JFK to Cape Liberty Cruise port

rakuroda

Our first cruise from Cape Liberty Cruise port.

How do you get from JFK to Cape Liberty Cruise port?

We're getting in to JFK the day before the ship leaves Cape Liberty Cruise port. Where do you recommend we stay the night before? There don't appear to be any hotels near the Cape Liberty Cruise port.

What is your exact date? How many people? What is your hotel budget? Can you manage your luggage to take surface level transportation that is accessible?

What time does your flight arrive?

Edited by 138east

I think we arrive at 7am on Sept. 9th, and board the ship on Sept. 10th. We are flying into JFK and didn't realize that Cape Liberty Cruise port was out in the middle of nowhere.

Just my wife and I. My wife thought we could rent a car, sightsee along the way and then drop it off in New Jersey somewhere. We normally have two bags each, one large and one carry-on, so I can manage our luggage.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Aloha from Hawaii! ! !

IMO both JFK and Cape Liberty are in the middle of nowhere!

Let's start with your hotel budget. That will affect your choices and the suggestions we make. You're arriving on a Wed morning, so renting a car and trying to make it into NY at rush hour is probably not the best strategy. What kind of sightseeing do you want to do in NYC?

Aloha 138east,

My wife and I are both retired now and this will be our 3rd cruise. We went on the 7 day Anchorage to Vancouver in 2012 and 7 day around Hokkaido last year on Princess. This is the first time we're cruising from the east coast.

My wife was thinking we would stay at Candlewood Suites Jersey City. She was saying that she thought we should rent a car at JFK, drive along the coast and on to Staten Island using the Verranzano Narrows Bridge into New Jersey using the Bayonne Bridge and drop the car off at the Enterprise car rental at the DoubleTree Jersey City. The 1 day rental with the drop off fee is about $120. I would then walk to the Candlewood Suites Jersey City. We would be able to use the car for the day.

I've been reading the "CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!! (Multi-page thread" since I last posted and thought your postings were very helpful.

I read the suggestion about catching the PATH light rail and was thinking that if we stay at the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, there is a Harborside Light Rail Station about 250 yards from the hotel. If we dragged the bags from the hotel to the Harborside station and caught the PATH to the 34th Street station on the day of departure for the cruise, would it save us about $20 in cab fare. For that amount, I think my wife is going to prefer to catch the cab from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port.

I was thinking that since we are planning to stay in New York for a few days after the cruise, our daughter lives in Manhattan, if we were to use the PATH from the NJ side, catching it to Penn Station NY after the cruise might save us a few $ on the way to our (yet to be decided) NY hotel.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Aloha, rakuroda

Hi OP. I want to comment on your wife's idea about renting the car. Your drive from JFK to Staten Island is along the coast sorta. On your left is the water but on your right are dingy buildings. You will be driving in a very urban area with very heavy traffic. It won't be like Hawaii or the PCH in CA If you feel comfortable doing that, and you would like to visit the Statue of Liberty, it is much easier doing that from NJ. You can drive to Liberty State Park. Otherwise use the $120 on a car service such as Dial 7, to drive you from JFK to your hotel.

I live in NJ, and have family on Long Island. There is nothing I hate more than driving to and from LI. I do I when I have to, but no one in NJ or on LI likes going back and forth. A car service will keep track of traffic, and make adjustments. I use WAZE to figure out the best way at any given time, but usually hit some anyway.

Aloha 138east,

My wife and I are both retired now and this will be our 3rd cruise. We went on the 7 day Anchorage to Vancouver in 2012 and 7 day around Hokkaido last year on Princess. This is the first time we're cruising from the east coast.

My wife was thinking we would stay at Candlewood Suites Jersey City. She was saying that she thought we should rent a car at JFK, drive along the coast and on to Staten Island using the Verranzano Narrows Bridge into New Jersey using the Bayonne Bridge and drop the car off at the Enterprise car rental at the DoubleTree Jersey City. The 1 day rental with the drop off fee is about $120. I would then walk to the Candlewood Suites Jersey City. We would be able to use the car for the day.

I've been reading the "CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!! (Multi-page thread" since I last posted and thought your postings were very helpful.

I read the suggestion about catching the PATH light rail and was thinking that if we stay at the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, there is a Harborside Light Rail Station about 250 yards from the hotel. If we dragged the bags from the hotel to the Harborside station and caught the PATH to the 34th Street station on the day of departure for the cruise, would it save us about $20 in cab fare. For that amount, I think my wife is going to prefer to catch the cab from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port.

