Warning for first time cruisers (sea sickness)

Ziad

Hello first time cruisers!

I would like to share with you my experience with cruising, hopefully it might help those of you who are planning for their first time cruise and who are afraid they might have sea sickness.

I've been on my first cruise with my wife on board Brilliance of the Seas (Mediterranean) in the summer of 2009, everything was great, the trip, the food, the ship, the weather, no sea sickness at all, no problems whatsoever, it was simply amazing that I decided to go on a cruise whenever we can afford it!

The following year (2010), we found a great deal for another Mediterranean cruise on board Vision of the Seas, the price was so good that we couldn't even resist not going on that cruise, the only problem was that it was in November and that the weather might not be that good in Europe.

Anyways, we went and everything was going fine the first couple of days until the day we left from Villefranche in France. As soon as we boarded the ship we went to our room in order to change for dinner, that's when the ship started moving very roughly that I couldn't even stand still inside the room, I started to feel sea sick even though I've never felt sea sick before in my life. We didn't bring any medicine with us as we didn't expect that this would happen. The ship movement was getting rougher and rougher with time and my wife and I were just lying on the bed not able to move or do anything, I started sweating really heavily even though the room wasn't hot, and I felt like my head was just going to explode, I swear it's the worst feeling ever, you won't know what I am talking about unless you experience it. I swear if I had a gun that day I would have shot myself just to stop the pain, it's that bad trust me. I know that we must have called room service and asked for some pills but we were totally paralyzed that we couldn't do anything and every minute we told ourselves that it will get better but instead it got worse. Anyways, we couldn't sleep a minute that night until the ship docked in Barcelona. We went to have breakfast since we didn't go to dinner the previous night and everything looked normal on the ship, and I even asked some of the people if they experienced anything the previous night and they all said that it was all normal!

We went to Barcelona that day and the first thing we did we went to a pharmacy and bought some sea sickness pills, they had two packs, 4 or 8 pills, we though that there were a couple of days left to the cruise and 4 would be enough (stupid decision I know). That evening we got on the ship took 1 pill each, and went to dinner, the waiter asked us why didn't we come the previous night and we told him that we were sea sick, he smiled and said yesterday the waves were only 3 meters high! that's very normal! in Scandinavia we used to sail with 13 meters waves!!

We took the 2 remaining pills the next day and everything went fine, and even though the sea was a little rough we didn't feel anything serious.

However, on the last day when we sailed from Cadiz to Lisbon, history repeated itself, and the sea was very rough and sea sickness kicked in ... again, but this time even worse, we couldn't go to dinner and we were both paralyzed on the bed not able to do anything, we even had to take our luggage out since it's the last day, we couldn't even move. One way or the other we managed to push and drag the bags outside the room, it's only like 2 meters I know but it felt like a marathon! we couldn't sleep also that night.

By the way we are only 27 years old and we don't have any health problems. All that time I was wondering how would the other older cruisers handle a situation like this, I mean, I am 27 and I was all sweating and my heart was pounding, I am not sure if the same happened to someone in his/her late 70's, he/she would survive.

In conclusion, sea sickness made our cruise a disaster, and now there's noway we can go on another cruise even if it was for free! These days I start feeling sick whenever I talk about cruise or whenever I visit a cruise line website. I know part of that may have been our fault because we didn't take any precautions before our trip, but the ship could have at least provided some pills in each room or at least a note and instructions on how to deal with sea sickness as I am sure that there are many people who suffer from it.

I am not telling you not to go cruising, cruising is great and lots of fun, however you should consult your doctor first and take all precautions before going.

Good luck :)

I am not telling you not to go cruising, cruising is great and lots of fun, however you should consult your doctor first and take all precautions before going.

Sorry to hear that you got seasick. It's never fun to be sick or seasick on cruise.

Your last point is well taken.

The key is to prepare for the worst by bringing the remedies that work best for you and to consult with a doctor ahead of time.

Also, it's a good idea to read up about what one can do to minimize side effect from rough seas.

