Cunard, What's My AGE Again?

Tess of the Sea

Am I the only one who wishes Cunard would not remind you of you age every other second? Now I know obsession with age seems to be a thing now with corporate America. But it seems so crass to me, and rather rude.

I've traveled quite often with Cunard, but once I reach this next truly distressing age milestone, if they don't stop flashing my age in NEON :eek: lights I won't travel on Cunard anymore.

Once I hit the big blank-0 I don't want ANYBODY advertising it. So Cunard, please be kind and tasteful, and completely FORGET ABOUT our ages! Otherwise bye bye Cunard. Unless changing your age becomes as simple as changing your name, I'm NOT aging beyond blank-9! That's all there is to it!

I think this post needs a bit more explaining.

Neon? Surely not.

David.

Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek. But you age is right up there first and foremost on your booking document, and is always required as an indentifier.

I would just rather forget about it as opposed to having it thrown at me all the time.

It's always:

Your NAME

Your AGE

And this is everywhere of course, but when you travel, at least, you don't want the constant reminder that time is running out.

I'm sure in my parents' day it would have been considered unseemly to constantly broadcast people's ages (especially a woman's age). Even today, in polite society it is considered impolite to ask a woman her age. But corporations (in the US at least) are a different animal.

Edited by Tess of the Sea

Somehow I am missing the gist/jest of this thread.

I am in my dotage and am happier than all getout to be reminded of that. Every possible discount coming my way is welcomed.

I always prefer being seen rather than being viewed.

Hello

I have sailed with Cunard countless times and I have never experienced the line broadcasting the ages of passengers. OP, please tell us what you are talking about! Thanks.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

I agree also. I don't remember my age ever being asked except for the original booking form. :confused:

I imagine it would be a requirement in the medical facility, but I've never been there.

Having just gone into my VP for my next two trips, I can confirm you need to enter DoB to access it.

There are more people now than in our parents era Tess, so any method which differentiates between us, in any activity, is a useful tool.

" ... Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, by their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now". Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde.

(Children often boast about their age ("I'm three and-a-half"), some elderly people also ("I'm eighty-seven you know"). But it seems that some in the middle bit are a little reticent about the truth (and I've no idea why, the number will increase relentlessly, regardless of one's own wishes in the matter)).

If the OP wishes to remain at less than ?0... well good luck with that :) But sadly, in this modern "no-personal-information-is-private" computer filled world, truth will out :( .

Best wishes to all "of a certain age"... :)

" ... Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, by their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now". Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde.

(Children often boast about their age ("I'm three and-a-half"), some elderly people also ("I'm eighty-seven you know"). But it seems that some in the middle bit are a little reticent about the truth (and I've no idea why, the number will increase relentlessly, regardless of one's own wishes in the matter)).

If the OP wishes to remain at less than ?0... well good luck with that :) But sadly, in this modern "no-personal-information-is-private" computer filled world, truth will out :( .

Best wishes to all "of a certain age"... :)

You missed the point of the post of Tess .Your rant is pointless and

And makes no sense

You left you signature , Best wishes

Happy :)

I have no ethical, moral, or security issues about revealing my age to anyone who asks for it, and nor do I have any objection to it being used as a "tie breaker" to identify passengers logging in to the Voyage Personaliser.

However, for the information of any Cunard administrator looking in, is there some particularly cogent reason why we can't simply be permitted to type our year of birth into the box? It now takes me so long to scroll down the list to get to the relevant year that the system times out before I get there :eek::eek:

J

However, for the information of any Cunard administrator looking in, is there some particularly cogent reason why we can't simply be permitted to type our year of birth into the box? It now takes me so long to scroll down the list to get to the relevant year that the system times out before I get there :eek::eek:

J

Typing works fine here.

Don't complain about Cunard : the last time I travelled with Silversea on my onboard-card, under the word "Nationality", they had printed "OLD" (I swear it's true!). I asked to the purser's office if it was a new special-cruiseship nationality!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I believe the reason the Voyage Personaliser asks for your date of birth is not so much to serve as a tie breaker to differentiate between passengers with the same name, but rather as an added security feature. It was likely added as a response to this incident where a spreadsheet containing passenger names and booking reference numbers was inadvertently e-mailed to customers.

Data Protection Issue

Prior this issue, the Voyage Personaliser did not request your date of birth. As I see it, your date of birth is essentially being used as your Voyage Personaliser password.

Regards,

John.

Am I the only one who wishes Cunard would not remind you of you age every other second? Now I know obsession with age seems to be a thing now with corporate America. But it seems so crass to me, and rather rude.

I've traveled quite often with Cunard, but once I reach this next truly distressing age milestone, if they don't stop flashing my age in NEON :eek: lights I won't travel on Cunard anymore.

Once I hit the big blank-0 I don't want ANYBODY advertising it. So Cunard, please be kind and tasteful, and completely FORGET ABOUT our ages! Otherwise bye bye Cunard. Unless changing your age becomes as simple as changing your name, I'm NOT aging beyond blank-9! That's all there is to it!

Wouldn't you rather marvel that people cannot believe you are THAT age...than try and pretend you are forever 10-20 years younger.

I for one have reached the age whereby inbetween the 0 birthdays I sort of forget how old I am, and if asked, have to do maths in my head!!!!!

Think of all the old actresses who keep on going under the knife and looking very very very strange ,as they cannot grow old gracefully.

Helen Mirren is ?? and she looks wonderful.

As has been explained its a security thing..nothing more ,nothing less.

My BIL has just finished work, I said oh good you'll get all the post with the prepaid funeral plans coming through your door now....

I am attending the birthday celebration this evening of one of the most gracious and classy ladies I have ever met. She is hosting her own 90th. She is doing it HER way.

She is my role model.

Be glad we are not required to enter our weight!!!!! That happened to me in Arizona when I took a sightseeing flight over the Canyon. The skinnier women were all in the back and were quite ill. I was in the co-pilot seat as I balanced the weight in the front with the pilot.

There are so many things in life that require angst and irritation. This is not one of them.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Although we all did respond to the need for attention.

J

Agreed, J. It takes longer to log into my voyage personaliser than it does to log into my bank. Then it won't accept my booking number first time it's entered, and I have to do the whole **** thing again. Grrrrr.

The world has gone mad. Isn't saying that a sign of getting old?

Mary

Agreed, J. It takes longer to log into my voyage personaliser than it does to log into my bank. Then it won't accept my booking number first time it's entered, and I have to do the whole **** thing again. Grrrrr.

The world has gone mad. Isn't saying that a sign of getting old?

Mary

Yeah - nearly as sure a sign as having to scroll down through three floors of the building to get to your year of birth !!! :cool:

J