Alaska cruise...

josephml1

For all the alaska cruise experts i need advice...What cruise line is better for an alaska cruise: Between this 3...

Princess

HAL

Celebrity

Please let me know your opinions and why.

Thanks.:)

I have gone to Alaska with two of the three, Joseph (X and Princess). Between those two, I would go with Princess any day, and on any of their itineraries (either northbound/southbound or Seattle RT).

My primary reason for that has nothing to do with the quality of Celebrity's ships or their itinerary, because both are excellent. It has more to do with the fact that I prefer anytime dining and being able to opt out of formal night if I so choose (on Celebrity, if you don't stay dressed in formalwear all night on formal nights, you have to hide in your cabin or somewhere away from the main public rooms), which I usually do.

On Princess, if I get back late from a shore excursion (since I prefer early seating times to later ones when doing traditional dining), I know that I can still eat in a dining room if I choose to, or the buffet or an alternative restaurant if I choose.

Princess has an excellent selection of itineraries, including the 14 day connoiseur (which I highly recommend if you have the time and money), and spends ample port time. The ships are wonderful, and range from the small (on the 14 day) to the mid-sized or mega (on the 7 day itineraries).

And, Princess is considered to be the Alaska expert, having been there longer than anyone else, and having pioneered the cruise tour concept in Alaska.

Joseph:

In order:

1) Princess

2) Hal

3) Celebrity

As Seattle Cruise Lover says Princess has been doing the Alaska cruises for a long time.

Not all cruise lines and ships can access Glacier Bay - which is to me the highlight of any Alaskan cruise. Princess and HAL are regulars into Glacier Bay.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I think it also depends on the itinerary you want, and for Alaska, I would put that first. Also determine if you want to do a one-way or round-trip. Each line "targets" a specific demographic, but Alaskan cruises tend to stray a bit from their normal demos.

I've only cruise Alaska once. I've not been on HAL at all, and my only Princess experience was in the Western Caribbean. Princess was fine, but we did not care for Anytime Dining at all. That being said, the Caribbean is a completely different type of cruise than Alaska. I wouldn't hesitate to do Princess for a port-intensive itinerary like Alaska or the Med. I like the Celebrity product, and would always consider them, but I like to put itinerary first.

And I was on Celebrity Mercury in September and we got very close to Hubbard Glacier. I hear reports that the 2008 season may not be able to get ships very close to Hubbard, which would be a shame.

I haven't sailed Princess and have only been on HAL once.

I have been on Celebrity many times and went to Alaska in May 2006

and had a wonderful cruise:)

We got quite close to the Glacier as well and overall I thought

Alaska was totally majestic. I am looking to go again in the summer

of 2009:)

Quote:

"on Celebrity, if you don't stay dressed in formalwear all night on formal nights, you have to hide in your cabin or somewhere away from the main public rooms), which I usually do."

Hi Karen,:) I have sailed on X 15 times....you don't have to hide

in your cabin.

But as you say, if you prefer anytime dining, Princess would be

a better choice.

Joseph:

In order:

1) Princess

2) Hal

3) Celebrity

As Seattle Cruise Lover says Princess has been doing the Alaska cruises for a long time.

Not all cruise lines and ships can access Glacier Bay - which is to me the highlight of any Alaskan cruise. Princess and HAL are regulars into Glacier Bay.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hello Again Dennis and thank you for taking the time to post in this thread...

What do you thing about NCL on alaska?

I see that you have a coming cruise on the Spirit from NOLA, recently we take that same cruise and had a wonderful time, If you need any input and advice let me know.:)

Hello again Karen and thank you for your comments and advice...We had one excellent experience on Princess Crown and Love this ship... that is why we are considering princess for an Alaska cruise. Also thank you for taking the time to post in this thread as I said before we had an amazing time in Seattle, thank you for the counseling and advice about Seattle.

Carmen also thank you for your comments about the Hubbard Glacier... Do yo know why in the 2008 the ships can not get very close to the glacier?

Also thank you Lois R for your comments and recommendation about celebrity... I found a very good rate for celebrity on a balcony on may. I have Never been in celebrity yet.

I haven't sailed Princess and have only been on HAL once.

