Best time to cruise to Alaska

Andie272

I am thinking way into the future, into 2017, and thinking about a cruise to Alaska, it's my 20th Anniversary and would love to cruise to Alaska for it.

A few questions:

1. When is the best time to sail to Alaska?

2. Is one cruise line better than others?

3.When does pricing open up for 2017?

4. Is a 7 day cruise long enough?

My daughter will be 14 then, and I think we would take her since I think this is (at least for us) a once in a lifetime thing and I want her to experience it.

Anything else you think I should be thinking about now?

Questions #1 and #2 are discussed here daily. In fact, it may be impossible to answer #2. As we don't know how you define "best" some reading would help you define "best" to suit your needs and tastes.

Various cruise lines release their schedules at different times. The schedules can come out as early as around December of this year, through about May of 2016.

Only you can decide if 7 days is enough or not. There aren't many cruises longer than 7 days in Alaska, but you can do back to back cruises to extend your vacation.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I am thinking way into the future, into 2017, and thinking about a cruise to Alaska, it's my 20th Anniversary and would love to cruise to Alaska for it.

A few questions:

2. Is one cruise line better than others? Depends on what your 14 year is interested in.

My daughter will be 14 then, and I think we would take her since I think this is (at least for us) a once in a lifetime thing and I want her to experience it.

Keep in mind that Alaska is more about ports than the ship . In Alaska

7 day cruises are the norm in Alaska unless you sail fro San Francisco.

HAL has a 14 day cruise.

FIRST- I strongly suggest you find out about Alaska. Head to your library, Alaska by Cruise ship by Viapond, plus both Fodor's and Frommer's Alaska have Port of Call books.

The regular cruiselines, are way more similar than different. Same demographics. So, don't get into the MYTH that HAL is all old, and Carnival is a party. Find out about EACH Alaska port- what it is known for and what activities YOU would like to include. There are only 6 Alaska inside passage ports.

Research each of the glacier areas.

With your activity selection- you then could be funneled into a date range.

7 days enough? Nope not for me. :)

2. Is one cruise line better than others?

Thoughts...

• Timewise.... I like July, sadly it's also high season.
    • Alaska is driest May to July. August begins their wet season and September is for storm chasers. When the storm is strong... ports are skipped. Skagway was shutdown a few days this August.
    • Alaska is cheapest in May and September for low season.
    • Alaska is more active August to September.

[*]Some cruise lines offer my fav spot Glacier Bay if want to see glaciers at their best.

[*]if you are cruising through Vancouver.... think extra days at this bonus port. It's larger than all of Alaskan ports combined.

[*]do you want a 7 day one way vs 7 day round trip that skips the Anchorage area?

• one way flight from Anchorage can be the same price as 7 day cruise. Do you have time for 14 days plus?

[*]would the cost continue to be low in 2016? How long will the Canadian currency be such a bargain for extra hotel nights and excursions?

Some vids to give you some ideas...

LyOFAKRjcpo NHqJf6Un5-U B0dplvMRQHQ txO8VK4LaLQ

I cruised this year on Star Princess, one week southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. Departed August 1st. Had magical weather for almost the entire trip. Sunshine and clear skies most days. We were told that several cruises before ours were grey and rainy for some of the key glacier days.

For this reason, I don't think there's a perfect time to go based on weather. It can change on a dime.

7 days was a perfect amount of time for me, but it was also only one part of a big month long holiday to the USA. So again I would suggest the length is up to you to work out in terms of suitability. I will say that 7 days felt like a great amount of time, got to see so much and the glaciers are just spectacular.

Before booking, I selected the date I wanted to embark my cruise and then researched every single cruise option and port/scenic cruising port. I found out what I wanted to see more, and wasn't dictated by cruise line preference at all. Alaska is all about the itinerary in my opinion.

I will say that princess put on a spectacular Alaskan cruise. I can't compare it to any other cruise line for you, but it was wonderful. The captain would spin the ship 360° in front of the main glaciers for approximately an hour, giving everyone an opportunity to see everything and take as many photos as they liked. The nature park rangers onboard spoke and educated everyone about Alaska, it was all very interesting. It's one of my top cruises ever, and I always tell everyone how amazing it was because it exceeded every one of my expectations.

Good luck planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska is more active August to September.

Typo.... Alaska is more wetter August, especially going into September. July/August is dry for Cascadia ports.Most seek out dry weather, especially for excursions.

There is no best time to visit Alaska. Weather anytime can be predictable and like most things in it there are tradeoffs. I like going early in the season when there are less passengers in port, but the downside can be the weather. I would pick a date that works best for you.

Some cruise lines are more luxurious than others. Some cruise lines offer more land programs than others. And each one is different and what one person prefers another one might not.

I would begin with itinerary which will help you to rule in and rule out some of the lines based on the itinerary.

For a first cruise of Alaska I think seven days is fine. You will want to consider whether or not you want to do a pre or post land cruise program and if so that will add more days to the overall itinerary.

Keith

We did two weeks in July . The weather was the wettest we've we have seen in Alaska in 12 cruises there. The weather before and after we're great.

I have a tale of 2 July 4ths.

In 2002, we had the wettest, coldest cruise to Alaska. It felt like sleet hitting my eyes whenever outside. It was full of fog the entire cruise with no visibility.....The ship sold out of jackets.

In 2009, I went back that same week. It was hot and I got sunburned. I remember sweating when I had jeans on in Skagway and I went back to change into shorts.

Same week, 7 years a part in July.

I would try to be as open minded as you can. Try very hard not to have any preconceived opinions or be too quick to make a decision. Research and read. See what others liked and why. See if that aligns with your likes and dislikes.

Example: N/B vs S/B or R/T. Some will say S/B to get the long flight out of the way. Others will say N/B because the views get more and more spectacular every day. I say I'm on vacation and I'm not doing anything just to "get it out of the way." Others like R/T for the convenience of coming and going from one port.

My thinking is that itinerary has much more to do with this trip than cruise line or ship. I know this is sacrilegious for many, but I have a difficult time telling one ship from another. Find the places you want to go and the things you want to do, then start narrowing down your decisions. It may sound tedious, but the results will be more than worth it.

Remember, every one has an opinion, most are free to share and many think theirs is the only "right" one. Read them all, then decide for yourself.