what do you recommend with 3 adults and 3 kids?

cruisyvibes

Hello!

So its my husband (he's a Disabled Veteran), me (the wife), my mom (over 55), 9 yr old, 6 yr old, and 8 monthly old baby.

We want to go on a 5 day to the Caribbean this December around Christmas, has to be from Galveston or Houston ports (we live in TX and just want to drive there rather than trying to fly with so many ppl). I know the price will be sky high but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast when you can only take off work certain days and kid's school district is strict with absences (we can only get away with having them miss school 1 or 2 days during this adventure).

I was going to book with carnival (triumph), which sets sail Dec 24th but I think they charge per person same fee regardless of the fact one is a baby and we will have to bring her food with us. Was quoted $4,162.68 for 6 travelers, deck 2, oceanview room and interior room.

If I have no choice in getting reduced price for kids then it is what it is and I'll go ahead and book, but I figured it would not hurt to ask other people's opinions... So what do you think?

Edited by cruisyvibes
added port departure

So expensive to cruise over Christmas, and two of your five cruise days are spent at sea.

If I want to compare value, I figure out the cost per day per person. For your cruise it's $4162.68/5 days which equals $832.54 per day. $832.54/6 people equals $138.76 per person per day.

Then add whatever Carnival's gratuities are to this total, and incidental expenses you may have. Book if it's worth it to you.

Edited by 6rugrats

There are only a couple of lines that charge less for a baby. None of them sail out of Texas ports.

You could give Royal Caribbean or Norwegian a call. They have some staterooms that sleep 6, but those cannot be booked online. The 3rd/4th/5th/6th passengers are generally cheaper than the 1st and 2nd which may make a single larger cabin (or suite) more cost effective than 2 cabins.

So expensive to cruise over Christmas, and two of your five cruise days are spent at sea.

If I want to compare value, I figure out the cost per day per person. For your cruise it's $4162.68/5 days which equals $832.54 per day. $832.54/6 people equals $138.76 per person per day.

Then add whatever Carnival's gratuities are to this total, and incidental expenses you may have. Book if it's worth it to you.

Yes I know, I cringe just thinking about it! But don't know what else to do. I have been in these forums for months now, but just now decided to post because I have thought about it for so long what to do... All these balls and chains (work, school)! I was finally going to take the plunge and book today, but when the customer service rep over the phone told me that all travelers are one price regardless of age, something told me to think it over some more... Hence why I am here now.

There are only a couple of lines that charge less for a baby. None of them sail out of Texas ports.

You could give Royal Caribbean or Norwegian a call. They have some staterooms that sleep 6, but those cannot be booked online. The 3rd/4th/5th/6th passengers are generally cheaper than the 1st and 2nd which may make a single larger cabin (or suite) more cost effective than 2 cabins.

I do know some cruise lines include airfare, hopefully Royal/Norwegian may. I will give them both a call.

I guess I should add, I don't mind flying, its the added expense of flying itself I am trying to avoid.

I do know some cruise lines include airfare, hopefully Royal/Norwegian may. I will give them both a call.

I guess I should add, I don't mind flying, its the added expense of flying itself I am trying to avoid.

RCI has some 4 and 5 day cruises on Explorer, Brilliance, and Liberty - all out of FL. I would lean towards Brilliance or Liberty as I think both have a nursery for the little one. Unfortunately, the bigger family cabins are probably booked - these go quickly, especially over the holidays - but it does not hurt to ask. You can use an online TA or the cruise line sites to do mock bookings to see what's available for cabins and cost, and then call the cruise line when you know exactly what you want.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Keep in mind that cruise lines you mention do not really include airfare....if air is added on it is the same as if you booked airfare on your own.

Find a travel agent that specializes in cruises and deal with that person. I never call the cruiseline reps as half the time they don't know what they are talking about.

That's a hefty price to pay for 5 days.

Edited by Marie51

Keep in mind that cruise lines you mention do not really include airfare....if air is added on it is the same as if you booked airfare on your own.

Find a travel agent that specializes in cruises and deal with that person. I never call the cruiseline reps as half the time they don't know what they are talking about.

That's a hefty price to pay for 5 days.

I did call Norwegian, gave up and haven't called Royal yet. I was getting the same feeling that the customer service reps indeed don't know what the heck they're talking about. So I do want to go ahead and get with a travel agent, where is the best place to find one? I came across an organization for TA's (ASTA.org), would that be a good place to start?

I did call Norwegian, gave up and haven't called Royal yet. I was getting the same feeling that the customer service reps indeed don't know what the heck they're talking about. So I do want to go ahead and get with a travel agent, where is the best place to find one? I came across an organization for TA's (ASTA.org), would that be a good place to start?

Sure. If you live in a big city there should be plenty of travel agencies listed in the phone book.

I guess I'm old-fashioned. I still use the phone book. My kids laugh at me.

At that age, missing school isn't that big of a deal! I would MUCH rather elementary kids miss, than in the later years! This can be an "educational" thing, too! That said, if those are the dates you want to sail, then it will be costly!

Few lines have reduced prices for kids....sometimes they will have "sales" but not during sought after times!

I'm not sure if New Orleans is an option and not sure when your kids' winter break starts, but Royal has Serenade out of New Orleans leaving Dec. 13 - an interior for 3 was $1423 including tax when I checked. Two interiors with tips for 6 would be just under $3400 for the week. If I'm figuring correctly (I could use a nap today :p)

I hope you find something that works for your family!!

Edited by lemonade-sails

From what I can find, Carnival Triumph is the only ship doing shorter-than-one-week cruises from Bayport/Galveston around Christmas this year. If you can consider a weeklong cruise, choices expand to include Carnival Magic, Emerald Princess, Norwegian Jewel, and RCCL Navigator of the Seas. The Magic is close in cost to the Triumph, but the others are all more expensive.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Hello!

So its my husband (he's a Disabled Veteran), me (the wife), my mom (over 55), 9 yr old, 6 yr old, and 8 monthly old baby.

We want to go on a 5 day to the Caribbean this December around Christmas, has to be from Galveston or Houston ports (we live in TX and just want to drive there rather than trying to fly with so many ppl). I know the price will be sky high but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast when you can only take off work certain days and kid's school district is strict with absences (we can only get away with having them miss school 1 or 2 days during this adventure).

I was going to book with carnival (triumph), which sets sail Dec 24th but I think they charge per person same fee regardless of the fact one is a baby and we will have to bring her food with us. Was quoted $4,162.68 for 6 travelers, deck 2, oceanview room and interior room.

If I have no choice in getting reduced price for kids then it is what it is and I'll go ahead and book, but I figured it would not hurt to ask other people's opinions... So what do you think?

Since this is National Cruise Vacation week, you could do a military discount booking for 3 people (inside cabin) for $1891.34 total (not including gratuities) and an outside cabin (pack and go rate-non refundable) for 3 people for $2031.34.. total for 2 cabins is $3922.68. Once onboard, go to the pursers desk and get extra key cards for the adults so you can switch cabins to wherever you want each person to sleep. This would be on the Triumph on Dec 24.

MSC used to have kids under 11 sail free.

They leave out of Florida, but if all 3 of your kiddos are free, that may be worth it.

NCL also sometimes does a kids free, but not over Christmas.

Side note: What will happen if you pull your kids from school, aside from maybe an eye roll from a teacher? What are they, kindergarten and 3rd grade? You can save thousands by cruising in early December or January.

Since this is National Cruise Vacation week, you could do a military discount booking for 3 people (inside cabin) for $1891.34 total (not including gratuities) and an outside cabin (pack and go rate-non refundable) for 3 people for $2031.34.. total for 2 cabins is $3922.68. Once onboard, go to the pursers desk and get extra key cards for the adults so you can switch cabins to wherever you want each person to sleep. This would be on the Triumph on Dec 24.

Hummm... didn't catch that you qualify for a discount. You may want to fumble around with numbers and discounts for a bit. Possibly 4 people in an inside and 2 in another may yield a larger discount if you use it for the cabin with 4?

Also is 2 interior rooms out of the question?

In the second room make sure that you put Grandma as 55 plus, might yield another discount if you can not use dh's military one for her room. Some websites do not allow you to specify this info... try inputting directly into the cruiseline, they will usually ask more questions.

Edited by williamsk
added info

• 4 weeks later...

Another option to try is three rooms, an adult and child per room. Sadly the last few cruises I have priced have been cheaper this way. They seem to be upping the first two cruise fares or charging more for the third and forth passengers. I feel like it is a bad game the cruise line is playing, but if so I will be happy to take up more space for less money. Make sure at least two are adjoining and redistribute kids once onboard. The third you can book as a guarantee if grandma does not mind a little distance. Lately on royal and holland it has been cheaper to book this way. Wanted to add I wound up paying less for two balcony rooms than for one ocean view. Doubled my square footage and number of bathrooms.

Edited by williamsk
Adding details

Another option to try is three rooms, an adult and child per room. Sadly the last few cruises I have priced have been cheaper this way. They seem to be upping the first two cruise fares or charging more for the third and forth passengers. I feel like it is a bad game the cruise line is playing, but if so I will be happy to take up more space for less money. Make sure at least two are adjoining and redistribute kids once onboard. The third you can book as a guarantee if grandma does not mind a little distance. Lately on royal and holland it has been cheaper to book this way. Wanted to add I wound up paying less for two balcony rooms than for one ocean view. Doubled my square footage and number of bathrooms.

This is what I was going to suggest. We saved several hundred by splitting into two rooms when we booked our thanksgiving cruise. Makes no sense to me, but I will take it! Also, we found a stellar last minute deal about a month before thanksgiving, no guarantees, but if you are willing to wait it out you might get lucky (of course, the prices could also go up or the ship could sell out...)

We are in TX too and I'm already dreading when our kiddos are school-aged and we have to comply with attendance policies. Back in the day my parents took us out frequently for family vacation and I'm pretty sure I usually learned more on vacation then in school in the early years. Good luck!