I also recommend booking cabin that is mid ship on a lower deck.

Keith

I would like to share with you my experience with cruising, hopefully it might help those of you who are planning for their first time cruise and who are afraid they might have sea sickness.

I've been on my first cruise with my wife on board Brilliance of the Seas (Mediterranean) in the summer of 2009, everything was great, the trip, the food, the ship, the weather, no sea sickness at all, no problems whatsoever, it was simply amazing that I decided to go on a cruise whenever we can afford it!

The following year (2010), we found a great deal for another Mediterranean cruise on board Vision of the Seas, the price was so good that we couldn't even resist not going on that cruise, the only problem was that it was in November and that the weather might not be that good in Europe.

Anyways, we went and everything was going fine the first couple of days until the day we left from Villefranche in France. As soon as we boarded the ship we went to our room in order to change for dinner, that's when the ship started moving very roughly that I couldn't even stand still inside the room, I started to feel sea sick even though I've never felt sea sick before in my life. We didn't bring any medicine with us as we didn't expect that this would happen. The ship movement was getting rougher and rougher with time and my wife and I were just lying on the bed not able to move or do anything, I started sweating really heavily even though the room wasn't hot, and I felt like my head was just going to explode, I swear it's the worst feeling ever, you won't know what I am talking about unless you experience it. I swear if I had a gun that day I would have shot myself just to stop the pain, it's that bad trust me. I know that we must have called room service and asked for some pills but we were totally paralyzed that we couldn't do anything and every minute we told ourselves that it will get better but instead it got worse. Anyways, we couldn't sleep a minute that night until the ship docked in Barcelona. We went to have breakfast since we didn't go to dinner the previous night and everything looked normal on the ship, and I even asked some of the people if they experienced anything the previous night and they all said that it was all normal!

We went to Barcelona that day and the first thing we did we went to a pharmacy and bought some sea sickness pills, they had two packs, 4 or 8 pills, we though that there were a couple of days left to the cruise and 4 would be enough (stupid decision I know). That evening we got on the ship took 1 pill each, and went to dinner, the waiter asked us why didn't we come the previous night and we told him that we were sea sick, he smiled and said yesterday the waves were only 3 meters high! that's very normal! in Scandinavia we used to sail with 13 meters waves!!

We took the 2 remaining pills the next day and everything went fine, and even though the sea was a little rough we didn't feel anything serious.

However, on the last day when we sailed from Cadiz to Lisbon, history repeated itself, and the sea was very rough and sea sickness kicked in ... again, but this time even worse, we couldn't go to dinner and we were both paralyzed on the bed not able to do anything, we even had to take our luggage out since it's the last day, we couldn't even move. One way or the other we managed to push and drag the bags outside the room, it's only like 2 meters I know but it felt like a marathon! we couldn't sleep also that night.

By the way we are only 27 years old and we don't have any health problems. All that time I was wondering how would the other older cruisers handle a situation like this, I mean, I am 27 and I was all sweating and my heart was pounding, I am not sure if the same happened to someone in his/her late 70's, he/she would survive.

In conclusion, sea sickness made our cruise a disaster, and now there's noway we can go on another cruise even if it was for free! These days I start feeling sick whenever I talk about cruise or whenever I visit a cruise line website. I know part of that may have been our fault because we didn't take any precautions before our trip, but the ship could have at least provided some pills in each room or at least a note and instructions on how to deal with sea sickness as I am sure that there are many people who suffer from it.

I have suffered from motion sickness my entire life and have been cruising for 29 years.

With so many available remedies, I manage to keep the motion sickness in check.