I have been on Celebrity many times and went to Alaska in May 2006

and had a wonderful cruise:)

We got quite close to the Glacier as well and overall I thought

Alaska was totally majestic. I am looking to go again in the summer

of 2009:)

Quote:

"on Celebrity, if you don't stay dressed in formalwear all night on formal nights, you have to hide in your cabin or somewhere away from the main public rooms), which I usually do."

Hi Karen,:) I have sailed on X 15 times....you don't have to hide

in your cabin.

But as you say, if you prefer anytime dining, Princess would be

a better choice.

Lois: I've only sailed X once (it was on Inifinity) and we did the first formal night, but chose not to do the second one, and were told in no uncertain terms that we must stay out of the public rooms that evening, so we ate in the buffet and spent the evening in the stateroom. This was in 2004.

I am not sure that there is a whole lot to choose from between those lines and I would choose the itinerary I want first and then choose the ship or line I wanted. I like Princess a great deal but they do not cruise a true Inside Passage route out of Seattle as they sail up the west coast of Vancouver Island. However both Celebrity and HAL do offer true Inside Passage cruises up the east side of Vancouver Island out of Vancouver and a true Inside Passage Cruise does afford the most scenery and the calmest waters.

Carmen also thank you for your comments about the Hubbard Glacier... Do yo know why in the 2008 the ships can not get very close to the glacier?

There is a poster named Yukon (because he lives up in the Yukon) and he posted this link about Hubbard Glacier: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForu...8/1890.htmlfor

Since he lives up there, he hears all the news. The talk is about Hubbard advancing and that would make it where ships couldn't get very close. He hangs out on the Alaska board, and that is a fantastic place to get Alaska advice as well.

As far as the formal night dress, I've not been on Celebrity as much as Lois, but we've never been told that we had to stay out of public areas if we weren't formally dressed on those nights. Now, we always dress formally for the dining room on those prescribed nights, but we usually change clothes after dinner (and when DS does to go back to the Fun Factory). DH may stay in the cabin to read (his choice, but I'm always roaming. I don't go hang out in the areas where the formal portraits are being taken and stuff, but I find plenty to do and have not eve been told to leave an area (and that includes the theater).

• Administrators
Any other opinions about HAL on Alaska?

Since nobody has mentioned it, I'll add that there is an Alaska Ports of Call board here at Cruise Critic -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 -- where discussions about various cruiseline itineraries, amenities, etc. for Alaska take place frequently. There are several such threads on the first page of that forum at the moment.

You might want to take a look there for more information, as not all Alaska cruisers visit this broad (particularly those who have already finished their cruises and aren't looking for hotel or transportation information for their departure port).

Have fun planning your cruise!

Any other opinions about HAL on Alaska?

I took Mom on the HAL Noordam last year and we loved the trip. But I would also ask what you want/like on cruises besides the itinerary. While HAL was wonderful it's very true that they tend to shut the ship down after 9pm! So if you aren't a night-owl you should love it, but if you like a few more late night options NCL or Princess may be better for you. You can see out Alaska pics at the link below.

I have done all three of the lines you mentioned to Alaska out of Seattle (as well as NCL). I would rank them in this order:

Hal, Princess, Celebrity, NCL.

Don't know what Alaska itinerary or departure port you are looking at, but my experience is all out of Seattle so here goes...

I prefer the slightly smaller size of the HAL Vista ships compared to the Grand class ships Princess has sailing out of Seattle. Also, HAL's itineraries out of Seattle included either Hubbard or Glacier Bay while Princess only goes to Tracy Arm out of Seattle. Tracy Arm is OK, but nothing compared to the other Glacier options. Also, HAL goes to Sitka out of Seattle while Princess goes to Skagway. Skagway is overrun with cruise ships while Sitka is a more authentic Alaska experience (IMHO).

Our Celebrity experience was fine, but it was on the Mercury which was kind of a dog of a ship. This year they do have a Millennium class ship out of Seattle which would make X a more attractive option to me. They are also going to Sitka and Hubbard out of Seattle so I like the itinerary as well.

Joseph - I did see your posts on the Spirit out of New Orleans - the one difference on my trip is that we are scheduled to go to Costa Maya rather than Roatan.

