Will we enjoy Hal as we're in our 30s

NOSaints1

Nieuw Statendam is this a ship for a younger crowd or an older crowd? We've only cruised on carnival so does that matter with Hal cause there owned by carnival corp? How is the interior staterooms? Onboard activities would they be geared to more younger or older? If you've cruised Hal and are in your 30s I would love to hear from you about your experiences and anything you can add

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nieuw Statendam is this a ship for a younger crowd or an older crowd? We've only cruised on carnival so does that matter with Hal cause there owned by carnival corp? How is the interior staterooms? Onboard activities would they be geared to more younger or older? If you've cruised Hal and are in your 30s I would love to hear from you about your experiences and anything you can add

The ship is geared to attract both IMO.

Since the ship isn't built yet, we can't tell you a lot about the interior staterooms, but I would hazard a guess that if you look at the Koningsdam which will be it's brothership (can't call it a sistership since it is named for a King ;) ), they should be similar.

I started cruising on HAL when I was in my 30's and enjoyed every minute of it. Tried other cruise lines but always came back to HAL.

Of course, we are "older" now so I can't comment to your 30 something question.

My experience with "older" people on HAL - a number of them are young at heart, seasoned travellers and some will surprise you as they not only keep up but out do you on tours ;). And their conversation is always interesting :)

You are asking about a ship that has not been built yet?!

I can pretty much guarantee you won't get a Booze Cruise, witness belly flop contests or see a rock climbing wall.

HAL is a class act :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you like Carnival, or are you looking for something different. What made you think about the Nieuw Statendam - the ship, the itinerary, the price .....?

Cruisers can fall into two different groups - those that use ships to travel to new destinations and those that use ships to have a special onboard experience -- most probably fit in the middle, but it you fall more on one side than another, it can make a difference which ship or cruise line you want to consider.

My dw is Dutch but what exactly is at the Dutch cafe? Would we feel out of place as she suffers from social anxiety

Typically HAL ships offer a lot of private nooks and quiet spaces, with very little social intrusion. You can choose your own level of activity while on board. Tables for two in the dining rooms, very good room service if you want to spend more time in your cabin and plenty of roaming space to find your favorite secluded outdoor space.

Do they have like a serenity area? Or a spa area?

There is a special fee thermal spa area, depending on the ship it can be of various sizes. One goes to the thermal spa for a limited period time but does not really stay there for the day. The thermal spa has a large to very large whirlpool hot tub - some large enough to paddle around in.

They also have a room thermal ceramic loungers with some wonderful sea views and some aroma therapy shower stalls. There are also saunas in this thermal spa area. This will be an additional charge of a few hundred dollars depending on the length of the cruise, though they discount the second person.

One some of the ship there are also outdoor private tented cabanas, also for an extra fee that people report being very happy with - you have a special steward you keeps you pampered with special food and extra services. There are also "spa cabins" but I have not quite figured out why these are special - a little different in decor and amenities - a yoga mat and spa toiletries and also closer to the fitness studio.

The Koningsdam has a superlative Thermal Spa and I am sure the ms Nieuw Statendam will have the same. The Spa area is a destination in it self, IMHO.

Don't expect the atmosphere of the ship to be the same as a Carnival ship, somewhat more sophisticated. The entertainment onboard is excellent, whether at Billboard on Board or the Lincoln Center Stage or if you like B B King in the Queens Lounge, we even enjoyed the piano stylings in the Ocean Bar, and the Main Stage....Excellent, the best production shows at sea.

If you enjoy the Spa, yes it is an extra cost, I would recommend a Spa cabin whether inside or out on the Panorama Deck (10).

Oh, BTW, we are not in our 30's, add 40 to that.

One of my friends says that Hal is for senior citizens and their parents.

Old joke. To each their own. HAL has very high passenger loyalty. Lots of cruise ships, particularly longer cruises work best for those who are retired. Pick your cruise accordingly.

We would pick a 7 day Caribbean cruise, btw what is the dress code?

Pretty much anything casual for daytime, no bathing suits in the inside Lido buffet area.

Smart casual for evening dining in the main dining room. Casual elsewhere. Two "gala nights" in the main dining room most likely on a 7 day cruise which are black tie optional - HAL posts their minimum guidelines for that evening which don't ask a lot.

You see pretty much the whole range from their minimum guidelines to black tie and gowns on Gala Night. It is a fun evening if you like to dress up. And not too onerous if you do not. The premium extra fee restaurants may have a stricter dress code expectations, but we have seen just about everything there too.

Enforcement of the dress guidelines will vary with each ship. Know them ahead of time, pack accordingly and then make your dining decisions accordingly once you see how well they are followed when you get on board. A sparkly top or shawl and black pants or skirt can be just fine for women and jacket and tie, or a dress shirt and dark pants for men.

Same applies to when when we were cruising on HAL 30 years ago and now that we are older:

:) HAL is great for Port Intensive cruises when you actually want to return to a quiet ship and get to bed early. (y)

:o Honestly, we would be bored silly with too many sea days on HAL. (n)

Same applies to when when we were cruising on HAL 30 years ago and now that we are older:

:) HAL is great for Port Intensive cruises when you actually want to return to a quiet ship and get to bed early. (y)

:o Honestly, we would be bored silly with too many sea days on HAL. (n)

Long cruises that have lots of sea days is when we find HAL on board activities are at their best - but we like enrichment lectures. Often HAL puts on 3 a day, on diverse and very interesting topics. Sometimes with follow up chat seminars with the speaker. But this is now only on the longer, and esp the theme cruises.

Most HAL cruises do not have that many extended at-sea days - the transatlantic and the in depth south pacific ones come immediately to mind.

One of my friends says that Hal is for senior citizens and their parents.

True - but those senior citizens frequently travel with their children and grandchildren - and sometimes they just stay home and pay for their children and grandchildren to cruise. Your friend seems good at repeating cliches, but might not be really well-informed.

How're the drink packages? Do they have the double salted Dutch candies that are black at the Dutch cafe?

Are you serious? Maybe you need to start by reading the HAL website and reading this board and reviews. The amenities and deck planes for every ship are in the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums