Demographics of a 3 or 4 Day Nieuw Amsterdam Bahamas Cruise

dctravel

In looking for a cruise for my wife's 40th Birthday, we noticed that the Nieuw Amsterdam is doing a 4-day and 3-day Bahamas cruises in December 2017. Prices are attractive, and the chance that it won't be a party boat like Carnival or Royal Caribbean might be nice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the average age might be on a 3 or 4 night cruise to the Bahamas? How early do entertainment venues shut down? We are not partiers, but would be sad if it was earlier than 10 pm, for example.

Thanks in advance for your help!

dctravel

• 2 months later...
I came across this thread and was also wondering about the short cruises in December. I believe one is right before drydock, and the others immediately after drydock. I'm debating how that might impact my decision on these cruises.

We chose to go in a different direction because this cruise is the first segment of a much longer cruise and I read somewhere that the number of passengers on the long cruise is significant.

I really would like to try HAL, but it will have to be for a different trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We booked two cabins on the Four-Day with the $1 deposit. The intention is to give two other family members an introduction to cruising. That way they aren't on a Seven-Day and not enjoying it.

It might be not the norm.

And, based on comments I received and saw when wanting to take a 4-day San Diego-Vancouver cruise: some of those guest on the longer cruise sometimes consider the short cruisers to be interlopers on their cruise and diminish the atmosphere...

And, based on comments I received and saw when wanting to take a 4-day San Diego-Vancouver cruise: some of those guest on the longer cruise sometimes consider the short cruisers to be interlopers on their cruise and diminish the atmosphere...

Without getting into the gory details, we have done that San Diego to Vancouver segment twice as part of longer cruises and have witnessed things that we have not even come close to ever seeing on any of our other 15 HAL cruises. :eek:

Without getting into the gory details, we have done that San Diego to Vancouver segment twice as part of longer cruises and have witnessed things that we have not even come close to ever seeing on any of our other 15 HAL cruises. :eek:

I would really like to know to what you refer, since I have signed up for the first 3 days of the longer cruise. I'm only looking for a few days on the water with some friends, and wonder how those other cruisers on the longer portion would affect me.

Edited by mamaofami
ALso, when does this ship go into drydock?

I would really like to know to what you refer, since I have signed up for the first 3 days of the longer cruise. I'm only looking for a few days on the water with some friends, and wonder how those other cruisers on the longer portion would affect me.

Really do not want to get into specifics here other than to say it is not a regular cruise.

Lots of large groups (12 to 20 people) travelling together for a "party" occupying space at the pools, in the Lido, and being generally very loud in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill. Lots of running around between rooms in the hallways.

Suffice it to say that HAL staff started removing away anything that was not permanently attached in our suite a day before getting to San Diego (Bose wireless speaker, mini-bar supplies, etc) before heading up to Vancouver and Seattle.

Sounds like fun, NOT. But, since I'm cruise deprived and don't want to go to the Caribbean then, I'll hope for the best. I have an aft stateroom and reservations for dinner already made. Hopefully, it will turn out to be a better experience than you had. Since I have friends coming who have never been on HAL, I certainly hope so.