As for Alaska - I have done it twice by cruise ship - Princess and NCL - I liked the Princess one better because it took in Glacier Bay and Sitka - the Sawyer glacier on NCL is spotty depending on ice flow as to how close you can get to the Glacier - I would second the comment that Sitka is much better than Skagway - remember you can drive to Skagway from Canada so it can been seen other than from a cruise ship.

You generally stay more on the inside of the Inside Passage if you sail from Vancouver as it is a shorter trip although with the bigger ships now sailing from Seattle this is less of an issue.

Hubbard Glacier I have not been too - will probably attempt that on my next Alaska cruise - as has been posted it also depends on the what the Glacier is doing

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

quote by c-cruise:

"Our Celebrity experience was fine, but it was on the Mercury which was kind of a dog of a ship."

Hi:) I respectfully disagree. I have sailed Mercury 5 times

and think she is lovely. I am sailing her again in October and

cannot wait.:D

To the OP, as you can see, we all have different preferences

for sailing to Alaska.

quote by c-cruise:

"Our Celebrity experience was fine, but it was on the Mercury which was kind of a dog of a ship."

Hi:) I respectfully disagree. I have sailed Mercury 5 times

and think she is lovely. I am sailing her again in October and

cannot wait.:D

I have to agree with Lois R. Mercury has a very large group of loyal fans who cruise on her time and time again. Yes she is one of the older ships, but she is very well maintained and has a scale and grace about her that many prefer over the mega ship hotels. DW and I would not hesitate for a moment to sail on her again.

I took Mom on the HAL Noordam last year and we loved the trip. But I would also ask what you want/like on cruises besides the itinerary. While HAL was wonderful it's very true that they tend to shut the ship down after 9pm! So if you aren't a night-owl you should love it, but if you like a few more late night options NCL or Princess may be better for you. You can see out Alaska pics at the link below.

Well I heard very good comments about HAL... The hot chocolate on alaska cruise, the afternoon high tea that sound very good.

Thank you for your opinion.

Joseph - I did see your posts on the Spirit out of New Orleans - the one difference on my trip is that we are scheduled to go to Costa Maya rather than Roatan.

As for Alaska - I have done it twice by cruise ship - Princess and NCL - I liked the Princess one better because it took in Glacier Bay and Sitka - the Sawyer glacier on NCL is spotty depending on ice flow as to how close you can get to the Glacier - I would second the comment that Sitka is much better than Skagway - remember you can drive to Skagway from Canada so it can been seen other than from a cruise ship.

You generally stay more on the inside of the Inside Passage if you sail from Vancouver as it is a shorter trip although with the bigger ships now sailing from Seattle this is less of an issue.

Hubbard Glacier I have not been too - will probably attempt that on my next Alaska cruise - as has been posted it also depends on the what the Glacier is doing

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

About your future cruise NCL spirit we also know very well costa maya amazing and very calm place... If you need any advice let me know.

Also thanks about your comments about alaska.:)

We've done 5 Alaskan cruises, all on HAL. Not having checked Princess' itineraries lately, I would choose HAL or Princess. These are the 2 lines that have been sailing the Alaskan cruises for over 20 years. One of the BIG reasons we prefer HAL is the amount of open deck space for viewing. I've seen many, many post saying not to do the Alaskan cruises unless you have a private balcony. On two of our cruises we did (due to 'family' reasons). We simply didn't use them. The scenery is ALL around the ship. We felt very limited by what happened to be on 'our' side. With the amount of open decks on the HAL ships (and fewer passengers), we were free to wander port to starboard, aft to bow depending upon our whims, without fear of being able to find prime viewing access.

The reason Princess' itinerary could come into play is that we strongly prefer the Vancouver sailings and I don't know what they are currently offering. As mentioned earlier, the scenery is SO much better sailing to/from Vancouver than Seattle. We did the Seattle itinerary once (again due to 'family' :rolleyes: - I'm originally from there and the rest is still there). The first and last days (on the Seattle round trip) is spent at sea. Water is water. We could have been almost anywhere in the world and still had the same views - water. Not why we're taking an Alaskan cruise. :rolleyes:

Now, that said, there could be extremely important reasons to sail from Seattle rather than Vancouver. If anyone sailing with you has had a 'run in' with the law in the past (i.e. DUI), they could be denied entry into Canada.

