Never seen snow, cruising to Alaska?

Veelarie

I'm a Floridian and next year I am going on a cruise to Alaska. Although the temperatures don't seem too bad in August (probably 40 degrees at the least) it's still colder than I'm used to. I literally only have two pairs of long pants, and no long shirts. Maybe a light hoodie, somewhere if I can find it. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to wear! I've been looking around online and people say just to buy layers, but I'm literally going off of no knowledge other than sandals, shorts, and t shirts here. Does anyone have recommendations of what I'm suppose to wear in that kind of weather?

I'm a Floridian and next year I am going on a cruise to Alaska. Although the temperatures don't seem too bad in August (probably 40 degrees at the least) it's still colder than I'm used to. I literally only have two pairs of long pants, and no long shirts. Maybe a light hoodie, somewhere if I can find it. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to wear! I've been looking around online and people say just to buy layers, but I'm literally going off of no knowledge other than sandals, shorts, and t shirts here. Does anyone have recommendations of what I'm suppose to wear in that kind of weather?

Temperatures can actually be in the low 90's . We have actually got sunburned in Skagway. There are websites that can give you historical weather for many locations.

My basic packing list for Alaska for inclement weather:

1. Jeans/cargo pants

2. Long-sleeved shirt X 2

3. Sweatshirt/sweater

4. Outer shell water-repellent, jacket with foldable hood (no liner required)

5. Hiking shoes (Merrell Waterproof)

6. Rain poncho

7. Summer clothes if the weather is warm just like home

The above is a headstart and most available at REI

The clothing question has been asked and answered many times. To find past responses, use the SEARCH THIS FORM tool. which is just above the threa Search using the words 'clothes' or 'clothing'.

Regardless of when you travel, the packing list is the same. LAYERS, topped with a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded.

I take jeans, khakis, pr of shorts/capris, several T's, a couple of sweatshirts or fleece pullovers/sweatshirts then the jacket. And take a small daypack so that you have somewhere to store your layers when the weather changes during the day.

If you do extensive hiking, fishing, or outdoor activities you might want to buy some waterproof pants. (As the summer progresses it rains more, so Aug can be very wet). Dri Ducks on-line are pretty cheap.

p.s. I would also encourage you to read thru trip reports. Many people post their packing lists, and look carefully at the photos to see what people are wearing.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I'm a Floridian and next year I am going on a cruise to Alaska. Although the temperatures don't seem too bad in August (probably 40 degrees at the least)
August is also the statistically the start of wet weather than intensifies into September. In addition to the cold... be prepared for the moisture.

Oh, and by the way..welcome to cruise critic! My wife and I went to Alaska on the Inside Passage cruise in late July early August, 2008. Our weather was clean except for minor mist/rain in Juneau, otherwise we were blessed with 70 degree weather at all ports. We wore long pants (jeans) and long sleeve shirts and a light jacket tied around our waist (just in case). In the Tracy Arm fjord portion we wore heavy jacket, knitted head caps and gloves..it's cold up near the glacier and the wind created by the ship moving makes for some really cold sailing. Be prepared to take a few breaks during the fjord cruising as you will get cold no matter how warmly you dress.

This was my wife's favorite cruise of all. Have fun.

If you are going to spend a lot of your time outdoors- including your glacier viewing, then you need a wide range of attire, including a lightweight lined jacket, knit hat and gloves.

Try Goodwill, and Salvation Army perhaps? Then redonate for reuse by someone else?

My basic packing list for Alaska for inclement weather:

1. Jeans/cargo pants

2. Long-sleeved shirt X 2

3. Sweatshirt/sweater

4. Outer shell water-repellent, jacket with foldable hood (no liner required)

5. Hiking shoes (Merrell Waterproof)

6. Rain poncho

7. Summer clothes if the weather is warm just like home

The above is a headstart and most available at REI

That makes it so much easier! Thank you for putting it in list form, not sure what all those layers people asked me to pack were about but you cleared that up. And I'll definitely check out REI, as I do all my shopping online I'll check their online store.

Temperatures can actually be in the low 90's . We have actually got sunburned in Skagway. There are websites that can give you historical weather for many locations.

Yeah, like I said I looked up the weather for a typical August and it's like low of 40s. I'm used to like 78 degrees on Christmas day! I'm scared about the excursions being even colder, though.

August is also the statistically the start of wet weather than intensifies into September. In addition to the cold... be prepared for the moisture.