I even get car sick when others drive, I was praying that between the patch, and anything else I can I might be okay, OP indicated the seas are rough where they went, what about the Caribbean in Jan., ? Rough seas or average, for a frist timer ? On a big boat !:eek:

Well, this is a large topic, and some background information will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is often the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

A ship's motion is a complicated matter. The size of the seas (height of the waves), frequency of the waves, and distance between the waves are all factors, and they interact with the size and speed of the ship as well as the direction of the ship as opposed to the direction of the waves. Stabilizers do help, but do not and cannot stop all motion. What seems odd is that you might notice motion, but notice very small seas, and sometimes get little motion in seemingly heavy seas. Do not think that a large cruise ship won't move -- trust me, the ocean is a whole lot bigger and way more powerful than a cruise ship! It is just that the amount of motion caused by the seas is more complicated than you would think.

As for the old saying of staying in a low cabin, that is not so true any longer. With the very large superstructures on modern cruising ships, the center of motion is significantly higher than it used to be, so the ideal place is often somewhere above the main deck. Being amidships minimizes pitching (bow going up and down), but has no effect on rolling (side-to-side).

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can eat ginger snaps, drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot), eat candied ginger, or take ginger pills (available in any drug store). This is a natural remedy obviously, but proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system -- you do not need to take it days in advance.

Some people, as noted in a previous post, swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the scopolamine patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves.

#1 buy some pills like a roll of bonine that are chewable, go to work faster, and they last 24 hours.

some regular pills like dramine are only good for 4 hours, so yes its important to read the directions.

#2 ...the pursers desk or infirmary always has some pills and has always given them out for free if you ask... plus they sell them on every ship I have been on in the onboard shops.

I think the lesson here is the OP should have gotten meds from the ship immediately and then bought 4 hour length seasickness pills.

I even get car sick when others drive, I was praying that between the patch, and anything else I can I might be okay, OP indicated the seas are rough where they went, what about the Caribbean in Jan., ? Rough seas or average, for a frist timer ? On a big boat !:eek:

Iv been hit a couple of times, and if I take something, Im almost immediately better. I never take meds until I feel a little queszy.

January seas can be rough or not ...no one can predict the weather, but hurricane season tends to be rougher, so you should be ok.

Read what the OP said as a cautionary tale how not to do it... be prepared, get 24 hour pills or chewable tablets and stick a roll in your suitcase.

Iv only used the patch in extreme weather, its almost always not needed, and I dont wear it ...just in case. Each patch lasts 3 days and has the same ingrediants as bonine.

The patch is not a slow dose version of bonine, it is, rather, a micro dose of scopolamine -- a much more serious drug. And it is really pretty much the motion sickness drug of last resort. While lots of people ask their doctors for prescriptions for it, most people do not need such a strong drug, and you have to be aware of the side effects! Most people who try the patch do not have serious side effects, but a few do. Talk to your doctor about this before trying it.

I get very motion sick -even rides at disney do it for me. I use Bonine - it works very well for me. I take one on the first day of the cruise and then go from there - if it's not terribly bumpy I'm usually ok, but I ALWAYS have it - I mean ALWAYS not just on cruises.

We had 15 foot waves on our honeymoon cruise BEFORE I discovered Bonine. I took Gravol and fell asleep for the night.

I fell bad that you couldn't get to the ship medical or purser's desk to get something to help you - I've been there so I do know how terrible it is. Too bad it's made you not want to cruise again. I know with the proper remedy you'd love it.

I have never been on a cruise ship, but I was out on a deep sea fishing boat - once. The OP did not exaggerate! I too would have gladly shot myself. Absolutely the worst experience of my life... and I've given birth without pain relief!

Anywho, I intend to load up on just about every seasickness remedy known to man! I've talked to many people who have gotten seasick on smaller vessles, and have kept it at bay - quite successfully - with drugs while on a cruise. However, I think the most important thing is to NOT assume that this won't happen to you, and be prepared. I remember when we set sail on the fishing boat being asked if I was afraid of getting sick - "Oh, No", I said. "I can ride any rollercoaster in the park - I'm sure I'll be fine"

yeah, right!

