Elbow Beach

mintsugarcube

I am a little concerned about our trip to Elbow Beach. I have walking difficulties and it looks like the hill to get back to the bus stop is a pretty steep incline. Is that true?

If so, I was thinking about just skipping the walk up the hill and the bus and instead just getting a taxi to pick us up from down the hill to take us to the dockyard.

Anyone know how much that would be? Also, what number would I call to ask them to do that?

Is there a "specific" spot that the taxi would meet us at right near the beach (never been there before so I don't know)? And are the taxis pretty reliable? If I say "could you please meet me 3 hours from now at X pm" would they be on time?!!

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate you!

If you have walking difficulties I would take a taxi. Be aware after walking from the bus stop to the beach there is a staircase. While I'm not sure of the number of stairs, I woul say 10-15. I don"t know the cost of a taxi. I doubt there would be one waiting when you want to return. It's not as popular and more isolated. You may be able to get someone at the bar to call a taxi for you. Last year my mom and I, she 87, got dropped off and picked up by taxi. Every time we are back in Bermuda she likes to go there because she honeymooned with my dad at the Elbow Beach Hotel. Last year the surf was quite rough and the incline getting out of the water back to the beach was quite high that she didn't feel comfortable getting into the water after the first time she went in. My mom despite her age is very active and fit. Because of that this year we will only be going to horseshoe bay. More accessible and plenty of taxis and more facilities. Also if needed, I have seen they have wheel chairs for the beach for use

I am a little concerned about our trip to Elbow Beach. I have walking difficulties and it looks like the hill to get back to the bus stop is a pretty steep incline. Is that true?

If so, I was thinking about just skipping the walk up the hill and the bus and instead just getting a taxi to pick us up from down the hill to take us to the dockyard.

Anyone know how much that would be? Also, what number would I call to ask them to do that?

Is there a "specific" spot that the taxi would meet us at right near the beach (never been there before so I don't know)? And are the taxis pretty reliable? If I say "could you please meet me 3 hours from now at X pm" would they be on time?!!

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate you!

Been years since I have been there but I don't think taxis go down the hill. There was no parking lot. Someone should correct me if I recall wrong. The taxis were in front of the lobby of the Elbow Beach Resort off the South Road. At that time about ten years ago there was a concession on the private side of the beach which no longer operates where I rented a chair. I took the bus and walked down a lane to the public side of the beach. When I left I pretended to be a hotel guest and walked up the hill on resort property to the main building because I wanted to see the resort. I saw the lobby and taxis in the drive in front. The hotel had shuttles then for their guests to shuttle around the property. What exactly are your plans for Elbow Beach? Are you doing a Day Pass? Or are you going to throw a towel on the public part of the beach? If you are doing a day pass perhaps they will shuttle you up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where the bus drops people off is a long allyway that has parking spots for cars and mopeds. The taxi took us to the end and dropped us off by the stair case leading to the beach. This is the public area. That is where he came back and picked us up. We rented chairs and umbrella from the resort bar. The main hotel at the Elbow Beach Resort is closed. ONly the ball room is open for events. COttages on the grounds are open. We were told they are deciding if they are going to renovate or knock down and rebuild the hotel.

We took a taxi last week from the Hamilton ferry terminal. Just under $13 + tip.

There may be other ways to get there, but we did the Coco Reef Day Pass and it was the BEST experience we have ever had!! No hassles, no rules, just take it easy and relax. Delicious food, gorgeous beach and nice pool area.

The taxi drops you off right in front of the hotel, but there's still a steep black top walkway then the wooden staircase. I can see it being difficult for some people to get down to the beach. We both have knee problems so just took it a bit slow.

We had the front desk call a taxi and it took about 15 mins. for it to come.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Where the bus drops people off is a long allyway that has parking spots for cars and mopeds. The taxi took us to the end and dropped us off by the stair case leading to the beach. This is the public area. That is where he came back and picked us up. We rented chairs and umbrella from the resort bar. The main hotel at the Elbow Beach Resort is closed. ONly the ball room is open for events. COttages on the grounds are open. We were told they are deciding if they are going to renovate or knock down and rebuild the hotel.

Interesting about the main hotel building being closed. I had not heard about that. I remember thinking when I was in the main building that it looked dated and I could not see staying there at their high room rates for what it looked like.

