Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

How's everyone else doing - still too hot???

Where I live; a small town about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles it's over 100 today and just stifling!

Horton and I went out to the bank and to the grocery store and I have to tell you.....manuevering a 90lb dog over scorching/black asphalt is not fun [for either of us!]

He normally likes to procrastinate when entering my car...by sniffing and looking and sniffing some more but, boy, if you could see him climb up into my car just to get his paws off the molten-lava, tar-like parking lots, you'd die laughing! I know, I know it's not funny but there's not much choice in parking spaces in the big city and we both do a mighty hearty dance step to get off the stuff!!!!!

You'd think that city fathers would have been more thoughtful about what substance they laid-down to refinish a parking lot, located in the San Fernando Valley [which is the desert of L.A.!] Costs, it's all about the cost! Tar is cheaper than cement!

Roz,

RCCL sent me a very generic one page form saying my dog will not sit on furniture, eat from the table, etc. That's no problem..he doesn't do those things. RCCL never specified what documentation they accept. When I took my service dog on Carnival, the required paperwork was outlined in detail.

Also, if I do not plan to get off the ship in Cozumel, does the gov't in Mexico need any documentation? Thanks

Hi guys, i know i haven't. been speaking on the boards but i lurk almost every day.i'm writing today to ask all of you to take a moment and say a prayer for my David. He has been in the hospital for over a week with a high fever. 104.6. when i finally got him to go to the hospital! They have tested him inside and outsid and everywhere onthe inside. The doctors just can't seem to find the answer. I would so appreciate it you would think of him and maybe say a prayer. I love him so and miss him terribly.:(

Hi guys' date=' i know i haven't. been speaking on the boards but i lurk almost every day.i'm writing today to ask all of you to take a moment and say a prayer for my David. He has been in the hospital for over a week with a high fever. 104.6. when i finally got him to go to the hospital! They have tested him inside and outsid and everywhere onthe inside. The doctors just can't seem to find the answer. I would so appreciate it you would think of him and maybe say a prayer. I love him so and miss him terribly.:([b']

[/b]

So sorry to read your news of your David - just had a "wee word" and asked the angels to look after him, and you! Hope bonny Bella has been looking after her Mum with lots of puppy hugs and kisses too. :).

Where I live; a small town about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles it's over 100 today and just stifling!

Horton and I went out to the bank and to the grocery store and I have to tell you.....manuevering a 90lb dog over scorching/black asphalt is not fun [for either of us!]

He normally likes to procrastinate when entering my car...by sniffing and looking and sniffing some more but, boy, if you could see him climb up into my car just to get his paws off the molten-lava, tar-like parking lots, you'd die laughing! I know, I know it's not funny but there's not much choice in parking spaces in the big city and we both do a mighty hearty dance step to get off the stuff!!!!!

You'd think that city fathers would have been more thoughtful about what substance they laid-down to refinish a parking lot, located in the San Fernando Valley [which is the desert of L.A.!] Costs, it's all about the cost! Tar is cheaper than cement!

Goodness me, I was complaining yesterday when we hit "highs" of 77F! LOL! Poor Horty, it must be tough being a black dog in that heat. Our two have been seeking out dappled shade in the garden, followed closely by their Mum! :eek::D

I imagine Brenda is being very sensible staying in the A/C! :)

We are back!! What a fantastic cruise!! As usual, Orson was the hit of the ship. We had remarkable weather. It rained the day we cruised through Tracy Arm to the glacier but then we had the rest of the week sunny. I stink at trip reports so if anyone has any questions, fire away. Right now I'm trying to un-bury my desk here at work.

We are back!! What a fantastic cruise!! As usual, Orson was the hit of the ship. We had remarkable weather. It rained the day we cruised through Tracy Arm to the glacier but then we had the rest of the week sunny. I stink at trip reports so if anyone has any questions, fire away. Right now I'm trying to un-bury my desk here at work.

Welcome back! :D glad you had a great time - Alaska is just fabulous! We have heard tiny bits and pieces about the cruise from another source of course!!! Glad you guys were able to meet up - small world eh! Well done Orsen you are a star! It's a bummer to be back at work though! :eek:

RCCL sent me a one page form stating sign the acknowledgment and bring the form and required documents to the pier. The form never mentioned what types of documents are required.

