White bay cruise terminal

timbom

Was planning on walking to our cruise at the circular Quay however just got the announcement about the change to the White Bay cruise terminal.

Are there any hotels within walking distance of terminal or is there any transportation options other than a cab to get there??

Very strange that the Celebrity Cruise line is not helping us get to this remote terminal.

They aren't selling you transfers? Are you sure? That sounds very unusual.

If you look down the board, you will see many threads about this location. Are you using Celebrity hotels or flights? That might be the disconnect, if you aren't using their hotel or flights.

White Bay is frustrating in that it is very close to the city and looks like it should be easy to get to but unfortunately it is accessible only by a long winding narrow road that makes for a long walk from the nearest bus stop.

As you were planning to walk to Circular Quay then I assume you have booked a hotel in that vicinity. There is no other way to get to White Bay than by car. You could move to a hotel on the west side of Darling Harbour to be closer,but if you are having a couple of days in Sydney before the cruise then a hotel near Circular Quay would provide you with much better access to multiple transport options for sight-seeing.

cheers

Stu

Problem is we were to leave from the normal port but there is some sort of construction going on then. Kind of looks like they have not thought this out as they are bringing us back to circular Quay but checking us in at the new port.

Was planning on walking to our cruise at the circular Quay however just got the announcement about the change to the White Bay cruise terminal.

Are there any hotels within walking distance of terminal or is there any transportation options other than a cab to get there??

Very strange that the Celebrity Cruise line is not helping us get to this remote terminal.

This is from gbenjo on the Wharf extension thread he works at the OPT to a question about White Bay

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumpunchGirl View Post

Thanks so much for this info. We're on the 28th Oct. Rhapsody sailing. I have to say, this makes me a little anxious. We have not received an email from Royal yet. Hopefully we get one before we leave home on the 21st. I'm not sure how much access to the internet we will have once we land in Sydney. I'm sure it will all work out, but being so far from home in a city I'm not familiar with, navigating to a place I was not expecting to go to,(White Bay) is a little unsettling.

Quote; from gbenjo

Do not be too concerned about it. There will be shuttle buses provided to take any passengers who come to the OPT in error and will be taken to White Bay for check in I believe you may be able to drop your bags at the OPT as normal but if not it will just be a matter of them being transported on the bus to White Bay with youso at worst if you cannot get to White Bay yourself just go to the OPT as you would have

There is also the bonus of getting a free ferry ride from White Bay and sailing under the Harbour Bridge:

Problem is we were to leave from the normal port but there is some sort of construction going on then. Kind of looks like they have not thought this out as they are bringing us back to circular Quay but checking us in at the new port.

No, they've thought it out.

The ship is at the same place, but they aren't going to use the building so the work inside can continue without interruption. So they're redirecting you to the other check-in facility, then bringing you back to the ship. And they can't send the ship to the other facility as it is not able to reach there.

Inconvenient, but there is a rationale behind it.

Edited by The_Big_M

I got the announcement that Capt. Nige posed. I think it is really cheap of Celebrity not to supply transportation from the terminal we were scheduled to leave from to the cruise line.

If you look at the extra cost involved (if staying down town) it will cost the passengers an extra 40 to 50 k to get to the cruise line new departure area.

I got the announcement that Capt. Nige posed. I think it is really cheap of Celebrity not to supply transportation from the terminal we were scheduled to leave from to the cruise line.

If you look at the extra cost involved (if staying down town) it will cost the passengers an extra 40 to 50 k to get to the cruise line new departure area.

That is incorrect. "Complimentary" shuttle buses WILL be provided for any guest that arrives at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, so just stick to your original plans and walk to the terminal, you should be able to drop your luggage off there (or at worst it will be loaded onto the shuttle with you )and you will be taken to White Bay. This service will commence at 8am and will run every half hour. You will actually be able to check in a lot earlier than we usually do because we normally have to wait until all debarking passengers are off the ship and IT set up the computers before we can start check in.

An added bonus is you get to sail under the Harbour Bridge on your way to the ship so keep your camera out:)

Hope that's a typo of some form and not what you thought. The cost would be nothing like 40 to 50 thousand! :eek:

Although as Gbenjo said, a shuttle will be available the actual cost would be more like $40-50 by taxi.