Great tip! Thank you! I'm gonna need to bring lots of waterproof things- fortunately my gopro is all set in that department.

The clothing question has been asked and answered many times. To find past responses, use the SEARCH THIS FORM tool. which is just above the threa Search using the words 'clothes' or 'clothing'.

Regardless of when you travel, the packing list is the same. LAYERS, topped with a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded.

I take jeans, khakis, pr of shorts/capris, several T's, a couple of sweatshirts or fleece pullovers/sweatshirts then the jacket. And take a small daypack so that you have somewhere to store your layers when the weather changes during the day.

If you do extensive hiking, fishing, or outdoor activities you might want to buy some waterproof pants. (As the summer progresses it rains more, so Aug can be very wet). Dri Ducks on-line are pretty cheap.

p.s. I would also encourage you to read thru trip reports. Many people post their packing lists, and look carefully at the photos to see what people are wearing.

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry if I bothered you posting this. As I mentioned I did do a lot of digging around online and didn't find anything that really made sense to me so I thought I'd join this community for some suggestions specifically cruise related for someone with an empty closet.

Oh, and by the way..welcome to cruise critic! My wife and I went to Alaska on the Inside Passage cruise in late July early August, 2008. Our weather was clean except for minor mist/rain in Juneau, otherwise we were blessed with 70 degree weather at all ports. We wore long pants (jeans) and long sleeve shirts and a light jacket tied around our waist (just in case). In the Tracy Arm fjord portion we wore heavy jacket, knitted head caps and gloves..it's cold up near the glacier and the wind created by the ship moving makes for some really cold sailing. Be prepared to take a few breaks during the fjord cruising as you will get cold no matter how warmly you dress.

This was my wife's favorite cruise of all. Have fun.

Thank you for the welcome, you're so nice! And thank you for the clothing suggestions- I'm now assuming I shouldn't carry only super wintery clothing with me seeing as it's such a common thing to be warm there! I'm very excited, even though I'm solo cruising which is nerve racking, first vacation by myself! But anyway I plan on it being a good time, thank you.

If you are going to spend a lot of your time outdoors- including your glacier viewing, then you need a wide range of attire, including a lightweight lined jacket, knit hat and gloves.

Try Goodwill, and Salvation Army perhaps? Then redonate for reuse by someone else?

Thank you for your suggestions! I don't want my cruise to be ruined by me being too cold or too hot, so I think you're right about a wide variety. Thank you!

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry if I bothered you posting this. As I mentioned I did do a lot of digging around online and didn't find anything that really made sense to me so I thought I'd join this community for some suggestions specifically cruise related for someone with an empty closet

No 'bother'. Since you are new to CC I wanted you to be aware of the SEARCH feature; it will come in handy as you continue to plan for your cruise. The trip reports and SEARCH feature provide a wealth of information.

There are also a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises ... Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call.

That makes it so much easier! Thank you for putting it in list form, not sure what all those layers people asked me to pack were about but you cleared that up. And I'll definitely check out REI, as I do all my shopping online I'll check their online store.

What is hard about figuring out layering?

Start out with a T shirt

If cold put on a long sleeve shirt over it

If still cold add a sweater/sweatshirt

Still cold, add a jacket, hat scarf, gloves as needed

Freezing still, go inside or take a Caribbean cruise instead :)

Each item of clothes you add is an additional layer. If hot reverse the process.

Don't overthink your packing list or you will be taking way more than you really need. I think you will be surprised at the temperature, people seem to have an idea that they will be wading thru waist deep snow against a freezing wind. The colder temps are going to be at night when you are aboard ship, during the day probably 60-70 more likely (maybe 55 on the low end with 80's possible)

You'll be fine, just enjoy the cruise. Pack less than you think, you can usually find cheap sweatshirts/jackets in port if you need to add another layer or two

No 'bother'. Since you are new to CC I wanted you to be aware of the SEARCH feature; it will come in handy as you continue to plan for your cruise. The trip reports and SEARCH feature provide a wealth of information.

There are also a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises ... Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call.

I knew there was a search button, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next time, instead of posting anything. :)

What is hard about figuring out layering?

Start out with a T shirt

If cold put on a long sleeve shirt over it

If still cold add a sweater/sweatshirt

Still cold, add a jacket, hat scarf, gloves as needed

Freezing still, go inside or take a Caribbean cruise instead :)

Each item of clothes you add is an additional layer. If hot reverse the process.

