Back from American Table

shredie

Looks like they are trying variations on the different ships, then looking at the feedback and staffing issues --tablecloths v bare tables and weight of the shared dishes. Waiters are only allowed 12 plates an their trays. There might be a weight to plate issue going on with the shared dishes.

In December we were at a large company dinner dance. We were seated with people we kind of knew.

The whole meal was served in passed dishes.

Wasn't necessarily easier on the waitstaff as we had 10 dishes on our 10 top.

I really don't see how this menu is "confusing". It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the computer it's not so confusing.

In person the menu is 24wide by 30tall (though it might be 18x24).

It's physical size makes it so that the entire menu is not easily read.

Then another issue is that the menu is one flat board, it doesn't fold like other menus. No place on the table to place it after you've decided.

I like the idea of having the bread basket and water pitcher at the table. Sometimes I'd be hankering for another roll or really thirsty and it would take awhile to flag down the waiter with the rolls/water. We'll see how the food is on my Freedom repo cruise! Maybe by then all the kinks will be worked out. ;)

Did this update bring the creme brûlée back?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few weeks back JH posted on his Facebook that the Beards had listened and they would add back in the Creme brûlée and grand mariner soufflé (still no B&B though). I'm trying to find out if this is being done yet since we leave next weekend on Liberty.

JH recently posted the soups would be added back in immediately, so hope this applies to desserts.

I will be sure to post a review when I get back and try to remember to take photos of the menus.

On the computer it's not so confusing.

In person the menu is 24wide by 30tall (though it might be 18x24).

It's physical size makes it so that the entire menu is not easily read.

Then another issue is that the menu is one flat board, it doesn't fold like other menus. No place on the table to place it after you've decided.

Thank you for your input. I am happy for an opinion from someone else who has actually seen the menu on a real cruise. (It's about impossible to express an opinion on this board without being attacked.)

Why did they get rid of hamburgers and fried chicken as an everyday option? If I don't like the entrees of the day I don't want my only options to be a dried out piece of meat.

It is on the children's menu.

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

Yea but when you go with your family to a restaurant and food is served for the table, you are not seated with strangers.

We don't do buffets because we see too many people sneezing on utensils, wiping their noses and then touching the handle of the ladle or fork for the food on the buffet and grabbing with their hands. I don't consider myself to be a germaphobe, but I would prefer to either handle my food myself or let the kitchen/wait staff do it with sanitary precautions.

We only sat at a shared table once on a cruise and that was enough for us. We always ask for a private table, no matter which meal. I don't want a stranger coughing or sneezing all around my food.

I do not have an issue with the sharing part, as on every ship I have been on, the salt and pepper and ketchup and mustard have been shared by everyone, so if there are germs, they are on those items, and I have never had an issue using them. Maybe the people that dont like sharing dont use these items that are shared, but when I see people on cruises, it seems to me they use them alot...

A few weeks back JH posted on his Facebook that the Beards had listened and they would add back in the Creme brûlée and grand mariner soufflé (still no B&B though). I'm trying to find out if this is being done yet since we leave next weekend on Liberty.

JH recently posted the soups would be added back in immediately, so hope this applies to desserts.

I will be sure to post a review when I get back and try to remember to take photos of the menus.

JH actually answered a question today stating that Bitter & Blanc is back on the Liberty and Glory menus.

YES! YES! YES! Just in time for next weekend!

I feel like Sally/Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, you know, the Diner scene.:)

:D I hope it's true and you aren't disappointed. You know sometimes he is misinformed, but that is what he stated.

:D I hope it's true and you aren't disappointed. You know sometimes he is misinformed, but that is what he stated.

I hope it's accurate too. We almost changed ships in January because we were disappointed with the way the new menu looked. Only thing that kept us is I love Liberty and we wanted to go out of Port Canaveral so we could drive this time.

On every cruise I have witnessed other guests being complete pigs with regard to their table manners. I don't want someone pawing through the basket of breads because they don't have brains enough to use the tongs. I don't want the guy next to me taking 3 times the amount he should be serving to himself, leaving little or none for the rest of the table. And I don't want to handle the utensils after watching the guest next to me wipe his nose or lick his fingers.

I think it was really meant to help the waiters streamline so aspects of service and also reduce the amount of waste when people order multiple entrees but don't want all the extra sides. Or in my case wanting extra veggies but not an additional entrée.

I agree with you. I don't mind sharing with my family of course. But strangers? No thanks. And I love love love the idea of picking my own sides. It adds some variety and personalization to it IMO.

I hope Carnival has fired the consultants they hired for this brilliant change.

It looks like every item that they took away has been brought back so what did Carnival really get for their money.

It looks to me like they got the tablecloths removed, every piece of food now gets its own plate, their customers are more confused and the servers have to work harder to explain the changes.

Not a very good ROI in my mind.

I agree with you. I don't mind sharing with my family of course. But strangers? No thanks. And I love love love the idea of picking my own sides. It adds some variety and personalization to it IMO.

I also like the idea of choosing my own sides. On our Hawaii cruise, I ended up ordering a side of steamed veggies most nights because the veggies that came with the meals were usually either almost non existent, or just plain weird.

As I said earlier, I had the new menu on the roll out cruise of Glory. The water and bread being on the table threw us off. Nothing was explained. Now of course we understand and appreciate helping ourselves. The menu was quite small and I was able to bring my first with me. The menu tells a story, in how its arranged. I like it. You definitely have to check the whole thing out. Each night we had a different size card, bigger than first night. We only shared once, didn't care for the calamari, but we're none of us huge fans to begin with. Wanted to try flatbread, but they missed bringing. The menu is not the problem, nor the foods offered, esp now as many soup and dessert favorites are added back in. It's preparation. If it's new, and should taste great but it's tuff, or not flavorful it's the chefs fault, not the menu. Things were confusing for the staff and things seem to take forever. Having said I'm disappointed, it was in quality, not type. I want to give them another chance, hoping practice makes perfect. And I might add, the odd thing on menu(can't remember what it's called) was the best thing all week. A vegetable puff pastry of some kind. Absolutely superb!!

And I also like the port pairings. I do think they should be at the top though, they're easy to miss.

As for the short wine list, I believe those have been chosen as pairings for that nights menu options. Once you've found nothing there you may go to the bigger one.

I would not share with strangers either. But I would just say no thank you.

And for Mother's Day, on your next cruise take one of those little Jell-O shot or condiment cups with you with peanut butter. Take into the MDR and stir a little into the warm melting cake. Yum.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App