who also have dance hosts).

Edited by Dancer Bob

Start with one cruise line, but even if you like it don't be afraid to try others as well. I haven't had a bad cruise yet, and I basically go for whichever price/itinerary looks best for a time that works for me.

I tend to book on pretty short notice--2 weeks to 2 months out--so I can get very good pricing. Obviously not everyone can do that and even if you can you risk missing out on a particular cruise if it sells out.

You might start by reading the Cruise Critic reviews of the different cruise lines on this site. (The ones by Cruise Critic staff, not by passengers like you and me...though they can be helpful too!) Then pick a couple lines that sound appealing to you and start looking at pricing/itinerary/cabin options. Then just go for it! :)

Hi Diana,

I use an online website to do my booking. It's great because it has a ton of info about all the cruise lines, their ships, what to wear etc.

You have to decide which line is best for you. Everyone is different and what you may find enjoyable someone else may not enjoy at all.

I'd say definitely do a lot of investigating, decide what's important to you, and when you've made your choice, enjoy the days leading up to your sail away.

The only thing I will advise is thinking about a shorter cruise 3-5/3-6 days as opposed to and 8,9 or even 10 day trip. Just in case you find cruising solo isn't for you.

If you would like the name of the online travel site I use feel free to message/email me.

Good luck and happy cruising

Patty

Hi Diana,

I use an online website to do my booking. It's great because it has a ton of info about all the cruise lines, their ships, what to wear etc.

You have to decide which line is best for you. Everyone is different and what you may find enjoyable someone else may not enjoy at all.

I'd say definitely do a lot of investigating, decide what's important to you, and when you've made your choice, enjoy the days leading up to your sail away.

The only thing I will advise is thinking about a shorter cruise 3-5/3-6 days as opposed to and 8,9 or even 10 day trip. Just in case you find cruising solo isn't for you.

If you would like the name of the online travel site I use feel free to message/email me.

Good luck and happy cruising

Patty

Morning Patty,

Thanks for the info. My male friend decided to join me. And we decided to do a River Cruise for 2016. I couldn't find your email address. Mine is daudiffred54@gmail.com for the online travel site. Thanks

....there goes another solo cruiser! Guess I'm really on my own, especially on Oceania. Haha

Sounds like I should have investigated Crystal, but I do like Oceanias port intensive itineraries. Any tips on how to find the adventure set are much appreciated, one "paid" ballroom dance for me is probably enough. Unless he wants to talk old rifles and ammunition......

If nothing else, it shall be a new adventure!