Grand Turk

legalgirl

We are going there in a couple of weeks so I have done some research. It is primarily a beach island. There is a large poo right on the beach with an upbeat party type atmosphere. It is called Maragritaville. There is no charge to use the pool, loungers and such. I have seen conflicting rrports about the snorkeling - some say terific, others say not that great. Apparently there is not much to see/do away from the beach. There is an area regularly visited by stingrays. You can get san excursion there. The water is pretty shallow, you canstand up there and it is pretty close to the shore. Check on the Grand Turk board for more info.

We were just there in April. You can walk right onto the beach-no taxi or tour needed. The water is amazing. Chairs are provided, but try to get there early to get one closest to the water. You can rent snorkeling equipment if you don't have it, or beach umbrellas and other beach stuff. We snorkeled close to the beach area (didn't take a boat out- just swam out, and saw plenty of marine life and got some great underwater pics). There's also a huge Margaritaville with it's own pools and parties going on all day as well as a Ron Jon's & other shopping. Grand Turk is just a great place to relax and enjoy the beach. It's very laid back. You can also pay to sit on this huge blow up seat and get pulled around by a jet ski- which looked like a ton of fun while we were snorkeling. There are plenty of other water activities too. We ate at Margaritaville, however if you don't wanna blow money on food with the ship being so close it's very easy to walk back to the boat for lunch and then come back to the beach. SUGGESTION: take water shoes. The area closest to the beach is very rocky and the rocks are coarse and hard on your feet. I bought a pair of water shoes at Ron Jon and they were well worth it.

If you'd like a fun time go to Jacks Shack ( You can google it or go to the Ports of Call forum and then to Caribbean and then to Private Islands you'll see Grand Turk. Look for discussions on things to do and of course Jacks Shack

A better place to look would be the Grand Turk board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=385

Grand Turk IS NOT a private island. The residents would be rather upset to be considered some company's employees!

Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is off the shore in Grand Turk.

Basically, there's a beach right there so you don't have to go anyplace else unless you want to. The pool at Margaritaville is huge. You can sit close to the DJ or there's plenty of space elsewhere around the pool.

How many of you who recommend Jack's Shack have actually been there?

Jack and his wife & daughter are not so very nice and friendly. :( Their dog is. :)

LuLu

We have been there several times.

The only tour we have done on Grand Turk is the island tour which takes you to the salt flats, down town to a tiny museum, out to the lighthouse and past homes.

When you get off the ship you will walk right into an area that was built by Carnival that has several shops, Margaritaville, a flow rider, beach, pool and cabanas.

2013_NA_2_cruise_016.JPG

2013_NA_2_cruise_017.JPG

0395.JPG

0385.JPG

Besides Margaritaville, another place to eat is Jack's Shack right next to the beach area.

0356.JPG

We have been to Grand Turk many, many times. Most people miss the exact copy of our 1st (or was it 2nd?) space capsule. When you get out of the building at the end of the pier, turn right and walk past the shops. At just about the end of the shops is the capsule. You will not believe how small it is and it went into space with Alan Shepard (or was it john Glenn?). Back then they came back into the ocean. This capsule landed right by Grand Turk. There is a model of a dressed astronaut and description of the trip. Don't miss it! Take your camera for a picture.

The pool is freeform and there is a bridge going over it at one point. There is a swim up bar too.

A shop I like sells only pearl Jewelry. Think name is Indigo.

Opposite the left side of the pool is the Flow Rider. People surf on land doing this. This is something to watch if you don't do it. We did it on the Freedom of the Seas (it was free there) and had a ball.

The beach is big and there are lots of trees for shade.

If you walk out of the port you will find Nathan Smith. He rents golf carts and jeeps. Grand Turk is only 7 miles long. He is not allowed to be in the port so is just outside it. He doesn't care how long you rent the cart or jeep just get it back before the ship leaves. He can be reached at NathanandLinda@TClway.tc. You need to make a reservation if you want to rent from him. Cell numbers are 649-231-4856, or 649-231-1383 or phone, 649-946-1896.

Great photos, KK.

That shows a true representation of the Carnival created port area. It's a relaxing day of sun and fun and all of it visible from the ship. It is a level walk down a long pier and you are there! :)

My late DH and I didn't go to Jack's Shack. As many times as we were at Grand Turk, we mostly just enjoyed the facilities there.

Basically, there's a beach right there so you don't have to go anyplace else unless you want to. The pool at Margaritaville is huge. You can sit close to the DJ or there's plenty of space elsewhere around the pool.

Jack and his wife & daughter are not so very nice and friendly. :( Their dog is. :)

LuLu

Thank-you. I thought that I was imagining this too about the friendliness of the owner's. I had read many posts on this must-not-miss-beach bar ???? We ended up here after giving up on trying to find beach space. It is just a beach bar that serves some food. That's it !! really. IMHO, there is no draw to this place. They do advertise a free shot of rum but it is in a thimble-sized plastic cup and the owners almost seem annoyed when we showed them our free-shot coupon. I might add that we spent money on overpriced food , Soda pop and a drink or two so it wasn't like we just walked up to get " the free shot". Some folks rave about this place but if one is used to good beach bars than you will surely be disappointed, IMO anyway. I just can't see visiting this beautiful island just to sit in a subpar, overpriced beach bar with no atmosphere, no entertainment and surely staff.

