Oasis or Freedom Class?

I took my 15 year old son on the Enchantment of the Seas (Vision class) for a 3 day cruise prior to him having major surgery. He loved it.

This year he is going to be in a wheelchair most of the year due to back to back surgeries and healing times. . . I'd like to plan a nice, and longer, cruise for him to enjoy once all of this is behind him and he can enjoy a terrific cruise.

I've had friends on the Freedom class ships who raved about them, but the Oasis ships are in a whole 'nother category. I'm wondering which would be the best bet in 2015?

DS loved the hot tubs, the music in some of the venues, FUEL (the teen club) and discovering the ship. He also loved Nassau (his first time out of the States).

Can you please give me your recommendations of Freedom or Oasis -- and tell me why you prefer one over the other (keeping a 16 year old boy in mind)?

Either ship would be a great choice. Both will seem like a whole new world after sailing on Enchantment. There will be plenty to explore and discover on both ships. However, if he is into entertainment then I will say that I feel the Aqua Theater is a major draw for me. There is nothing like it and the water shows on any other class of ship out there.

First off, good luck to your son.

We've been on the Independence of the Seas twice and have #3 and #4 already booked. Your son will have a ball on a Freedom class ship and will be amazed with the ship. The big thing is that you can get a deently priced cruise on a Freedom class ship. We got a 7 day for around $1000 tips included for 2 people. You'll never get that on an Oasis class. I'd vote Freedom class.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Which itineraries are you looking at?

That isn't really important to us -- we're interested in the overall experience!

I do like the looks of the itinerary for Freedom -- I've never been to Mexico!

Both classes will have a lot of "wow" factor coming off the Enchantment (nothing wrong with her but they both pack a lot more punch).

We have done 3 Libertys and a Freedom, then did Allure this year. There was nothing wrong with Allure but for the extra cost over the Freedom class, didn't feel like there was any extra Wow with it.

Everyones opinions differ, but we felt like we were at a resort more than on a cruise, the ship is the destination, the fact that is moving and there are some islands outside is kind of irrelevant.

Headed back to Independence later this year to see how Freedom class compares after being on Oasis class but think we prefer Freedom.

This year he is going to be in a wheelchair most of the year due to back to back surgeries and healing times. . . .........

DS loved the hot tubs, the music in some of the venues, FUEL (the teen club) and discovering the ship. He also loved Nassau (his first time out of the States).

Can you please give me your recommendations of Freedom or Oasis -- and tell me why you prefer one over the other (keeping a 16 year old boy in mind)?

I love both classes, but I am going to key in on these two points. As for the wheel chair, Oasis'c class Promenande is a bit wider and as is the upper deck and pool areas and the Solarium is bigger (at 16 he can use the Solarium.) I actually think he will be less crowded in a wheel chair on the Oasis class. Add in that this Oasis class doesn't have tender ports like the Freedom does so that also may be a point in favor of the Oasis class.

The hot tubs are almost a toss up.

I went on the Liberty my first two cruises for 7 days and loved it. Then I tryed the Oasis class.

I agree with some other posters I would try Freedom Class first and work your way up. But I would go on price and ports of call first.

Edited by trev71