These "documents" are the forms that I mention on another post. And, can be gotten from your Vet.

The generic form that they sent is just your promise that your dog won't destroy their ship!!!!

Hi guys' date=' i know i haven't. been speaking on the boards but i lurk almost every day.i'm writing today to ask all of you to take a moment and say a prayer for my David. He has been in the hospital for over a week with a high fever. 104.6. when i finally got him to go to the hospital! They have tested him inside and outsid and everywhere onthe inside. The doctors just can't seem to find the answer. I would so appreciate it you would think of him and maybe say a prayer. I love him so and miss him terribly.:(

[/quote']

Barbara, David is in my prayers and thoughts. You must be so scared. Please know that I'm sending you and David my very best "get well soon" wishes.

It is so difficult to watch someone we love be ill and especially frustrating when no one knows what's wrong with him. Hopefully, the doctor's will get to the bottom of what is causing his fever and he can start to heal.

I'm thinking of you and sending my warmest, healing love,

Roz

Goodness me, I was complaining yesterday when we hit "highs" of 77F! LOL! Poor Horty, it must be tough being a black dog in that heat. Our two have been seeking out dappled shade in the garden, followed closely by their Mum! :eek::D

I imagine Brenda is being very sensible staying in the A/C! :)

Brenda stays up on her couch in a cool 72 degrees. Just when I think I'm going to feel guilty about leaving her at home.....I consider the heat and now humidity that we're getting and I don't feel guilty anymore!!!!

Today we're getting the monsoon weather which is coming from Arizona.....I actually had sprinkles on my windshield this morning!

Welcome home! I'm glad you had a great cruise, isn't Alaska beautiful!

Isn't getting back into the "groove" the pits!

Between the two flights, the night at the hotel and the ship, nobody ever asked us for any of our paperwork concerning Orson. But we always make sure we have it.

When I was pushing Morey in a wheelchair and either Brenda or Horton was with us I rarely, if ever got questioned about the dogs paperwork. But, when I'm alone with my dog the questions and requests can be ridiculous!!! Talk about reverse discrimination!

As long as the "public" sees that you're not in a wheelchair and you're not blind....there can be NO OTHER REASON for you to have a Service Dog accompany you!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sorry if this is too big but I just had to share Orson's picture with his new Tux.

MickeyampOrson.jpg

Oh! Orson! You are so, so handsome in your tux....of course, the fact that you look like your petrified of that huge vermin holding on to you doesn't count!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Orson is not a big fan of the characters. :eek:

It just amazes me how much stamina these dogs have for EVERYTHING! Orson could easily eat the face off that mouse but he just sits by and lets everyone take his picture while inside he's turned to jello!!!!

I truly adore you Orson!

In order for you to get your Service Dog onboard a cruise ship the above will be required from your Vet. [as far as the vaccinations are concerned, at the least]. I hope the ship asks for some sort of accredidation about your dogs training and city licensing.

I want to see the cruiselines being strict and restrictive to those that may try to bring their pets onboard.

I've read a few of your posts. In some instances you come across as an angry woman and your information above is misleading to others. FYI...service dogs do not have to be accredidated or licensed. My dog came from a program but there are many owner trained dogs in the country. The person has disability as defined under the ADA and the dog is trained to perform a task(s).

Also, in Fl many counties waive the license for service dogs.

I've read a few of your posts. In some instances you come across as an angry woman and your information above is misleading to others. FYI...service dogs do not have to be accredidated or licensed. My dog came from a program but there are many owner trained dogs in the country. The person has disability as defined under the ADA and the dog is trained to perform a task(s).

Tee, seriously????? I can get very angry when I'm onboard a cruise and a snippy, barking, lunging dog is trying to attack my Service Dog. And, the handler is trying to convince everyone around us that her dog is a "Service Dog, self trained!"

Which county in Florida waives the Service Dog license, if the "Service Dog" is used to mitigate a problem for its handler and is being brought into a public place?

And, which "program" are you speaking of that will not supply the handler with some sort of proof of training?

I'm not angry, not much!!!!!!! :mad:

For what it's worth, I, too read Roz's posts and I have never thought she came across as an "angry woman"! Passionate, YES! informative, YES! Especially about her beloved service dogs, and I don't just mean her own dogs, but any service/assistance dogs and their peeps!

