Help on air for cruise next June departs Rome and ends up in Athens

GweninTX

I have exhausted everything I know and need some of your expert help! I would like to use either BA miles (Avios - can be Iberia or BA) - I Have 111K and also use AA miles - I have 65K. I also have some Chase Sapphire points too. The fact that these are one way tickets has proven extremely different. I need to be in Rome by June 12 (leaves 6/13/15) - we want to stay over in Athens for 7-10 days, so return anytime after 6/27. We live near DFW, but would even consider a cheapo SW ticket to get us to a better departure city. There are some great US Airways flights that leave Athens and go to Philadlephia, but they are not being released, I check every day. I can get to Rome on Iberia by flying to Boston on SW and then changing over to Iberia. HELP - it should not be this hard to use airline miles!

How many of you are travelling? You mention "we"....the miles you have should be enough to book you one ways in any class of travel with each FFP so lots of additional options but if there's more than one of you then it makes things a lot harder!

Avios are great if you're looking at First or Business class travel, but if you're looking at economy or premium economy then you're tied to limited availability and the Avios won't actually save you very much cash since with BA you still have to pay the taxes, fuel surcharges etc.

If you're looking at economy class then I'd just book for cash and save the miles for a different trip. Other option is to use the Avios for one person if you can't find two seats and then pay cash for the other one.

I am so sorry - there are 2 of us. I prefer booking in economy with Avios, but I am finding everything thru London and the taxes are enormous. How can you do a multi city option when you need to end up back in Dallas? We will be flying to Rome to depart our cruise and then flying from Athens back to DFW after cruise is over. If I book for cash, one way tickets are soooo expensive. Am I missing something here?

Edited by GweninTX
spell

I am so sorry - there are 2 of us. I prefer booking in economy with Avios, but I am finding everything thru London and the taxes are enormous. How can you do a multi city option when you need to end up back in Dallas? We will be flying to Rome to depart our cruise and then flying from Athens back to DFW after cruise is over. If I book for cash, one way tickets are soooo expensive. Am I missing something here?

"Multi-City" or "Multiple Destinations" is a way that most airline websites allow you to book essentially two one-way flights and bundle it as a roundtrip. So, for example, on BA.com you click on "Multi-City/Stopovers", and it brings you to a new page where you can enter DFW-Rome on XXX Date, and ATH-DFW on XXX Date. It would price it like a roundtrip rather than two one-way tickets, even though you are not leaving from the same city you are arriving in to. I do this regularly with both business and personal trips since I rarely limit myself to one city during my travels, and it's a wonderful tool.

"Multi-City" or "Multiple Destinations" is a way that most airline websites allow you to book essentially two one-way flights and bundle it as a roundtrip. So, for example, on BA.com you click on "Multi-City/Stopovers", and it brings you to a new page where you can enter DFW-Rome on XXX Date, and ATH-DFW on XXX Date. It would price it like a roundtrip rather than two one-way tickets, even though you are not leaving from the same city you are arriving in to. I do this regularly with both business and personal trips since I rarely limit myself to one city during my travels, and it's a wonderful tool.

This. I'm flying an open jaw this weekend because I'm traveling between two cities once I land.

I prefer booking in economy with Avios, but I am finding everything thru London and the taxes are enormous.

Honestly, I wouldn't book economy longhaul with Avios, you're tying yourself to limited availability and spending a load of "currency" to save just a few hundred dollars. They're far better used in other means.

As others have said you'll qualify for an open-jaw/multi city itinerary. Enjoy the flexibility and save your Avios for another time.

All AA mileage awards are now one-way, so no need to look for open-jaw routings if you're using miles. (Avios also offer one way at half the price.)

The "taxes" on the Avios/BA routes are not just taxes, they're fuel surcharges levied by BA on redemption tickets - basically profit. Try to use your AA miles for one direction, then transfer your Chase points to United (not BA) for a one-way redemption for the other direction. Avoid BA-operated flights using AA miles; AA passes through the fuel fines.

Avios are best used for US domestic flights on AA, where the redemption requirements are lower for most trips, and the fuel surcharges aren't added. They're also okay on short-haul within Europe; the fuel surcharges are still there, but much less than for longhaul/transatlantic.