Edited by The_Big_M

Hope that's a typo of some form and not what you thought. The cost would be nothing like 40 to 50 thousand! :eek:

Although as Gbenjo said, a shuttle will be available the actual cost would be more like $40-50 by taxi.

2000 passengers, assume 2 per taxi = 1000 trips @ $40-50

ie 40-50 thousand dollars spent by the passengers relocating

2000 passengers, assume 2 per taxi = 1000 trips @ $40-50

ie 40-50 thousand dollars spent by the passengers relocating

That's an odd figure to a passenger to quote as they're not responsible for all the passengers costs.

That said, the majority of passengers on these local Celebrity Australian cruises are Australians, so won't be staying at a hotel in the city. Most would be travelling direct.

40 to 50 K is not a typo as explained above. Even if the increased cost is only one dollar the increased cost should not be born by the passenger.

My contract with the cruise company states Overseas passenger terminal is where it is leaving from and not the terminal we are now being asked to show up at.

I am on a back to back with this cruise line and it is still not clear if the back portion of this cruise will not be also affected.

I truly believe it is the cruise line or the ports responsibility to make it so it does not cost the consumer anything extra. I am writing cruise line a note to that effect. I will keep all informed.

Edited by timbom

White Bay is frustrating in that it is very close to the city and looks like it should be easy to get to but unfortunately it is accessible only by a long winding narrow road that makes for a long walk from the nearest bus stop.

Too bad for those not being able to use the handy and so well located Overseas Passenger Terminal. We were fortunate earlier this year to have a day and a half on the Solstice in this spectacular setting of the OPT. So much very nearby and around this site. For larger ships such as the Solstice, they cannot cross under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Too tall! Makes things challenging. Good luck to all!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,894 views for this fun posting.

40 to 50 K is not a typo as explained above. Even if the increased cost is only one dollar the increased cost should not be born by the passenger.

My contract with the cruise company states Overseas passenger terminal is where it is leaving from and not the terminal we are now being asked to show up at....

I truly believe it is the cruise line or the ports responsibility to make it so it does not cost the consumer anything extra. I am writing cruise line a note to that effect. I will keep all informed.

Seriously? - Try suing them then - you won't get far.....have a read of the terms and conditions of your contract and you will find it has plenty of exclusions as to their liability

Understand the renovations at the OPT are major, as you will see, and there will be disruptions from time to time. No one wants them but they will happen so just work with the authorities and cruise lines on it

As for the "estimated costs" - ever head of buses? That would reduce the costs per person significantly.

Maybe the authorities should just delay the expected departure time to allow for slower processing and later departure from the OPT - and then you would have something else to complain about

Flying from Melbourne to Sydney arriving at 10:30 am should I just take a taxi to white bay from the airport I've never been to Sydney cruise terminals will this give me enough time??

Seriously, if you're unfamiliar with our "White Elephant" Bay the best way is by Taxi and there's plenty of them at the Airport. You can catch a bus from Sydney Central train station but that leaves you with a pretty fair walk to the terminal from Victoria Road.

Steve.

My contract with the cruise company states Overseas passenger terminal is where it is leaving from and not the terminal we are now being asked to show up at.

I am on a back to back with this cruise line and it is still not clear if the back portion of this cruise will not be also affected.

I think it has been made clear that it need not cost you a red cent.

For most getting to White Bay will be the same cost as getting to OPT, for some less.

It has also been said that they will provide a shuttle service to WB for anyone who turns up at OPT.

G'day Terry

Too bad for those not being able to use the handy and so well located Overseas Passenger Terminal. We were fortunate earlier this year to have a day and a half on the Solstice in this spectacular setting of the OPT. So much very nearby and around this site. For larger ships such as the Solstice, they cannot cross under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Too tall! Makes things challenging. Good luck to all!!

Funny you say that a friend is on one of the cruises and was saying "but I'm worried about the ship fitting under the bridge". The info they had been given didn't spell out that they would stll board at OPT and it was only processing at White Bay.