I was thinking that since we are planning to stay in New York for a few days after the cruise, our daughter lives in Manhattan, if we were to use the PATH from the NJ side, catching it to Penn Station NY after the cruise might save us a few $ on the way to our (yet to be decided) NY hotel.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Aloha, rakuroda

I agree with the previous poster about not renting a car, particularly at an early hour of a weekday morning to drive along the "coast" (otherwise known as the potentially bumper to bumper Belt Parkway), paying $14 to cross the Verazzano Bridge, hoping that the Bayonne Bridge is not closed that day forcing you to go across the Goethals Bridge to pick up the NJ Turnpike at exit 13 to go to Exit 14C ($4.00 toll.).

Price a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo from JFK directly to Candlewood Suites as well as to the World Trade Center Path Entrance in downtown Manhattan. That way you can decide if it is worth taking PATH from World Trade one stop to Exchange Place for $2.75/pp and the light rail at Exchange Place two stops for $1.05/pp senior rate ($2.10 if under 62).

You should be fine at Candlewood Suites. Keep in mind that it will cost you either $2.10 or $4.20 to go all the way to Bayonne on the light rail plus $10-12 (best estimate - prices have gone screwy at Cape Liberty recently) to get into the port. A cab to the port will run at least $50 from your hotel, so IMO you've underestimated your savings. Do you have the cab company phone numbers? You can call and ask what the cost will be from the light rail to the port.

The light rail and PATH will definitely save you serious money going into Manhattan after the cruise. If your hotel is in midtown, you would take the light rail to Hoboken and pick up PATH there to go to midtown. That is the easiest transfer point.

• 2 weeks later...

Flying into JFK and back due to visiting family and friends in the Queens area--

We will be using Dial 7 to get us from JFK to Country Inn in Elizabeth and then back again from Cape Liberty to car rental area at JFK.

It will end up being around $200 with tip and tolls each way--yes expensive-- but the most comfortable way for us to do this.

Once every couple of years we visit family and friends in New Jersey as well as Queens and Long Island. We absolutely hate the drive back and forth, but we rent a car for the week or so to do that.

Believe me, we checked out every logistic-- rent a car drive to NJ leave in parking lot by the ship, drive back--using a car service is the least annoying and less expensive then the car rental idea for the cruise---

Everyone's situation is different.. so I would just do the least expensive and least annoying option. Good luck.

Edited by Jetswdo

Aloha, :D

Thank you all for the advice. I still don't know what my wife wants to do. I can only give her the options I see and patiently wait until she tells me what we are going to do.

My preference is to take the carmellimo from JFK to NJ and stay where she wants to stay and not leave the hotel until the next morning. Take a taxi to the cruise port and say the hell with it.

Thank you all for the advice. I still don't know what my wife wants to do. I can only give her the options I see and patiently wait until she tells me what we are going to do.

My preference is to take the carmellimo from JFK to NJ and stay where she wants to stay and not leave the hotel until the next morning. Take a taxi to the cruise port and say the hell with it.

I don't blame your wife for wanting to visit NYC after traveling all that way from Hawaii. I see that 138 East gave you excellent directions how to see the Statue of Liberty on the other thread. Have confidence that you'll be able to do it.

Aloha all :D

Since my daughter moved to Manhattan 3+ years ago, we've been to NYC several times.

We've been to Liberty Island to visit Lady Liberty and walked around Central Park several times. We've been to DUMBO and (my favorite) eaten at various pizza places and delis. We've stayed in Manhattan and Long Island City and I've found the people in NYC to be about the same as people every where else we've traveled only in more of a hurry.

The only thing I've really noticed is that the people in Hawaii are less likely to look for an opportunity to take advantage of a tourist (Hawaii businesses stress that we need people to want to come back to Hawaii so treating them nice is important to enhance their experience).

The only place I've been to where the people treat you nicer is Japan. The only problem there is that no matter what the literature says, they don't really speak english except at the front desk of the hotels.

I spend hours and hours familarizing myself with simple phrases to ask simple questions and the answers I should expect, how to order food, ask for directions to specific places and I make sure I carry good maps that are in Japanese and english or one in Japanese and another one in english so I can compare the two and find my way.

I find that the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked! ! ! They aren't allowed to kill and eat you if they don't want to answer your questions.

Aloha :D

Flying into JFK and back due to visiting family and friends in the Queens area--

We will be using Dial 7 to get us from JFK to Country Inn in Elizabeth and then back again from Cape Liberty to car rental area at JFK.

It will end up being around $200 with tip and tolls each way--yes expensive-- but the most comfortable way for us to do this.

Once every couple of years we visit family and friends in New Jersey as well as Queens and Long Island. We absolutely hate the drive back and forth, but we rent a car for the week or so to do that.

Believe me, we checked out every logistic-- rent a car drive to NJ leave in parking lot by the ship, drive back--using a car service is the least annoying and less expensive then the car rental idea for the cruise---

Everyone's situation is different.. so I would just do the least expensive and least annoying option. Good luck.