The Alaskan season on HAL is very family oriented. There are children's programs. While I don't have experience with it myself, I've read a number of posts where parents have said their children preferred 'Club HAL' as there were fewer children. They received more attention as one of under 100 children, rather than one of a few/several 100s.

We've done 5 Alaskan cruises, all on HAL. Not having checked Princess' itineraries lately, I would choose HAL or Princess. These are the 2 lines that have been sailing the Alaskan cruises for over 20 years. One of the BIG reasons we prefer HAL is the amount of open deck space for viewing. I've seen many, many post saying not to do the Alaskan cruises unless you have a private balcony. On two of our cruises we did (due to 'family' reasons). We simply didn't use them. The scenery is ALL around the ship. We felt very limited by what happened to be on 'our' side. With the amount of open decks on the HAL ships (and fewer passengers), we were free to wander port to starboard, aft to bow depending upon our whims, without fear of being able to find prime viewing access.

The reason Princess' itinerary could come into play is that we strongly prefer the Vancouver sailings and I don't know what they are currently offering. As mentioned earlier, the scenery is SO much better sailing to/from Vancouver than Seattle. We did the Seattle itinerary once (again due to 'family' :rolleyes: - I'm originally from there and the rest is still there). The first and last days (on the Seattle round trip) is spent at sea. Water is water. We could have been almost anywhere in the world and still had the same views - water. Not why we're taking an Alaskan cruise. :rolleyes:

Now, that said, there could be extremely important reasons to sail from Seattle rather than Vancouver. If anyone sailing with you has had a 'run in' with the law in the past (i.e. DUI), they could be denied entry into Canada.

The Alaskan season on HAL is very family oriented. There are children's programs. While I don't have experience with it myself, I've read a number of posts where parents have said their children preferred 'Club HAL' as there were fewer children. They received more attention as one of under 100 children, rather than one of a few/several 100s.

I was just thinking the other day about all the people who insist on getting a balcony for an Alaskan cruise...whether they're missing out on all the action. We had an inside cabin on the Sapphire Princess, hubby got us up really early on the glacier cruising day and we went up to an outside deck while the naturalist onboard narrated what we were seeing, even pointing out a bear cavorting on a beach.

We haven't been on Hal or Celebrity, but we really like Princess. Just feels like a fit for our family. My girl just turned 7 (our waiter brought out a really rich little cake for the occasion, free on Princess) and there were itinerary-specific activities for the kids.

We sailed out of Seattle because we weren't interested in doing any cruise tours (we took Amtrak up and down the West Coast so that ate up time).

quote:

"I was just thinking the other day about all the people who insist on getting a balcony for an Alaskan cruise...whether they're missing out on all the action. We had an inside cabin on the Sapphire Princess, hubby got us up really early on the glacier cruising day and we went up to an outside deck while the naturalist onboard narrated what we were seeing, even pointing out a bear cavorting on a beach."

Hi:)

Thanks for posting that because many of us cannot

afford a balcony. Did I have any less of a wonderful time?

Nope:D....my cabin was one deck down from the lido so I did

what your hubby did....got up early and popped right upstairs

and was outside.

I had a great cabin location too...it was very close to the

door leading outside as well.

I also chose to sail out of Seattle and had a fabulous visit:)

Why do you prefer HAL for an Alaska cruise...?
As I mentioned above:
One of the BIG reasons we prefer HAL is the amount of open deck space for viewing.
Other cruise lines tend not to have as much - concentrating on balconies. There is a the teak-decked wrap around Lower Promenade, the bow is accessible, and other decks with open, public space facing the bow. HAL also has the wonderful Crow's Nest lounge right above the Bridge for great viewing. Nice, roomy cabins. The Indonesian/Filipino crew is outstanding.....

The reason we've decided against Princess in the past is the lack of open deck space and no lounge viewing area similar to the Crow's Nest. I haven't looked lately at their current ships in Alaska. They may have a lounge in that area.

We didn't have a 'bad' cruise sailing from Seattle. It was just that since we'd done the Vancouver sailing in the past, we knew what wonderful scenery we were missing. Also, in case the Pacific is 'bumpy' (and we've had 40-ft seas coming out of Sitka) it will be much smoother on the Vancouver itineraries.

Archived