Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I agreed with you!!! I'm very upset!!! I do not want to eat in the Windjammer for dinner. I like meeting people having the same waiter who knows what you like. I'm a fussy eater and I never had trouble. With DD I don't know. RCI you should have more the 3 restaurants. Sorry but if this don't work out I will be thinking of changing cruise line.

I'm sorry but I am well and truly confused:confused:

You are happy with 1 restaurant but 3 is not enough:confused::confused:

And you are more than able to request the same restaurant every night, the same time every night, even the same waiter every night from what I understand. Oh and they still have the simple menu as well so I'm at a loss as to why you even think you have to eat in the windjammer if you don't want to:confused:

Don't know for sure, but I would expect the website to prevent multiple reservations on the same night.

And I'll add to that, we booked our Quantum entertainment times first, then the dining times. When we booked our dining times and selected a restaurant and time, the system wouldn't let us reserve it if there was a conflict with the show times we reserved. Example, you couldn't reserve a 6 pm main show and 7 pm dinner. I thought RCI planned this out pretty well for DD and Entertainment scheduling to work for cruise passengers.

I do see a problem for those that don't reserve early enough to coordinate their entertainment and dining times.

I'm sorry but I am well and truly confused:confused:

You are happy with 1 restaurant but 3 is not enough:confused::confused:

And you are more than able to request the same restaurant every night, the same time every night, even the same waiter every night from what I understand. Oh and they still have the simple menu as well so I'm at a loss as to why you even think you have to eat in the windjammer if you don't want to:confused:

Really bad logic. It really doesn't matter where someone sits to have dinner, it's the menu. On a 7 night cruise, there are 7 unique menus. The restaurants in DD have the same menu all week, or possibly a menu change mid-week. If you consider that some people might not like the cuisine in one of the restaurants then your choice are nearly cut in half. Far fewer choices, it's not difficult.

Here is what they need to do. Don't allow booking reservations until 90 days out, then let the suites and pinnacle have first choice, then a day or two later open up to D+, then diamond, and so on. Reward suites and loyalty with best slots. Won't cost anything either. They do that with wow sale now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Really bad logic. It really doesn't matter where someone sits to have dinner, it's the menu. On a 7 night cruise, there are 7 unique menus. The restaurants in DD have the same menu all week, or possibly a menu change mid-week. If you consider that some people might not like the cuisine in one of the restaurants then your choice are nearly cut in half. Far fewer choices, it's not difficult.

Firstly I was replying to someone who wanted same table, same wait staff so that's why I bought it up about seating.

Maybe I'm just excited about being able to choose my menu, and yes it does change midweek. But with the current MDR menu you are told which menu you have each night with no flexibility. There are nights that the menu is less than appealing so I choose from the simple menu, which will still exist in all DD restaurants.

Yes maybe there are 7 menus in current MDR but that doesn't mean it caters to everyone's taste. With the new DD menus there is at least two items that I would have a dilemma choosing from and that's only one of the menus, we haven't even seen the rotating menu options yet. At least I have the option of choosing both items with the new set up. On the old MDR menus if there was a night I liked the menu, you couldn't go back the next night and request something that was on yesterday's menu. Also most picky eaters I have travelled with order from the daily simple menu anyway which will be similar and still exist.

I'm not saying DD is my preference. We will continue to sail MDR or DD, but even with 4 or 6 menus to choose from, depending on whether you are happy to dress up, I am finding it completely irrational to say that there is now nothing to eat on board.

If you rationally went through each menu I am sure the majority of people would, like me, find more than one option that suits their taste. Multiply that by your worst case scenario of 4 menus and I could comfortably find eight different meals Just from two restaurants. Oh and the simple menu is available in all the restaurants regardless of cuisine so no, if you are happy to eat from simple menu then no it does not reduce your options. And yes I have dietary restrictions due to allergies

Edited by Spurschick

Exactly! Not to mention the fact that if you don't want to dress formally, that eliminates one of the included restaurants!

Exactly! Not to mention the fact that if you don't want to dress formally, that eliminates one of the included restaurants!

And yet you booked a freestyle dining cruise with NCL and a rotating dining schedule with Disney if I am not mistaken:confused: yet you won't even give DD a chance.

And yet you booked a freestyle dining cruise with NCL and a rotating dining schedule with Disney if I am not mistaken:confused: yet you won't even give DD a chance.