I would like to add that we were in Gran Turk with another ship and the beach, Margaritaville etc... was very, very crowded. No beach chairs, not even enough room to walk down the beach without stepping over someone. It was gosh-awful crowded.....so it may pay to book and excursion or try to be one of the first off of the ship.

If you are into snorkelling or diving then a must would be to take the Carnival Excursion to The Wall. Grand Turk is one of the absolute best diving sites in all of the Caribbean. A short distance off shore there is a 7,000 ft dropoff. The excursion will take you to The Wall for snorkelling over the dropoff. It is an amazing experience to snorkel over the edge of the wall. This excursion then takes you to a second spot for more shallow snorkelling where they will coax out a few nurf sharks and feed them for your picture taking. This excursion is really worth the money. It leaves and drops you off right at the end of the docking pier.

After the Snorkelling. I would walk up to Jack's Shack for a free drink (coupon on his web site). He is about a 15 minute walk up the beach. Then walk back and do a beach/bar crawl back to Margaritaville. You will pass three other bars between Jack's Shack and Margaritaville.

When we were there, we took a $5 pp taxi to town to walk around, take photos, and go to the museum. It was interesting to see an undeveloped island town. Folks were friendly. Took another taxi back to the pier and saw a good portion of the island- along with the wild horses.

Spent the afternoon at Margaritaville. Good day.

We've visited three times and like Jack and Janet a lot. They've always been welcoming when we've been there, and we definitely prefer Jack's Shack to the overcrowded beach next to the pier. The first time we visited we stayed by the pier. People kept trying to take our beach chairs whenever one of us got up and, as another person posted, the ocean bottom by the pier is very rocky. It just wasn't enjoyable for us. The beach isn't crowded and the water is much nicer down by Jack's.

Thank-you. I thought that I was imagining this too about the friendliness of the owner's. I had read many posts on this must-not-miss-beach bar ???? We ended up here after giving up on trying to find beach space. It is just a beach bar that serves some food. That's it !! really. IMHO, there is no draw to this place. They do advertise a free shot of rum but it is in a thimble-sized plastic cup and the owners almost seem annoyed when we showed them our free-shot coupon. I might add that we spent money on overpriced food , Soda pop and a drink or two so it wasn't like we just walked up to get " the free shot". Some folks rave about this place but if one is used to good beach bars than you will surely be disappointed, IMO anyway. I just can't see visiting this beautiful island just to sit in a subpar, overpriced beach bar with no atmosphere, no entertainment and surely staff.

Cari, my thoughts exactly! So not worth the effort go to Jack's Shack and be treated rudely. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Has anyone who has been there recently say if they are greeted early morning when the ship arrives with the screamingly loud speaker advertising come on over we'll take good care of you messages? Last time we were there, that guy wouldn't quit. His screaming went on for at least 45 minutes. I got to the point I wouldn't have bought anything from him if I died of thirst.... :D

Is he still there and still shouting?

Has anyone who has been there recently say if they are greeted early morning when the ship arrives with the screamingly loud speaker advertising come on over we'll take good care of you messages? Last time we were there, that guy wouldn't quit. His screaming went on for at least 45 minutes. I got to the point I wouldn't have bought anything from him if I died of thirst.... :D

Is he still there and still shouting?

We got there early -- no screaming advertising anything.

I would like to add that we were in Gran Turk with another ship and the beach, Margaritaville etc... was very, very crowded. No beach chairs, not even enough room to walk down the beach without stepping over someone. It was gosh-awful crowded.....so it may pay to book and excursion or try to be one of the first off of the ship.

We have also been there when another ship was in.

Awful!! Especially when the other ship holds 3000 passengers to our 2000.

We stayed on our ship that day.

We've been to Grand Turk at least six times on Princess ships (prox 3,000 pax)and have always been lucky enough to have been the only ship in port so things really weren't crowded. It certainly would have been with another 2,000. :rolleyes:

LuLu

If you walk out of the port you will find Nathan Smith. He rents golf carts and jeeps. Grand Turk is only 7 miles long. He is not allowed to be in the port so is just outside it. He doesn't care how long you rent the cart or jeep just get it back before the ship leaves. He can be reached at NathanandLinda@TClway.tc. You need to make a reservation if you want to rent from him. Cell numbers are 649-231-4856, or 649-231-1383 or phone, 649-946-1896.

^^^We did this, and highly recommend it! Nathan and his staff were a pleasure to do business with, and the golf carts were a fun way to see the island.

Thank you to all who responded. Some wonderful suggestions. Looking forward to our trip. For anyone who would like to not cruise but fly I highly recommend Beaches in Turks & Caicos. Been there 4 times and it is very nice. Like the all inclusives and Sandals/Beaches is good. Been to many Sandals/Beaches and have not been disappointed.