If you get seasick on a cruise and don't have medications handy, it often helps to place an ice cold can of soda pop or a bag of ice on the front of your neck just above the collar bone. The application of cold provides almost instant relief from nausea. I have used it on many, many people due to it being a safe/non drug remedy for nausea and it always works. I have used it for seasickness, nausea due to viruses/food poisoning, nausea due to accidentally hitting your head/mild concussion and also morning sickness. If you keep the ice cold can or bag of ice on your neck for about 5 minutes, you can get to the ship's infirmary to get help from the ship's doctor, who has several options for helping with seasickness including bonine and an anti-nausea shot. The ability of the cold to alleviate your nausea works for about 15 minutes and you can reapply the cold to your neck as often as desired, although it is not a good solution for a longterm situation such as overnight. Worst case scenario, at least call the ship's doctor on the phone and tell them about your seasickness. They will send someone to your cabin to assist you if necessary.

I'm really sorry the OP had his trip ruined by this situation which could have been prevented.

I completely feel OP's pain. I too have been crippled by seasickness. I am very susceptible to motion sickness - I even have to wear seabands at the movies. Anyone who does not experience severe motion sickness cannot begin to appreciate the absolute misery that it causes. The only thing that works for me is a combination of the scopolamine patch and Bonine. The one time I cruised without the patch (only took Bonine), the ship started rocking side to side as soon as we left and I was violently ill the whole night. At the time, if I could have made it out of the bed, I would have gone to one of the decks and jumped off. That is how miserable it is. But 2 days later when the ship started rocking again and I had my patch on, I was good to go. I agree that the patch isn't for everyone. If I could make do with something a little more mild, I would just to avoid the side effects of the patch (dry mouth and dilated pupils making it hard for me to read). But those side effects are much more tolerable than seasickness!

For me the regular Gravol doesnt work-it makes me want to be physically sick. I have found the Ginger Gravol fabulous. I take it before flights and on the ship as well. I also wear a band on my wrist-unsure if that is a mind thing or not but I still wear it. It is velcro, so I can adjust it, unlike the elastic ones. It is called biobands.com from the States. You only need to wear one.

One of the OTC meds that was not mentioned was Meclazine. I had a bad round of vertigo several years ago and was told to get some. Boy did it do the trick. Good stuff - that is. It's not all that expensive and really works. I don't suffer from "mal de mer" in general but do pack it on the cruises I go on in case someone is in need. Another bonus is that it seems to work while your experiencing the motion sickness so no need to take ahead.

One of the OTC meds that was not mentioned was Meclazine. I had a bad round of vertigo several years ago and was told to get some. Boy did it do the trick. Good stuff - that is. It's not all that expensive and really works. I don't suffer from "mal de mer" in general but do pack it on the cruises I go on in case someone is in need. Another bonus is that it seems to work while your experiencing the motion sickness so no need to take ahead.

Bonine is actually brand name OTC Meclizine. I was given a prescription for Meclizine when I had vertigo and that is when I realized that it is the same thing as Bonine. I actually like the precription better because they are pills you swallow whole rather than chewing like Bonine. But either one is great.

OP, I feel your pain. I have suffered motion sickness all my life and i have had that "Just kill me now!" feeling a time or two. We just got off the Radiance of the Seas yesterday. My DH has been asking to go on a cruise for the last 30 years and I finally gave in! :D However...I had my sea bands, my ginger chews, my Bonine and my scop patches, just in case. I started the Bonine the night before the cruise. The day of embarkation I put the bands on. I popped a stick of Big Red gum in my mouth and it really helped (weird, right?) I try to stay away from the scop patches unless it's really an emergency. Scopalamine is pretty potent drug and it interacts with a lot of other drugs.

Anyway, I did pretty well. I felt the ship moving pretty much as soon as we left the dock but it didn't bother me much. Our first day at sea was smooth as was the next day, a port day. The third day just about did me in though. We had docked broadside to the tide and we were having 10ft seas, so we were slamming up against the pier and rolling side to side and front to back. Bleah! I was actually glad we were going on an excursion because there was NO WAY I was going to be able to withstand that all day! We got back on about 2 hours before leaving port and that was a bit of a trial for me. I didn't eat much for dinner and all i wanted to do was go to bed. :( After that I was pretty much over the cruise. We still had another sea day and I think if it had gone on much longer i would have just jumped over the rail and made a swim for shore.