I booked the NCL cruise because I wanted to do a Hawaiian cruise just around the islands without having to cruise from the west coast to/from Hawaii. I didn't care much for the dining arrangement. So in a way I did give DD a chance, on the NCL cruise.

The Disney cruise does indeed rotate dining rooms, but the menu is different every night.

Edited by time4u2go

I booked the NCL cruise because I wanted to do a Hawaiian cruise just around the islands without having to cruise from the west coast to/from Hawaii. I didn't care much for the dining arrangement. So in a way I did give DD a chance, on the NCL cruise.

The Disney cruise does indeed rotate dining rooms, but the menu is different every night.

Well I hope you find a cruise that suits your dining preferences in the future. I still hope you try the DD before completly disregarding it though.

Really.... Since when did voicing your opinion or stating what you hope will happen become whining???

Very well said. The verdict is still out. Unfortunately some folks have already made their decision before the trial has even begun.

^^ This.

What makes you think it will be any different in the Grande? Also, Grande is smart casual on embarkation day which gives you another option if you do not wish to dress up.

Has there been any more information on the relaxing of the formal dress code. there was some discussion on that earlier. I for one hope they do not relax it so there will be more slots available :D

I seem to recall that a jacket and tie would be acceptable. works for me

Has there been any more information on the relaxing of the formal dress code. there was some discussion on that earlier. I for one hope they do not relax it so there will be more slots available :D

I seem to recall that a jacket and tie would be acceptable. works for me

I would have to search to find the source, but the dress code as I remember it stated a jacket but not a tie (IMO, it will likely be relaxed to remove the jacket).

Just don't get why people cruise only for food. Won't even try DD before boycotting the cruise line.

It's not so much the food as the cost. I do not eat in specialty restaurants. I paid for a cruise that includes meals, I don't feel I should have to pay extra for something that is normally included.

As to another poster, yes DD and Freestyle are exactly the same thing. Where exactly do you think RCI got the idea?

I don't have to have cruised on NCL to have looked into it and figured that out. In both you have a limited number of complimentary restaraunts and many, many for-fee restaurants. It's clear that the goal is to get you to pay more for something that has traditionally been free on cruises.

My comments about this:

Picky eaters. Seven different menus on seven different nights.

No, not really.

Most nights, there is a fish dish. What if your picky eater doesn't like fish? Doesn't matter if it is a different fish or the same fish every night.

Many nights, there is a lamb dish. What if your picky eater doesn't like lamb? Doesn't matter if it is a different lamb or the same lamb every night.

Just about every night, there is a beef dish. What if your picky eater doesn't like beef? Doesn't matter if it is a different beef dish or the same beef dish every night.

Every night, there is a pasta dish. What if your picky eater doesn't like pasta? Doesn't matter if it is a different pasta or the same pasta every night.

There was, is, and still will be an alternatives menu each night. A fish, a chicken, a pasta, a beef choice.

Even picky eaters can find something that they want. Or, if they can't, it won't be any worse for them on Dynamic Dining than currently in the MDR.

I just don't get these odd assumptions and wild complaints.

If I want good food I should be able to get it at and when I want without making arrangements ninety days away.

You cannot get this today without taking the chance that you won't get it when you want it. Your only choices today is one of two times or flexible times where it is suggested to make arrangements. All I see DD doing in the above respect is to remove the one-of-two-times option.

Other than the bread, how does a waiter know what you like after a day or two. :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Special Requests like getting the Olive Tapanade served at lunch for us every night; special needs menu from one of the travelers, salad I liked one night ordered for me every day afterwards. . .

I would have to search to find the source, but the dress code as I remember it stated a jacket but not a tie (IMO, it will likely be relaxed to remove the jacket).
I've seen this too but can't remember which thread. I would not be surprised if Country Club Casual (jacket -- no tie) is allowed in the Grande if does not book well. The menu looked good but DH will not wear a tie -- he might wear a jack.

I see your point (menus may well be more limited), but not necessarily any worse logic than posted here. The "7 unique menus" (which, IMO, aren't that unique) are also based on cuisines that might also not be in the liking of some people, and there is little other option than specialty restaurant or the buffet. At least in DD, these people can avoid the cuisines that they dislike.

I've seen this too but can't remember which thread. I would not be surprised if Country Club Casual (jacket -- no tie) is allowed in the Grande if does not book well. The menu looked good but DH will not wear a tie -- he might wear a jack.

Indeed! And when I am on Oasis, I might try to forgo the jacket (but will wait to make that decision till after I have read more on how well DD works in actual use).