Don't overthink your packing list or you will be taking way more than you really need. I think you will be surprised at the temperature, people seem to have an idea that they will be wading thru waist deep snow against a freezing wind. The colder temps are going to be at night when you are aboard ship, during the day probably 60-70 more likely (maybe 55 on the low end with 80's possible)

You'll be fine, just enjoy the cruise. Pack less than you think, you can usually find cheap sweatshirts/jackets in port if you need to add another layer or two

I'm from Florida and haven't seen proper snow, so it's kind of abstract to think of wearing layers, never mind what I would even wear. I know it seems silly, and I guess that's why I ask! So that I can learn. :)

I do need to buy a scarf, and gloves, and a hat, and a jacket, and a sweater/sweatshirt. I've already taken a couple cruises to the Bahamas but I've gotta live a little and go out of my comfort zone and explore! Thank you for letting me know, because it seems like you've been on many cruises to Alaska, so your information is from a knowledgeable place!

We have cruised twice to Alaska. Once in early July and once in mid-August. Had colder and rainier weather in July than in August. Both trips produced a mixture of cooler and hot weather. One never knows. It was quite cold outside on the ship when we were cruising in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, but otherwise, we wore mostly a sweater or sweatshirt over a shirt. Alaska is amazing and beautiful -- don't stress, just get excited.

Depending on when you are going it can be quiet cool. Not something that people from FL are used to at all. Early in the season, it might not get above 60 - 65 during the warmest part of the day. Later on temps will average around 80.

Unfortunately as I have gotten older I tend to get colder so I have found that a couple of well made mid weight wool "T Shirts" either short or long sleeve work great as the bottom layer.

From that point on it is just a matter of adding more as needed.

I find the scarf to be very helpful when out on deck. My throat tends to get cold and the scarf protects from the wind finding a way in past your jacket collar. That and a good hat prevent a lot of heat loss from you head and help sort of "trick" you body into feeling warmer.

A number of years ago I found in a clearance bin at Kmart what I call my 'Elmer Fudd" cap for $5. It has a wool lining and built in ear muffs. I look stupid when I wear it but it is sure effective in keeping me warm. The only time I wear it is on my Alaska cruises lol

If your 1st port is Ketchikan, Tongrass Trading has a very big store right in the middle of the port area, and another one to the side. They have very competitively priced outerwear and most of it has Alaska printed on it. You get clothes and a souvenir together. They also have BIG sizes, I'm a big guy.

If your 1st port is Ketchikan, Tongrass Trading has a very big store right in the middle of the port area, and another one to the side. They have very competitively priced outerwear and most of it has Alaska printed on it. You get clothes and a souvenir together. They also have BIG sizes, I'm a big guy.

Thanks, Texasopa that great information for all.

Veelarie welcome to CruiseCritic. The name of the site doesn't quite fit; as you know it is a great place to find answers to your cruise questions and meet people. You will find the majority of the posters are truly kind and helpful and willing to share what they have learned. Once you join your roll-call you will find that they will have answers to questions you didn't even think about. Many, like some that have already responded to you, return to sail Alaska each year.

Don't feel lonely, I too am giving thought to just how drastic the cold might be in early Sept. and poorly I deal with it. I was just on a cruise stopped overnight in Rotterdam and it did not feel as cool as the temperature read that is until the wind kicked up. If you can find second-hand winter gear that you are comfortable that is great, if not I agree with a previous poster about REI or a similar store as department store winter clothes I find in Houston wouldn't touch the cold you find up north.

You will have a wonderful time by yourself with your GoPro and between the itinerary, ship's activities and the people you meet on this site you will have plenty to do and photograph.

Lori

I knew there was a search button, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next time, instead of posting anything. :)

I'm from Florida and haven't seen proper snow, so it's kind of abstract to think of wearing layers, never mind what I would even wear. I know it seems silly, and I guess that's why I ask! So that I can learn. :)

I do need to buy a scarf, and gloves, and a hat, and a jacket, and a sweater/sweatshirt. I've already taken a couple cruises to the Bahamas but I've gotta live a little and go out of my comfort zone and explore! Thank you for letting me know, because it seems like you've been on many cruises to Alaska, so your information is from a knowledgeable place!

Don't worry about asking questions, although it is good to know about the search function.