So how bad is Houston traffic??

We will be driving from Canada and will hit Houston on a saturday afternoon in February. How bad will the traffic be?

We were planning on coming into Houston on 59 from Texarkana. Today I was looking at the possibility of turning off in Livingston Texas on 146, and just taking 146 all the way until it meets up with i45. Google maps only says it is 20 minutes longer to take that way and it looks like you would avoid a lot of the traffic.

Is this a good idea?

HWY 59/69 doesn't really have any traffic on a Saturday till you get to the I45 connection

It does depend on what is going at the convention center or Arena, on traffic in that area

How bad will traffic be in Toronto on the second Sunday of March in 2018?

Pretty much the same answer....no one knows.

Unless there is something major going on at that time...accident, road work and such there is no reason jump on 146. Just stay on US59 (It becomes I69 magically somewhere north of Houston, but the same road) to Houston then hop on I45 right to the island. Or if the is some traffic downtown just take I610 around the east side and jump on I45 south to the island. Unless you get really lucky with the stop lights TX146 will take you a lot longer than staying on the interstates. i run up and down from Houston to Texarkana all the time. (I would recommend taking I49 south to Shreveport from Texarkana then taking US79 to Carthage TX instead of US59 in that stretch. it is all interstate (65-70 mph speed limit) between Texarkana and Shreveport and you will make much better time than US59).

I've been driving a truck in/out of the Houston area for almost 20 years and the traffic fears that people on here worry about a so overblown it is laughable sometimes. (unless you are talking about rush hour Mon-Fri)

I travel east Texas a lot

As far as the 45 or 59 decision if it was me stay on 59 all they way into downtown Houston to the 45 south interchange don't get on 610 or beltway 8 loops your going to hit some congestion in downtown but it's on a Saturday so won't be as bad but Houston traffic is annoying people cut across several lanes of hwy in one maneuver so be on guard Houston drivers can be aggressive it's always a pleasant experience to go to Houston also a tip tune radio to 740 am they have frequent traffic updates

If you cut across from 59 to 45 its way more than 20 minutes without traffic but you will run into traffic on 45 north in the Spring "Woodlands" / Conroe area on 45 north of Houston. 59 is a "country HWY" you will know what I'm talking about when ur on it. Traffic on 59 is minimal if none at all until u get inside the loops of Houston

If you want to avoid Houston all together you have the option to get off 59 in Tenaha Texas take 96 south to Beaumont Tx or continue on 59 to Lufkin Texas and take 69 to Beaumont Tx both Hwys meet in Lumberton Texas and turn into I-10 in Beaumont Texas then you take that south to Winnie Texas from there you can follow I-10 to Houston or go south on 124 towards the Gulf of Mexico then follow towards the west on hwy 87 at High Island Texas to Bolivar Peninsula that will take you to the Galveston Ferry its a free Ferry and added vacation experience plus u can come up harbor side drive from the south and experience much less traffic in Galveston also not sure how much time it adds to your trip probably not too much but it's a more scenic rout you can see the wait times for the ferry on the Texdot website

Edited by ceistre

How bad will traffic be in Toronto on the second Sunday of March in 2018?

Pretty much the same answer....no one knows.

Unless there is something major going on at that time...accident, road work and such there is no reason jump on 146. Just stay on US59 (It becomes I69 magically somewhere north of Houston, but the same road) to Houston then hop on I45 right to the island. Or if the is some traffic downtown just take I610 around the east side and jump on I45 south to the island. Unless you get really lucky with the stop lights TX146 will take you a lot longer than staying on the interstates. i run up and down from Houston to Texarkana all the time. (I would recommend taking I49 south to Shreveport from Texarkana then taking US79 to Carthage TX instead of US59 in that stretch. it is all interstate (65-70 mph speed limit) between Texarkana and Shreveport and you will make much better time than US59).

I've been driving a truck in/out of the Houston area for almost 20 years and the traffic fears that people on here worry about a so overblown it is laughable sometimes. (unless you are talking about rush hour Mon-Fri)

I understand you can't predict traffic. I was just looking for a general rule of thin for a Saturday.

I looked at this option because of all the stuff I read on here concerning the Houston traffic and just though the way I mentioned could be a way to avoid it all together even if it takes a little longer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I travel east Texas a lot

As far as the 45 or 59 decision if it was me stay on 59 all they way into downtown Houston to the 45 south interchange don't get on 610 or beltway 8 loops your going to hit some congestion in downtown but it's on a Saturday so won't be as bad but Houston traffic is annoying people cut across several lanes of hwy in one maneuver so be on guard Houston drivers can be aggressive it's always a pleasant experience to go to Houston also a tip tune radio to 740 am they have frequent traffic updates

If you cut across from 59 to 45 its way more than 20 minutes without traffic but you will run into traffic on 45 north in the Spring "Woodlands" / Conroe area on 45 north of Houston. 59 is a "country HWY" you will know what I'm talking about when ur on it. Traffic on 59 is minimal if none at all until u get inside the loops of Houston

If you want to avoid Houston all together you have the option to get off 59 in Tenaha Texas take 96 south to Beaumont Tx or continue on 59 to Lufkin Texas and take 69 to Beaumont Tx both Hwys meet in Lumberton Texas and turn into I-10 in Beaumont Texas then you take that south to Winnie Texas from there you can follow I-10 to Houston or go south on 124 towards the Gulf of Mexico then follow towards the west on hwy 87 at High Island Texas to Bolivar Peninsula that will take you to the Galveston Ferry its a free Ferry and added vacation experience plus u can come up harbor side drive from the south and experience much less traffic in Galveston also not sure how much time it adds to your trip probably not too much but it's a more scenic rout you can see the wait times for the ferry on the Texdot website

The OP was asking about TX146 not I45.

