When to call upsell?

danp2482

Hi everyone! I am sure this is asked 10 times over on CC but how far out is the best time to call upsell for the getaway? What are some opinions and success stories from everyone? Thanks for the help!

If only there was a search function...

Largely people say to call a couple weeks out from cruise and again the week of. Some report success calling earlier. Don't call every day the month leading up to cruise, those people are *******s.

Hi everyone! I am sure this is asked 10 times over on CC but how far out is the best time to call upsell for the getaway? What are some opinions and success stories from everyone? Thanks for the help!

I called the first time six weeks before my cruise, I was told to try back the next week. I did, still nothing, then at just about 30 days I received an upsell email.

Our sailing is May 8th and this week I've received 2 up-sell offers by email. Won't be taking either one. I may wait until a week or so before and then call to see what's available. The best deals will be less than 2 weeks prior to sailing.

Our sailing is May 8th and this week I've received 2 up-sell offers by email. Won't be taking either one. I may wait until a week or so before and then call to see what's available. The best deals will be less than 2 weeks prior to sailing.

My cruise is 5/1 and they have Haven upsells now, but I'm not checking again until "2 weeks prior" and probably holding off until "the week of".

But one really has to keep checking the availability. If that goes down, it's time to buy.

My first email with an upsell offer came about 5 weeks out. After that they came weekly. And the prices did go down slightly each time. At this point there were only a couple rooms left. And prices jumped WAY up. The suite I was looking at was originally offered at $500pp. It dropped to $400 and then $300. The final offer, when there was one room left, had gone up to $750pp. That was about 4 days before sailing.

My first email with an upsell offer came about 5 weeks out. After that they came weekly. And the prices did go down slightly each time. At this point there were only a couple rooms left. And prices jumped WAY up. The suite I was looking at was originally offered at $500pp. It dropped to $400 and then $300. The final offer, when there was one room left, had gone up to $750pp. That was about 4 days before sailing.

My cruise is 5/1 and they have Haven upsells now, but I'm not checking again until "2 weeks prior" and probably holding off until "the week of".

But one really has to keep checking the availability. If that goes down, it's time to buy.

I have a question about the emails that I hear about people receiving. I don't recall receiving them in the past. I was wondering if it has something to do with how you book your tip. We use a travel agent as it generally gets us a better price than what is listed on NCLs website.

Are you booking your trip directly with NCL?

Also, our sailing is May 14th so I would think based on what was said above, we potentially should have or will be receiving these emails soon, providing our booking method does not dictate receiving NCL emails. We are currently booked in an AFT balcony and would be interested in the Haven if the price is right.

I have a question about the emails that I hear about people receiving. I don't recall receiving them in the past. I was wondering if it has something to do with how you book your tip. We use a travel agent as it generally gets us a better price than what is listed on NCLs website.

Also, our sailing is May 14th so I would think based on what was said above, we potentially should have or will be receiving these emails soon, providing our booking method does not dictate receiving NCL emails. We are currently booked in an AFT balcony and would be interested in the Haven if the price is right.

My cruise is may 8 and I received my offer this past Monday. I did book with NCL not sure if that matters. It all depends on what is still avail for your sailing. I am also booked on a cruise in october that doesn't have many unsold suites, I won't be counting on an up sell for that cruise

Our cruise is May 8th and we booked directly with NCL. Also booked in an aft, so price would have to be very favourable to switch to Haven. You can expect an email soon for your May14th, if they send them to those who booked with a TA. I'd check with your TA, as well.

Thank you for all the feed back. Hopefully we'll see something soon from NCL. If not I'll reach out to my TA or just call NCL directly. As of now there are still a few Haven penthouses felt as well as Haven aft balconies.

Thanks again and I look forward to any additional info. I'll also post what I find out on my end when the time comes.

I am booked for a 5/7 cruise on the GEM. I am currently in an aft penthouse suite but would upgrade to a haven if the price is right. Is it to early to give the upsell dept a call? Additionally, if I take an upsell will I lose my perks as I booked this trip in January 2015 and the perks being offered were great at this time.

I am booked for a 5/7 cruise on the GEM. I am currently in an aft penthouse suite but would upgrade to a haven if the price is right. Is it to early to give the upsell dept a call? Additionally, if I take an upsell will I lose my perks as I booked this trip in January 2015 and the perks being offered were great at this time.

If you upgrade through the upsell department, you will keep the perks from your original booking. You won't get any additional perks.

If you upgrade through the upsell department, you will keep the perks from your original booking. You won't get any additional perks

That is good news since I would like to keep my original perks. I am booked with a TA but I assume based on replies above that I may contact the upsell dept directly.

That is good news since I would like to keep my original perks. I am booked with a TA but I assume based on replies above that I may contact the upsell dept directly.

Yes, you can call the upsell dept directly even if you booked through a TA!

I just today got my first upsell email on my fourth NCL cruise. Is this a recent thing, or have they been doing it a long time? Also, will they send as many as they need before sail date, or do they limit it to one per sailing?

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for all the feed back. Hopefully we'll see something soon from NCL. If not I'll reach out to my TA or just call NCL directly. As of now there are still a few Haven penthouses felt as well as Haven aft balconies.

Thanks again and I look forward to any additional info. I'll also post what I find out on my end when the time comes.

As promised I'm following up...

Since my last post, we were watching how many Haven AFTs were available and we tried calling several times without receiving an upsell email. We were told "nothing available at this time" over and over again. As the Haven AFTs started to dwindle, we kept calling.

I noticed today only one on Deck 10 was remaining so we called again. To our surprise, we got it with 16 days to go! Cost was $1,000 p/p. Based on our initial cost of our originally booked AFT balcony on Deck 14,we still come in $2000 less than if we booked the Haven outright in the first place. Just went in to do a "mock booking" for our sail date and the Haven AFTs show up as "Sold Out".

Very excited as we never have stayed in the Haven before and we look forward to all of the amenities it has to offer.

chances are no email.....call 2 weeks before is best

I may call again earlier than two weeks before. The problem is we require a handicap cabin and two are now available in the lowest category balcony. So I am afraid they may be gone if I wait too long since they may open HC for general sale soon.

I may just keep in eye on bookings and if one HC disappears, I will do something to get the other.