She also thought at first that it was the old Hickson Road terminal

Edited by GUT2407

What an interesting (?) response! I can't see how it's going to cost you anything except perhaps a little inconvenience but hey, where there's lemons, make lemonade!! :)

Here's the latest from the cruise company:

UPGRADE WORKS AT THE OVERSEAS PASSENGER TERMINAL SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

October – November 2014

The following changes apply to the cruises listed below:

- Rhapsody of the Seas 7 night Pacific Island Getaway departing 21 October 2014;

- Celebrity Solstice 3 night Sampler cruise departing 23 October 2014;

- Celebrity Century 12 night South Pacific & Fiji cruise departing 30 October 2014;

Sydney Ports are currently upgrading the cruise terminal facilities at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney, Australia. Due to renovation works the cruises listed above will experience changed conditions at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Please note, during the upgrade works the Circular Quay West road that provides private vehicle access will be limited. Please ensure you arrange an alternative location for any private pick up or drop off transfers.

EMBARKATION

Due to the changed conditions, it is very important that all guests adhere to their allocated check-in times to ensure guests can be processed as quickly as possible. Please check your travel documents for your allocated check-in time.

We strongly advise that all passengers check-in online, which can be completed from now until 4 days prior to your departure.

Royal Caribbean International check in: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/onlinecheckin Celebrity Cruises check-in:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/onlineDocumentation/home.do?

DISEMBARKATION

Disembarkation will take place at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. However, due to reduced luggage facilities during the upgrade works, in addition to our regular luggage collection service we will also be offering a fast and efficient self-assist disembarkation process, where guests can walk off the ship with their luggage. We highly recommend this option for guests wanting a quick disembarkation alternative and avoiding any possible delays.

AIRPORT TRANSFERS

For guests with connecting flights following their cruise, we will be operating complimentary coaches from the Overseas Passenger Terminal to the Sydney International and Domestic Airports. If you have already booked your transfer we will automatically refund this amount to you (via the original payment method used).

During check-in please ensure you advise us of your departure flight times so we can do all possible to prioritise guests accordingly.

While we will endeavour to make the embarkation and disembarkation process as smooth as possible, we appreciate your patience and understanding during this time as the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.

We recommend guests review our Frequently Asked Questions for any queries or concerns. For further information, on the Overseas Passenger Terminal upgrade, visit sydneyports.com.au

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

What part of " the cruise line will be providing COMPLIMENTARY transport for any passenger arriving at the OPT and not White Bay do you not understand? Just go to the OPT as if you were checking in there and they will take you FREE OF CHARGE to White Bay. It to will cost the Sydney Ports Money to provide the coaches it will not cost you or anybody else a cent.

Also I don't think writing your complaint letter will get you an onboard credit........ but you can try.

Edited by gbenjo

What part of " the cruise line will be providing COMPLIMENTARY transport for any passenger arriving at the OPT and not White Bay do you not understand? Just go to the OPT as if you were checking in there and they will take you FREE OF CHARGE to White Bay. It to will cost the Sydney Ports Money to provide the coaches it will not cost you or anybody else a cent.

Also I don't think writing your complaint letter will get you an onboard credit........ but you can try.

I hadn't thought that the original poster may be after some OBC! You're right onto them aren't you?

It seems that our cruise departure tomorrow is the last one NOT affected by the change. I'll say "hello" if you're still around when we arrive - NOT taking my wheelie-walker, just a folding cane this time! :)

Edited by gaechann

I hadn't thought that the original poster may be after some OBC! You're right onto them aren't you?

It seems that our cruise departure tomorrow is the last one NOT affected by the change. I'll say "hello" if you're still around when we arrive - NOT taking my wheelie-walker, just a folding cane this time! :)

That's the way of the world unfortunately (well parts of it anyway):rolleyes:

There are a couple of cruises in the middle somewhere where we are forced to us the OPT because there is another ship at White Bay

I will keep an eye out for you tomorrow......good to see the knee improving

Doesn't seem that complicated does it, but some people just want to ignore what doesn't suit their argument.

I'd also reiterate that for a lot of people it is probably less travel.