Flood on the Epic.

don1976

I'm not how often things like this happen but there was a flood that ended up flooding out 4 staterooms last night. One family I was speaking to thought the ship was sinking when they found themselves in 3" of water in the middle of the night.

It turned out to be a burst pipe from the service compartment behind the shower, and certainly caused a lot of commotion.

How often does this sort of thing happen?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Last year, a co-worker of mine and his wife went on their first cruise with Carnival. They had the exact same thing happen, except Carnival wouldn't move them to another cabin. He said it was a nightmare and they weren't sure if they would ever cruise again, but if they did, it wouldn't be on Carnival.

Edited by jennmaybe

Like any plumbing issue at home, it can happen.

Happened to some friends on a Jewel cruise. Hotel Director moved them into a different cabin and gave them some OBC.

Yes, but you can be sensible about what you throw down the toilet at home and it's not a pressure fed system with small waste pipes.

When someone shoves paper towels, and who knows what else, down them; they block. The blockages can take some time to have an effect, and can take down the whole section.

Thin toilet paper, water and urmmm .. yeah that ... only!

Yes, but you can be sensible about what you throw down the toilet at home and it's not a pressure fed system with small waste pipes.

When someone shoves paper towels, and who knows what else, down them; they block. The blockages can take some time to have an effect, and can take down the whole section.

The ship actually has a vacuum system. Yeah, I'm that guy. ;)

Not sure where this comes from, the problem had nothing to do with the toilet system, but with the potable water system. Ship's piping is subject to vibration, so it can fail unexpectedly. Older ships will naturally have more of these problems.

It can also happen when someone decides to use the sprinkler head as a place to put a hanger.

Very true but if indeed it was caused by a broken pipe no matter how careful guest are stuff happens.