Having learnt so much from this thread, if I ever had a service dog, I would be well informed on what was expected when I went on a cruise, thanks not only to Roz, but to many others on here who also offer advice and help.

I share her views by the way, that people should not be trying to pass off non-service/assistance dogs as that totally demeans all the hard work people like Diana, Roz, John, and others do to educate people like me who do not have a service dog. I am not saying this is what you are doing, or even suggesting it. :) When we put our two into their "hotel" when we go away, we have paperwork to complete and they need to have their vaccinations, flea treatments, kennel cough, etc. etc., all up to date before they even step one paw into that kennel.

Have you watched the YOutube presentation by Diana (and Gibson)? I am sure if anyone who cheated in bringing a pet on board a cruise ship masquerading as a service/assistance dog, would surely be ashamed of themselves if they listened to this young woman explain just how much Gibson means to her and what they BOTH had to do to have that wonderful partnership today that quite clearly means the world to her.

No wonder Roz is passionate about protecting all that work.

I wish you well and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise to Mexico. :)

Sorry if this is too big but I just had to share Orson's picture with his new Tux.

MickeyampOrson.jpg

Aaah poor Orsen - I rather like his tux - handsome boy - but he does have that forlorn well practised Labrador look "just look will you at what they have done to me now!" LOL!

For what it's worth, I, too read Roz's posts and I have never thought she came across as an "angry woman"! Passionate, YES! informative, YES! Especially about her beloved service dogs, and I don't just mean her own dogs, but any service/assistance dogs and their peeps!

Having learnt so much from this thread, if I ever had a service dog, I would be well informed on what was expected when I went on a cruise, thanks not only to Roz, but to many others on here who also offer advice and help.

I share her views by the way, that people should not be trying to pass off non-service/assistance dogs as that totally demeans all the hard work people like Diana, Roz, John, and others do to educate people like me who do not have a service dog. I am not saying this is what you are doing, or even suggesting it. :) When we put our two into their "hotel" when we go away, we have paperwork to complete and they need to have their vaccinations, flea treatments, kennel cough, etc. etc., all up to date before they even step one paw into that kennel.

Have you watched the YOutube presentation by Diana (and Gibson)? I am sure if anyone who cheated in bringing a pet on board a cruise ship masquerading as a service/assistance dog, would surely be ashamed of themselves if they listened to this young woman explain just how much Gibson means to her and what they BOTH had to do to have that wonderful partnership today that quite clearly means the world to her.

No wonder Roz is passionate about protecting all that work.

I wish you well and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise to Mexico. :)

Awwww! Thanks! I do get a bit "passionate" about my dogs [not unlike you!]

I've said it before on this thread and I'll say it again......Brenda brought me out of the darkness and showed me how to live a complete and happy life...even so much as going on a cruise ship, keeping a job, loving and most importantly; wanting to live life again!

I will protect and defend my Service Dogs until the day I die!!!

Again, thank you for your support and love to all of us....it makes a world of difference when folks like "YOU" are behind us!!!! We are lucky enough to meet some onboard cruise ships and that makes the cruising experience that much better! :) ;)

Barbara, please come in and tell us how David is doing. My prayers are with him and you.

Sunshine, I hope that Rich is doing well and that your both enjoying the summer with your children. I think about you both, often.

Cari, how's Denver's retirement? I heard he fell in the swimming pool and had to be rescued because he couldn't move his hips fast enough to swim out himself. Scared the bejeebers out of me. How's your new SED [seeing Eye Dog] doing?

Well, I am glad I popped in here.

Tee: Typing on a computer can be difficult to "read" a persons true meaning. Roz is the most kind, loving, informative person there is. She can get to the point in some situations that may make you think she is acting like an "Angry Woman", but she is far from it. You obviously haven't read any of my sarcasm. As far as service dogs go, which I do not have one, but stumbled upon this thread when our beloved yellow Labrador was still alive. Roz takes everyone that comes onto this thread under her wings and tries to educate them as much as possible about service dogs and the ADA. She can probably tell us it verbatim! I am sorry you have gotten the wrong impression about Roz, but please try and she her true colors! That would be the tall Blonde with big hair and a big Black Labrador beside her. :o