Edited by Charles4515

The main hotel lodging closed in November 2009. REnovations were to take place within a year or two but the global economic recession and hard time in Bermuda with getting loans ended up with delays. Last I heard now that the economy has improved they are now deciding if the should knock it down and rebuild or renovate. Surprisingly there are quite a few hotels that have closed and are abandoned due to the economy. The America's Cup coming next year is starting to revive the economy.

The main hotel lodging closed in November 2009. REnovations were to take place within a year or two but the global economic recession and hard time in Bermuda with getting loans ended up with delays. Last I heard now that the economy has improved they are now deciding if the should knock it down and rebuild or renovate. Surprisingly there are quite a few hotels that have closed and are abandoned due to the economy. The America's Cup coming next year is starting to revive the economy.

Not surprising. Plans for new hotels or renovating old hotels usually fall thru in Bermuda. That has been the case for the twenty years I have been going to Bermuda. Great plans and announcements that never get done. As for the Americas Cup next year it is great it is happening in Bermuda but that likely is a one time event.

If you have walking difficulties I would take a taxi. Be aware after walking from the bus stop to the beach there is a staircase. While I'm not sure of the number of stairs' date=' I woul say 10-15. I don"t know the cost of a taxi. I doubt there would be one waiting when you want to return. It's not as popular and more isolated. You may be able to get someone at the bar to call a taxi for you. Last year my mom and I, she 87, got dropped off and picked up by taxi. Every time we are back in Bermuda she likes to go there because she honeymooned with my dad at the Elbow Beach Hotel. Last year the surf was quite rough and the incline getting out of the water back to the beach was quite high that she didn't feel comfortable getting into the water after the first time she went in. My mom despite her age is very active and fit. Because of that this year we will only be going to horseshoe bay. More accessible and plenty of taxis and more facilities. Also if needed, I have seen they have wheel chairs for the beach for use[/quote']

Where did you and your mom sit while at Elbow Beach? Do they rent loungers and umbrellas to walk ups?

From the public beach access' date=' To the left of the staircase is the hotel beach bar where we were able to rent chairs and an umbrella. We arranged for the taxi that brought us there to come back for us.[/quote']

So this was last year. Do you recall how much they charged to rent the chairs and an umbrella?

It was last June and we are going again in 2 weeks. I think for the taxi rides' date=' chairs, umbrella, a two drinks we spent close to $100 for the two of us.[/quote']

I was also there last June and I am going to Bermuda again in two weeks but probably not to Elbow. I prefer Horseshoe. There is a chance though we might decide to do Elbow as have not been to Elbow for ten years.

Edited by Charles4515

It was last June and we are going again in 2 weeks. I think for the taxi rides' date=' chairs, umbrella, a two drinks we spent close to $100 for the two of us.[/quote']

Good to know. I always thought you have to reserve in advance

All I can say is...THANK YOU for all of your responses!

Much appreciated.

As far as my plan on Elbow. Yes, I had tried to see if I could get the day pass. And yes, I now understand why I cannot!

Truthfully, it's my two adult daughters who want to go more than me. I'm kind of just tagging along. Of course, this is what I say now. I'm sure when I get there I will be pleased as punch!

Our intent is only to go snorkeling. I wasn't going to rent a chair. Just snorkel.

To those who have snorkeled at Elbow...Any advice? Did you see a lot of fish?

Also, we are going to arrive by bus, but depart by taxi.

Since one of you awesome people did use the taxi, was it on time? Just concerned as we have reservations elsewhere

Again...thank you all for your time!

It's been a LONG time since we've gone to Elbow Beach, but if you have some walking issues, maybe Horseshoe Bay is a better option. It's a VERY steep hill down to the beach, but a van will take you down for $1 and up for $2. You can rent chairs, umbrellas, there are changing/bathroom facilities and snack bar. Snorkeling is pretty good, too. Are you going to go to St George? We liked to snorkel at Tobacco Bay even more than at Horseshoe. We've always walked from the Sq at St George's, but you could take a cab if the walk would be too much for you. Its much smaller than Horseshoe, but there are similar facilities there, as well.

Much appreciated.

As far as my plan on Elbow. Yes, I had tried to see if I could get the day pass. And yes, I now understand why I cannot!

Truthfully, it's my two adult daughters who want to go more than me. I'm kind of just tagging along. Of course, this is what I say now. I'm sure when I get there I will be pleased as punch!