I enjoyed our cruise and I think 4-5 days is just about right for me. We had really good weather the whole time and I still felt a little queasy. I shudder to think what it would be like to go through 15-20ft seas. :eek:

I really sympathize with the OP. I have had severe motion sickness all my life but have learned to take meds before the situation that causes it to begin. I also carry phenergen suppositories with me when I travel and as a last resort go with one of those. However, I am knocked out for at least six hours. Even seeing motion from the side of my eye of a car next to me can make me sick.

Funny story - my family was going to a 3-D movie once (this was one filled with motion). Before we left I took Bonine which I carry with me at all times. Husband, daughter, son-in-law and our son laughed at me. Our son-in-law and I were the only ones who didn't get sick at the movie.

For thirty years I wouldn't take a cruise because of motion sickness but I'm getting ready to take my first one. I will have Bonine in my system before I go and hope it does the trick or I may use the patch.

I'm taking ginger, sea bands and a box of the local equivalent of Dramamine.

Wasn't interested in the patches -- that stuff is a hallucinogen! It's what they gave as "twighlight sleep" to women giving birth!

Hope I am good to go -- the only time I got seasick was during a storm at sea in late Sept. going from Naxos to Pireaus on a ferry in the 1970s

I have had motion sickness since 6 months old. Back seat of cars, carnival rides, airplanes, you name it. Took lots of dramamine and bonine on my cruise. Didn't get sick at all, but felt a little "icky" a few times. I ate ginger candy at thoses times. Also wore wrist bands. Maybe was overkill but I was able to enjoy the cruise. The worst thing is the dramamine made me sleeply and i missed a few night things. next time will try a bigger ship and less dramamine.

I also took phenergren with me, but didn't need it.

Anyone considering the scopalmine patch should try it before cruising. I get double vision from it and am glad i wasn't relying on it during my cruise.

For thirty years I wouldn't take a cruise because of motion sickness but I'm getting ready to take my first one. I will have Bonine in my system before I go and hope it does the trick or I may use the patch.

The only problem with using the patch after you're already seasick is that it isn't fast-acting. It usually takes at least 4 hours before it starts to give you any relief. I'm fine with the side effects since I don't get the severe ones some people do so I always cruise with the patch now. I don't want to take a chance, especially since motion sickness is so debilitating for me. I start taking Bonine the day before and put on the patch the morning of embarkation.

The only problem with using the patch after you're already seasick is that it isn't fast-acting. It usually takes at least 4 hours before it starts to give you any relief. I'm fine with the side effects since I don't get the severe ones some people do so I always cruise with the patch now. I don't want to take a chance, especially since motion sickness is so debilitating for me. I start taking Bonine the day before and put on the patch the morning of embarkation.

Yes, I've read that about the patch, that it has to be put on several hours before the cruise. Do you take Bonine and use the patch at the same time for the entire cruise?

A couple years ago I was on a self-driving tour of Ireland (very curvy, narrow roads) and I would take Bonine as soon as I got up in the morning and had no problem at all but I did ride in the front seat the entire trip. Son-in-law drove and my husband and our daughter sat in the back seat. They also took Bonine and for the most part were fine. One day both of them felt a little sick but I think it was because we went too long not eating lunch.

Yes, I've read that about the patch, that it has to be put on several hours before the cruise. Do you take Bonine and use the patch at the same time for the entire cruise?

Yes - I use the Bonine and the patch the whole cruise. I found that combination to be the best, especially when I have to take a tender from the ship. Another interesting thing that I have not tried is acupuncture. My aunt got really seasick on a Mediterranean cruise and nothing helped, not even the patch. She thought she was going to have to leave the cruise until she tried the onboard acupuncture for seasickness and it worked like a charm. She was fine for the rest of the cruise. If I get seasick again, I am going to try it.

Archived