Reflection 10 Day Greece and Italy

drew69

Just back from the May 19 cruise. All was fantastic. Staff was outstanding, food great in main dining room and alternate restaurants. Only did 1 ship excursion - rest on our own - but that went well too.

No problems getting deck chairs, seats in Oceanview, etc. Noticed none of the supposed declines in service or product from previous cruises that so many seem to harp about.

Heard some ranting around the ship with constant complaints but seemed to always be the same few people complaining each time.

Us - we had a excellent trip!

That is great to hear, were on the same Itinerary on Reflection 9th June, just over a week to go.

How did you find being tendered in Santorini, any tips for any of the islands. We're mainly doing private tours, except on Mykonos & Rhodes, where we'll do our own sightseeing.

At the ports did you disembark from the ship from Deck 2?

Any tips at all would be welcome!

Mary

Just off the same cruise and for me, probably one of the best cruises I ever had in 13 years.

I'm in the middle of my review which I'll post with photos over the next few days.

Mostly disembarked from deck 2 from memory.

Tendering in Santorini was ok as we didn't leave the ship until 11:30. However, my thoughts that this would reduce the wait for the cable car was totally misguided. It was the worst wait we've ever had on Santorini. As for catching the cable car back down at 1:30 pm, when we saw people waiting in line in the middle of the town, we walked back down.

As for Mykonos, we were lucky to dock not tender (rumour has it that the captain has some sway in Mykonos) so walked off the ship. We caught the 'Sea bus' for €2 for the trip into town and strolled back along the sea front to catch the free shuttle on return, very easy. It was a busy day in Mykonos with at least another 2 ships in port.

Rhodes is one of the easiest ports to do your own thing. My suggestion is to leave the ship, walk along the harbour front, cross the road at the first set of traffic lights and enter the old town through the arch opposite.

We did this cruise last August. It was fantastic in every way. Absolutely loved it, and my wife and I are seasoned cruisers. We were also very fortunate to stay in the Royal Suite.

Santorini? Make sure to get off the ship ASAP and then spend 1/3 of your time in Oia and 2/3 in Fira. The cable car will be loaded with people, so walk down the path (20-25 minutes). Part of the charm.

Mykonos? Trust me. Please. Hire a driver to take you to Psarou beach and definitely (!) eat lunch at Nammos. On the way back, ask to be dropped off in the "city" and stroll the shops. You can then take the complimentary shuttle back to the ship.

We're anxiously awaiting our three nights in Santorini in late July followed by the 7/31/17 Western Mediterranean sailing on Reflection.

Thanks for posting this. We are very experienced Princess cruisers taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Reflection, Eastern Med in September. I'm glad to hear that we can have a good time on the Reflection - I'm seeing a lot of complaints in this forum. (Actually, same stuff I see on the Princess forum).

That is great to hear, were on the same Itinerary on Reflection 9th June, just over a week to go.

How did you find being tendered in Santorini, any tips for any of the islands. We're mainly doing private tours, except on Mykonos & Rhodes, where we'll do our own sightseeing.

At the ports did you disembark from the ship from Deck 2?

Any tips at all would be welcome!

Mary

Santorini was the only port where we did an excursion so tendered to the bus. Then took cable card down from Fira - line was about 30 minutes. There were 4 ships in port so later in the day the line was over 2 hours.

Gangway was on 2 for every port but Naples where it is on 4.

Messina- we got off and toured city on our own

Malta - Hired a taxi for 3 hours for 80EUR. Will take you wherever you want. We went to Mdina, Roman Villa, and market in fishing village, then got dropped in Valetta.

Mykonos - Took a bus to/from Elia Beach then wandered in town. We docked and there was a free shuttle in/from town or the SeaBus for 2 EUR each way.

Rhodes - Walked into town ourselves as it is right there.

Athens- Took local bus to Metro station and Metro into Athens. Did Acropolis, other sites, and Plaka then took Metro/Bus back. Bus drops you 1 block from port entrance.

Naples - Walked to Circumvessuvia and went to Herculaeum and Sorrento.

Thanks for posting this. We are very experienced Princess cruisers taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Reflection, Eastern Med in September. I'm glad to hear that we can have a good time on the Reflection - I'm seeing a lot of complaints in this forum. (Actually, same stuff I see on the Princess forum).

We enjoy Princess very much also. I would say this particular Celebrity cruise was better than last 2

Princess cruises in terms of food and service. Also, love the ambiance on this ship

Just back from the May 19 cruise. All was fantastic. Staff was outstanding, food great in main dining room and alternate restaurants. Only did 1 ship excursion - rest on our own - but that went well too.

No problems getting deck chairs, seats in Oceanview, etc. Noticed none of the supposed declines in service or product from previous cruises that so many seem to harp about.

Heard some ranting around the ship with constant complaints but seemed to always be the same few people complaining each time.

Us - we had a excellent trip!

So glad to hear this. Reading this board over the past year you'd think Celebrity was running garbage scows then I get onboard and have a fantastic time. Yes, there are minor issues here and there and things that could be improved but I still think they do a great job. Will be doing this same cruise on Reflection next spring. Can't wait!

Thanks for those answers, very interesting. Good to hear you all had a great Cruise.

As a matter of interest, when was the "connections party" held.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

1st sea day which for us was day 3 in Cellar Masters at 10:15 am. Well attended by crew, and I have to admit my favourite Julie Sherrington (a fellow Brit) head of guest relations who introduced everyone from the officers attending.

Thank you for posting. I have been watching for reviews of this itinerary as there are 10 of use on the June 9th sailing. Are the formal nights the two sea days? I'm trying to work specialty restaurants around the formal nights. It was easy for 2 when we were on the Reflection in December but 10 this time takes more legwork. I heard Maarten was back as Cruise Director. Is that true?

Thank you for posting. I have been watching for reviews of this itinerary as there are 10 of use on the June 9th sailing. Are the formal nights the two sea days? I'm trying to work specialty restaurants around the formal nights. It was easy for 2 when we were on the Reflection in December but 10 this time takes more legwork. I heard Maarten was back as Cruise Director. Is that true?
Yes, Evening Chic (as formal night is now called) was on the 2 sea days and Maarten is back as CD and quite good compared to others we've experienced over the years. Always around and about and approachable.

Here's the link to my growing review (a bit more added each day!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2506092

1st sea day which for us was day 3 in Cellar Masters at 10:15 am. Well attended by crew, and I have to admit my favourite Julie Sherrington (a fellow Brit) head of guest relations who introduced everyone from the officers attending.

Pete,

Julie is one of our favourites too. We remember her from her old Royal days and were shocked a few years ago to see her on Infinity - had a good chat about her move over to X. We have our fingers firmly crossed that she'll still be on Reflection when we board in July (know it's around her change date though :loudcry:).

Yes, Evening Chic (as formal night is now called) was on the 2 sea days and Maarten is back as CD and quite good compared to others we've experienced over the years. Always around and about and approachable.

Here's the link to my growing review (a bit more added each day!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2506092

Thanks for the info. I will read as you post!

Just back from the May 19 cruise. All was fantastic. Staff was outstanding, food great in main dining room and alternate restaurants. !

We will be on Reflection starting June 19th, so thanks for posting. :)