Our intent is only to go snorkeling. I wasn't going to rent a chair. Just snorkel.

Since one of you awesome people did use the taxi, was it on time? Just concerned as we have reservations elsewhere

NO not many fish at all at Elbow beach.

Not a good place to see much snorkeling.

Sorry.

Tobacco bay beach is THE Best place to snorkel , Ton's of fish .

Edited by biker@sea

No, I didn't see many fish. Part of that was because there was a strong rip current that day and I ended up staying close to shore in the water. But I don't think Elbow is where you go for snorkeling. You go for the beach. I always have my mask and snorkel but neither Elbow of Horseshoe are where to go for snorkeling per se. Tobacco Bay and Church Bay are where I would go in Bermuda. For someone with trouble walking Tobacco Bay would be optimal. You can take a taxi from the ferry or a shuttle from the St Georges town square. Otherwise go to Horseshoe since you can take a taxi or shuttle right down to the beach.

Much appreciated.

The surf is rough at Elbow and there are huge boulders in the water. If you just want to snorkel go to horseshoe beach. There is a cove with lots of rocks. Just bring some bread or cereal and the fish will practically eat out of your hand. The logistics of getting to and fro horseshoe beach so much easier

Horrible. Another reason for Horseshoe is that Horseshoe has lifeguards. Plus there are people around to get help.

• 2 weeks later...

Much appreciated.

I live near Elbow beach and go snorkelling there frequently. There are two shipwrecks in relatively shallow water, but they are at the outer reef line which is some distance from the beach. They are marked with buoys so you can see their location from shore. You must get to the reefs to see fish and the farther you go out the more you tend to see. Many people hit the reef closest to shore and are disappointed when they see very little. Go another fifty yards and the wildlife appears.

Also, the currents usually run from west to east, so go to the west end of the beach (right if you are facing the water) and swim out from there. That will allow you to drift on the currents back up the beach toward the Elbow Beach Hotel. As you walk west on the beach, you will encounter a sign that says that beyond the sign the a entities are for the exclusive use of members and guests of Coral Beach Club. You get the same signs going east, stating that the amenities are for the exclusive use of Elbow Beach Hotel guests. These signs are referring to the chairs and not the beach itself. The whole beach is public, so use it from end to end.

Bermuda taxis can be a little unreliable, particularly at peak times or when it rains. You might call dispatch and be told ten minutes but 25 minutes later the taxi still hasn't shown up. There is a new iPhone/Android app available called Hitch. It is a little like Uber, but for the local taxi drivers. I like the app because it lets you request a taxi then see which taxi has been assigned, where they are in real time on a map, and the phone number of the driver of anything goes wrong. You are given an ETA so you know how long your driver will be. If you are going by bus and leaving by taxi, I would give the app a try.

Also, if you are using the public entrance to Elbow Beach and call a taxi, make sure they know that or your taxi might end up at the hotel. If fact, you may just find it easier to end your day at Elbow Beach Hotel's restaurant complex on the beach, order a drink, and take a taxi from there. There are usually several taxis waiting in a queue there.

• 2 months later...

We visited a couple of years ago just as a walk in. We were allowed to have lunch but no beach access. Lovely. However, I had vacationed there in 1966(good gosh) and wanted to see how it had changed. It was elegant, 5 course gormet meals and beyond - flight from Boston with 3 meals a day for seven days for a total of $240. I, at this time, met a man who gave me a tour who was there in 1960 and he was so very nice. It was nothing like I remembered it and I felt sad. Beach and restaurant very nice but my memories are just that.

We visited a couple of years ago just as a walk in. We were allowed to have lunch but no beach access. Lovely. However, I had vacationed there in 1966(good gosh) and wanted to see how it had changed. It was elegant, 5 course gormet meals and beyond - flight from Boston with 3 meals a day for seven days for a total of $240. I, at this time, met a man who gave me a tour who was there in 1960 and he was so very nice. It was nothing like I remembered it and I felt sad. Beach and restaurant very nice but my memories are just that.

I had the opposite experience at the Hamilton Princess when I went back after spending a week there in the early 70s. It was even more elegant than I remembered so they had done renovations. Had a picture taken in the exact spot as one from my previous trip.:)

Many ask here about high tea and the Hamilton Princess is one place that offers it which is pricey. I was able to partake for a whole week.:D I went from Balt., paid about what you did for flight, hotel, meals and a couple of tours.