Whoops Misread that on cell phone under the impression he was wanting to cut across 59 to I-45 but regardless I'd still stay on 59 or reroute through Beaumont on 69 or 96 those are the best way through east Texas I've found I live in east Texas so I've driven all these roads and offering better options to the question of avoiding Houston ImageUploadedByForums1465395245.516021.jpg.0f68ee9cd4743fb38c4d126c4e708be6.jpg sorry if the pictures are not showing in good quality but you get the idea

ImageUploadedByForums1465395225.430881.jpg.d6028e3d128aadc488fdd8a025375436.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465395235.279837.jpg.f62a4dc7c7cf2be08fa0c2bcea143950.jpg

Edited by ceistre

It would be if he was not coming in through Arkansas or Louisiana borders he will have to drive almost due west another 1-2 hours to connect with 45

So are you suggesting taking tx146 would be a good option?

Nope I do not suggest 146 that road is actually worst than 59 lots stop and go traffic it takes u through a few small towns that eventually after passing I-10 it takes you right through Baytown with even more red lights and stop and go traffic especially if you attempt this during school times better off on 59 and driving right through Houston or rerouted to Beaumont, 146 used to be a nice little bypass until Baytown expanded to what it is today just follow the roads on Google street view find the rout that's right for you

So are you suggesting taking tx146 would be a good option?

No, no no.

avoid Tx146 it will not help or save you in any way. Use US59/I69 to Houston then I45 the last 40 miles or so to the island. Don't over think this. ;)

No, no no.

avoid Tx146 it will not help or save you in any way. Use US59/I69 to Houston then I45 the last 40 miles or so to the island. Don't over think this. ;)

Thanks!! I really value your opinion since you travel this route all of the time. One more question though. Typically what do you see along the entire route down there weather wise in late February?

Thanks!! I really value your opinion since you travel this route all of the time. One more question though. Typically what do you see along the entire route down there weather wise in late February?

it could be snowing or you could be in shorts and have the ac on, or anything in between. :D The reality is, your chances of bad weather (frozen type) will be a bit greater in the Texarkana area. It is about 300 miles between there and Houston so if there is a nasty weather it will be more likely just rain the closer to Houston you get. (now before someone says something....yes it can, and does on occasion snow or get freezing rain in the Houston area. But, it is not a regular event. I lived in the Houston area for 18 years and wore shorts in Feb more times than I was bundled up in a winter coat.) Once you get close to travel time start watching the weather and make minor adjustments to route if needed. Not knowing your exact route (though I have a pretty decent idea which one you are taking), there are other, less direct, routes to Houston/Galveston if needed due to potential bad weather. But, I would not worry about it at this time.

No, no no.

Agree 100%. I live on the north side of Houston, about a mile west of I45, and when we go to Galveston it is I45 all the way. Traffic in Houston is not near as bad as its reputation especially on weekends.

Several weeks ago, someone posted a similar question about Houston traffic on weekends. My answer then is the same now, plan the most direct route, but repost your question a few days before departure just in case that there is something going on the specific day that you will be driving through that we do not know about this far in advance now.

Edited by sptrout

If you're going to Galveston in February, might be more traffic due to the Mardi Gras celebration on the island. Once you reach Galveston, you should probably get off I45 onto Harbor Drive as soon as possible, since most Mardi Gras activity take place on the Gulf side of the island. ..

Same drive right from Ontario?

Yes, we live just north of Toronto. We are planning to do the drive in 2 days. Our children (teens) are use to the long drives as we've driven to Florida 2-4 times per year since they were very young.

Looking forward to something different this year and its been helpful to read all the tips people have been sharing.

Yes, we live just north of Toronto. We are planning to do the drive in 2 days. Our children (teens) are use to the long drives as we've driven to Florida 2-4 times per year since they were very young.

Looking forward to something different this year and its been helpful to read all the tips people have been sharing.

Cool, we live 2 hours north of Ontario. We were thinking 2 days but with a 4 year old we decided to go to 3 days just to be safe. What route are you taking? I will be interested in how it goes for you guys when you go!!

We will be flying into IAH a year from this July and reconsidering renting a car and driving right to our hotel in Galveston ( La Quinta Inn East Seawall). I had first thought we might spend the evening at the Airport Marriott then leaving around 9 AM the morning of the cruise, but now wondering if we shouldn't head right to Galveston. This will be our first time there so unfamiliar with the area. Recommendations on whether to drive down the afternoon we fly in or would we be fine the morning of the Cruise ( July 2 - