Shopping in Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk?

Boomermomma

Both Curacao and Aruba will have good shopping.

In Curacao, walk across the Floating Bridge and there are blocks and blocks of little shops and cafes.

In Aruba, simply get off the ship and walk one block up to the main street.

Caribbean trinkets = trinkets mass produced in china and shipped to islands. Yes, there are island made crafts and bargains to be had on watches and such. But most of the crap I see at every island, some being unpacked from boxes with made in china on them, are not local crafts/trinkets.

However, even a lot of the watches and perfumes can be found on sale at local department stores for less then the places in port. A cologne I wanted was a tad cheaper on the ship then my local store full price..... plus you save taxes. The duty free shop at the airport had it for about 5% cheaper then the ship. The perfume shop in Aruba had it for about 5% cheaper then the airport. However, I was able to pick it up from a department store 3 miles from my house on sale and even with taxes I paid cheaper then all the places listed above.

Same goes for watches, if you are not turned on by the romance of buying a watch on vacation, a wise shopper can do better then anything on the ship or in port with the luxury of having a warranty/guarantee that can be horned simply by jumping in my car and driving a few miles ....even months after purchase.

Last cruise (1/18/2014) I spent a whopping $10.00 on my cruise for one T-shirt.

Edited by Tutankhamen

It is my understanding that there is a Harley Davidson shop near the port in Aruba. Is the Hard Rock Cafe also nearby in Aruba?

H.D. shop is to the left on the main drag ,you can see the Black and Orange sign from the ship . Hard rock to the right .

• 2 weeks later...

We shopped more in Curacao than in Aruba. We've been to both twice. The first time we were in Aruba was a national holiday--and most of the stores were closed. The second time we went to the beach and did not do much shopping afterward. Willemstad in Curacao is very quaint, with the usual mix of shops--liquor, souvenir, jewelry, etc.

In Curacao, go over the bridge and bear left. Stroll down to the water(docks) where you will find small boats (called floating market) that come over from Venezula each day and sell their wares. Go early (AM) as they head back before it gets dark. We bought a lovely hand painted picture on canvas from the artist and had it framed in US. And, while I wouldn't recommend buying their fruit (wont be able to take on ship anyway), it is really pretty and interesting to look at. I saw produce I have never seen anywhere. Lots of great interest. Delft, cheeze and blue margarita's made with Curacao liquer (which you can also buy) are great!

In Curacao, go over the bridge and bear left. Stroll down to the water(docks) where you will find small boats (called floating market) that come over from Venezula each day and sell their wares. Go early (AM) as they head back before it gets dark. We bought a lovely hand painted picture on canvas from the artist and had it framed in US. And, while I wouldn't recommend buying their fruit (wont be able to take on ship anyway), it is really pretty and interesting to look at. I saw produce I have never seen anywhere. Lots of great interest. Delft, cheeze and blue margarita's made with Curacao liquer (which you can also buy) are great!

HAL ships, you can bring food onto the ship.

Most ports deny the ability to bring food off a ship.

Curacao is a very good shopping area, IMO. We like the things from Holland-such as the small Delft pitcher we have. Curacao also has linen shops.

We also like to buy small local water colors, as they are so light to carry.

Curacao and Aruba have lots of trinket shops- also lots of jewelry shops.

There are plenty of choices on both islands.

Grand Turk, not so much. The cruise area seems expensive. The town is small, but interesting- worth a $5pp trip in to walk around. There are some vendors there.