New to River Cruising - Which cruise line?

vmarq

We have done many ocean cruises and prefer Celebrity for that. Would appreciate recommendations for river cruise lines through Europe. Am thinking the Danube and possibly Rhine rivers.

Thank you in advance.

Vicki

Because this is the most frequent question asked on these pages our host has a sticky thread at the top. May I suggest you give that a read then you would probably have more specific questions to ask.

We all have our favourite lines and what might be great for me may not even be on your list. Whatever cruise you choose with whatever company will probably make you as addicted to river cruising as most of us are.

We have done two on Vantage and have one booked for next year. Vantage is great and always cheaper than Viking.

We did one AMA when the Vantage schedule didn't match ours and it was great, but AMA's prices have increased and is now significantly more than Vantage and for that matter Viking.

Since you are new to river cruising, let me warn you about two practices on Viking that are different (and IMHO significantly worse) than most other lines: (1) they are constantly touting a "2 of 1" sale -- but nobody has ever paid more than this, so it is a very deceptive practice; (2) they require payment in full 12-18 months out, while most other lines only require a small deposit with full payment not due until 60-90 days out. I'm not saying that Viking doesn't offer a good product, but do your research before you make a booking.

Since you are new to river cruising, let me warn you about two practices on Viking that are different (and IMHO significantly worse) than most other lines: (1) they are constantly touting a "2 of 1" sale -- but nobody has ever paid more than this, so it is a very deceptive practice; (2) they require payment in full 12-18 months out, while most other lines only require a small deposit with full payment not due until 60-90 days out. I'm not saying that Viking doesn't offer a good product, but do your research before you make a booking.
I have sailed with Viking on the Elbe and on the Dnepr and was pleased with the product, but agree their sale policies (similar to Oceania I might add) are grossly misleading. Even though Viking brochures distributed in the US list a Woodland Hills CA address, they usually process payments through Basel Switzerland causing you to incur substantial Foreign Transaction Fees.

Thom

I have sailed with Viking on the Elbe and on the Dnepr and was pleased with the product, but agree their sale policies (similar to Oceania I might add) are grossly misleading. Even though Viking brochures distributed in the US list a Woodland Hills CA address, they usually process payments through Basel Switzerland causing you to incur substantial Foreign Transaction Fees.

Thom

Our last Vantage cruise, Budapest to the Black Sea, processed our on board ship expenses through Cypress and that is where the ship was registered.If you have a Capital One card (there are several others too) you will not be charged any foreign transaction fees. I got one and use it only when I travel outside the US.

Last July, we paid in full for our Viking "COl" cruise (26 March) through our TA using AX. There was no transaction fee even though our AX card charges 2.7% FTF. We live in the US.

For our trip, which includes an extra 7 nights in Paris (on our own) we have a no FTF Visa card to use as our main CC (AX for backup).

Bruce

Our last Vantage cruise, Budapest to the Black Sea, processed our on board ship expenses through Cypress and that is where the ship was registered.If you have a Capital One card (there are several others too) you will not be charged any foreign transaction fees. I got one and use it only when I travel outside the US.
Yes, I have a Cap1 card as well as a PenFed card with CHIP for use outside the US - neither has a Foreign Transaction Fee. BUT I also have an AARP card with 3% rebate on travel expenses; I had used this to pay Viking in CA and was blindsided with FTF when they processed through Switzerland. We are getting ready to do Vantage's Treasures of France, and I had recently learned here on CC that on-board charges were likely to be processed in Cyprus.

Thom

I'm amazed Viking still requires full payment so far in advance but I guess that is how they finance all the new builds. I always wondered how easy it is to get their money back if the person canceled later on.

Vikings food is not their strong suit but otherwise we were satisfied. We got a last minute deal that was good.

Edited by sammiedawg

I'm amazed Viking still requires full payment so far in advance but I guess that is how they finance all the new builds.

I am 99% sure that Viking leases all (if not most) of their ships. They will continue to require payment 12 months in advance as long as we, the consumers, allow them to. It has an incredible impact on cash flow.

Look how much of a discount Uniworld gives for a "pay in full" sale 12 months away. In most cases they shave $800 per couple per trip and it brings the price closer to Viking.

Edited by Los_Pepes

We just booked a May 2016 Viking River cruise and the invoice from our travel agent does not require payment in full until December 2015.

We just booked a May 2016 Viking River cruise and the invoice from our travel agent does not require payment in full until December 2015.

That's still 7 months ahead. Most cruise lines ask for payment in full 90 days ahead. Problem is when you pay that far ahead of time, Viking gets the interest on your money, not you!!

That's still 7 months ahead. Most cruise lines ask for payment in full 90 days ahead. Problem is when you pay that far ahead of time, Viking gets the interest on your money, not you!!

"Interest?" What is that? :cool:

If you think that Viking (or any cruise line) is just sitting on your money until you take the cruise, I have some nice property in the Everglades and a bridge somewhere in NYC for sale.

They are using that money for "cash flow" and paying current expenses out of future money.

Bruce

If you think that Viking (or any cruise line) is just sitting on your money until you take the cruise, I have some nice property in the Everglades and a bridge somewhere in NYC for sale.

They are using that money for "cash flow" and paying current expenses out of future money.

Bruce

Sorry Bruce, but I already own the Bridge and I don't like pythons so I'm not interested in Everglades. :D

Personally we like Viking. We know that we are paying up front. No biggie. We know their sales tactic of the 2 for 1. No biggie. In the end, it is the cruise that counts and they deliver. BUT, everyone has their own favorite for different reasons. It is what is important to you. What I wouldn't trust are peoples opinions that have not cruised a certain line but feel the need to bash it. That goes for all cruise lines.

Edited by jiminyC_fan