Any one just off the Gem?

letsgocruisin

I'm not just off the Gem (I'll be on her in 4 weeks), but this article explains what's being done. They're moving Moderno from deck 8 to be next to Cagney's and combining the former Moderno and Blue Lagoon and converting the space to become O'Sheehan's. Also installing exhaust scrubbers but that's unlikely to be noticed by passengers.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-gem-will-gain-new-features-scrubbers-while-in-service-not-in-dock.html

When we were on October 18-27 the rock climbing wall and some other areas on the sports deck...might have been one of the golf areas was closed because they were installing scrubbers (to make fore cleaner exhaust).......hubby was disappointed in no rock climbing, but the ship was awesome, the crew was awesome, and the cruise was our best so far!

We are leaving on Sunday 3rd time on the Gem and we booked a cabin on 8....they called us two weeks ago and moved us to 9 said construction was going on in Moderno. Got an upgade to a balcony we were happy...just hope Blue lagoon is still open...let you know when we return.;)

We are sailing on the Gem on 12/1 and we found out through the pre-cruise concierge (we are in a suite) that the construction should be done by 11/22 to move Moderno and replace Blue Lagoon with O'Sheehans. Didn't ask about the rock climbing wall but this is the construction talked about the article njhorseman provided.

We are sailing on the Gem on 12/1 and we found out through the pre-cruise concierge (we are in a suite) that the construction should be done by 11/22 to move Moderno and replace Blue Lagoon with O'Sheehans. Didn't ask about the rock climbing wall but this is the construction talked about the article njhorseman provided.

Hi, any new information regarding changing of carpets? In the rooms or main areas? Someone mentioned they were also working on that, but ????

Thanks. We're on board with you....

Hi, any new information regarding changing of carpets? In the rooms or main areas? Someone mentioned they were also working on that, but ????

Thanks. We're on board with you....

They continually replace carpeting the public areas...drydock scheduled or not. We've seen every square inch of carpeting in the Gem's buffet replaced in one night between closing after dinner and breakfast the next morning. Replacing carpet in cabins is more problematic for obvious reasons.

@ Coka.....I know what you mean. I kinda wish I had known before booking that Moderno(and the rock climbing wall??) was going to be closed and that there would be that kind of construction on board. I got a great deal on the cabin, so I'm sure I would have booked anyway, but I really wish I had known beforehand. I just read about this here this week and I'm a tad bit disappointed. Won't let it bother me for long, but wonder why we couldn't have been told ahead of time.

Just stepped of the Gem this morning....Didnt notice alot of "construction" going

on the entire time we were on, and we were on for 11 days. All the dining rooms were open including the ones everyone is talking about moving....just basic maintance thats all....:D

So the Moderno hasn't moved and Blue Lagoon still exists? I hope they do this change by the time I go (Dec 13).

correct. both are still there as of this morning when I left.

and I think it'll still be there till Nov 2015 when the gem goes into drydock.

they were suppose to goto Drydock in nov 2014 but for some reason it got pushed back a year. I'm curious as to why. :confused:

that's why cruises on the Gem for this month is soooooooo cheap.

(6day gem to Bahamas this sun is still being listed as $179 as of this afternoon. :eek: )

they were suppose to goto Drydock in nov 2014 but for some reason it got pushed back a year. I'm curious as to why. :confused:

(6day gem to Bahamas this sun is still being listed as $179 as of this afternoon. :eek: )

Darn! I wanted O'Sheehans :(

Oh well, it's almost like the Blue Lagoon.

Interesting that they moved the remodeling back a year. Thanks for letting us all know.

Yes, I saw that cruise! I totally would go, too bad I have college to attend to. :P

Darn! I wanted O'Sheehans :(

Oh well, it's almost like the Blue Lagoon.

Interesting that they moved the remodeling back a year. Thanks for letting us all know.

Yes, I saw that cruise! I totally would go, too bad I have college to attend to. :P

No...the work is being done this week without the ship going into drydock. Someone on our roll call for the Gem 12/1 cruise has spoken to Gem HD Jenny Lim who confirmed that Moderno will be moved and the former Blue Lagoon and Moderno space on deck 8 will be converted to O'Sheehan's as the ship is in use over the next two weeks or so...with Moderno expected to be open in its new location by the Nov. 22nd cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

No...the work is being done this week without the ship going into drydock. Someone on our roll call for the Gem 12/1 cruise has spoken to Gem HD Jenny Lim who confirmed that Moderno will be moved and the former Blue Lagoon and Moderno space on deck 8 will be converted to O'Sheehan's as the ship is in use over the next two weeks or so...with Moderno expected to be open in its new location by the Nov. 22nd cruise.

Thank you for the clarification! I am glad this is the case! :)

whoah.. they're doing it as they cruise?!

I thinking about the inconvience to passengers.

I really don't think it is fair that they are working on the ship while we are sailing..I know they always have some things to do but to take away a restaurant that people enjoy going to is not fair..I think NCL should give the passengers something to make up for not having the Blue Lagoon while they are on the ship..They advertise this restaurant when we booked the cruise and now it won't be available..It just isn't fair..Who knows what else won't be available when we board next Saturday..Also will there be a lot of noise from the renovations? Just had to let everybody know how I feel..I will still enjoy our cruise but as you can tell I am annoyed..Thank you for listening..