Regardless, you're awfully early to be looking for award seats for June 2015. Airlines don't release many seats at the beginning of the booking window; they wait until they can see how the flights are selling (for money) before the computers tell them it's okay to release seats into award inventory. They're released throughout the 11-12 month booking window, often many appear just a few days/weeks before the flight.

I kn ow it's tough for chronic early-birders like cruise patrons to wait, but that's the best way to deal with award seats.

When do you see the airlines start to release seat for mile redemption? I have always tried to book 330 days in advance. Thanks for all your help.

1-330 days in advance. In other words, there is no set time frame. On some flights they NEVER release mileage seats.

When do you see the airlines start to release seat for mile redemption? I have always tried to book 330 days in advance. Thanks for all your help.
They release seats when their very complex and top secret "revenue management" computer programs predict that some seats will remain unsold by flight time. This metric changes daily, even hourly, and is based on countless measurements - price, demand, competition, history, fuel prices... there's no way us poor schnooks can second-guess it. You'd need to be a Hogwarts graduate, and even then your spells might not work.

But here's the deal - you have plenty of time. Prices (as in money) for flights change over time too. You might think that buying a ticket far in advance would get you the best price, but in reality that's often not the case. Airlines don't have crystal balls and so things like the price of fuel can shoot up over the 11-12 months the booking window is open. They don't know when/if that might be at the outset, so they often "hedge" by setting initial fares high enough to cover their butts should their own costs go up. Later, when the short-term future is a bit more foreseeable, the prices can come down - sometimes dramatically, sometimes not so much.

You have PLENTY of time to look for award seats without any great risk of the cash price for seats shooting up in the meantime. For travel in June 2015 I personally wouldn't even start looking until September/October this year, probably later.

And also remember that your airline miles can be used with partner airlines that might not even be shown on the on-line award redemption screens, such as Iberia using AA miles. You have time to do some homework, too.

Thanks Gardyloo - any other matches that I might use for my Avios or AA miles? I also wonder when US Airways will combine with AA to make it easier?

They aren't going to begin combining US and AA miles together until 2015--and if the US/AW merger was any indication, don't expect a seamless transition.

Have you considered using the Avios to cover the cost of the hotels pre-and post-cruise? Just shuffle the cash around and use it for the air instead of the hotel.

Unfortunately with the Avios, BA and Iberia will be your only reasonable options.

As someone else pointed out earlier, you're going to pay the huge fuel surcharge/taxes using BA. I recently booked two r/t tickets to London through US on BA, and got hit with almost $800 in charges on each. although that was still less expensive than paying out of pocket for the tickets by about 50%.

When we flew PHL>FCO ATH>PHL a couple of years ago, I booked about three months out and got the best price on US (used upgrade certificates but paid cash for economy seats to start.) Both flights were direct and non-stop.

When do you see the airlines start to release seat for mile redemption? I have always tried to book 330 days in advance.
1-330 days in advance. In other words, there is no set time frame.
This can vary by airline. BA takes bookings for 355 days at once, and sometimes award seats are released at the very beginning of that window. So if you only start looking at 330 days out, those award seats may have been snapped up in the intervening 25 days.

You are trying to go to/from two major tourist areas in the middle of the summer tourist season. Of course the price is going to be high and award seats hard to find. Try the same routing in Feb for example and you will prob find both cheaper flights and award space. No airline is going to release a lot of seats during high demand times when they know folks will pay a premium for those tickets....and after all, they (the airlines), are in business to MAKE money.

and after all, they (the airlines), are in business to MAKE money.

No no, you're quite wrong. Trust me, they're around for our convenience. They should lose oodles so that I can fly across country for $99, or to Europe for $200.

You are trying to go to/from two major tourist areas in the middle of the summer tourist season. Of course the price is going to be high and award seats hard to find. Try the same routing in Feb for example and you will prob find both cheaper flights and award space. No airline is going to release a lot of seats during high demand times when they know folks will pay a premium for those tickets....and after all, they (the airlines), are in business to MAKE money.

If you are trying to get air for a cruise you cannot choose the dates or be flexible.