Aloha :D,

How many people are you transporting for the cost to be $200 per trip? For us it will only be my wife and myself. I figured it would be about $80 plus $20 tolls plus $20 tip from JFK to our Jersey City hotel. I'm basing the cost on JFK to EWR airport to airport using carmellimo.

What people don't understand, believe me if we weren't experienced with the JFK to New Jersey headached, is that the limo companies with give you the quote without tolls or the usual $30 tip. Both dial 7 and Carmel are within $10 of each other, depending which curent coupons are being offered. Also, we are using a mini van with them, which is more than a smaller vehicle.

But no matter which vehicle you choose for them to use, add about $50-$60 each way, for tolls and tips. They don't like telling you how much the tolls are in advance, you need to press them for that info.

We are just two persons also, but will have two large suitcases, two carryons, two backpacks with us. The ride is a pain in the neck, so at least we want to be comfortable with plenty of room.

When we are not on a cruise, and rent a car to go to New Jersy, and back to Queens, we always rent a mini van, or reasonably size SUV, whichever is cheaper at the time. The one or two times that we rented a small car to do this, we have regretted it every time.

Edited by Jetswdo

I really don't think you need a minivan for two people and luggage. It's definitely cheaper to take a town car. We drive a minivan, but there are 7 of us, so a bit cramped, but we suck it up. I'm also a very light packer! On our last cruise, we drove from NJ to NYC, and fit all of out luggage, plus a couple cases of water!

I really don't think you need a minivan for two people and luggage. It's definitely cheaper to take a town car. We drive a minivan, but there are 7 of us, so a bit cramped, but we suck it up. I'm also a very light packer! On our last cruise, we drove from NJ to NYC, and fit all of out luggage, plus a couple cases of water!

You're right - they don't need a minivan, but speaking as a minivan driver, I'm betting they really like a minivan, particularly in an unfamiliar place. I hate small random rental cars, but I suck it up and get them, but not everyone is willing to do that.

You're right - they don't need a minivan, but speaking as a minivan driver, I'm betting they really like a minivan, particularly in an unfamiliar place. I hate small random rental cars, but I suck it up and get them, but not everyone is willing to do that.

I was responding to the PP who hires a minivan from Carmel or dial7 for the extra room. I doubt they'd show up in a ford focus if you asked for a regular car.

Yes, but the OP was wondering how much they should expect to pay for car service, and that OP told them $200 each way, which seems high.

And it is too high if you only need a sedan for 2 people. That should run about $125-$150 including tolls and tip. A mini van would cost about $200.

We used Carmel, almost exclusively over Dial7 and with their free mobile App, it's just like using Uber or Lyft (user UN-friendly for non-USA travelers with no mobile data access) and endorse them for airport & cruise transportation. When we leave from home/office - sometimes, the job go to our neighborhood car service, which is priced almost the same/sometimes slightly higher as we like to support local businesses in the community - and, if the lines are short at the pier, a yellow taxi is always an option.

The "surcharge" for a minivan at Carmel is usually in the $10 to $15 ballpark range over a deluxe/regular 4 door sedan. We have had a mini-van showed up and only charged a 4 door sedan range as that was dispatched as available, no extra or surcharge - and, nothing smaller than a Toyota Camary or Nissan Altima 4 door, which is comfortable for up to 3 people & luggage (four is a squeeze with people & bags).

Just did a Mobile App price quote with Carmel on going from JFK to EWR, using 3 PM this afternoon as pickup time at T7 (typical of West Coast arrival, worst time to drive into PM rush hour traffic to leave/cross town to NJ) - base fare for regular sedan is $74, deluxe/luxury sedan is $81 and minivan is $89, plus tolls & tips - which are excellent prices for door-to-door/curb-to-curb services. Most of the sedan are Lincoln Towncars and mini's are mostly late model Toyota & Honda's. Prices with Dial7 tend to be higher but some travelers prefer them over Carmel - both are fine, IMO and we see no reasons to switch, they're only late once for 10 minutes as driver coming to our house on a weekend pickup got lost with his GPS ... LOL.

Remember to find & use the online promo/discount code as that will take $3 or $4 off the fare, sometimes a little more.

Sorry if it bothers you that we just prefer to be in a larger roomier car when driving from Queens to NJ. When on vacation, I don't want to "suck it up" to save a little money and be uncomfortable-- but that's just me. It is less from Dial 7 or Carmel, if using a smaller car. I stand by what I wrote. If it makes you feel any better, when we rent a car just for the Queens and Long Island area, we do rent a much smaller car- to save money and for easier parking. When we go into Manhattan, we spring for a taxi or call dial 7--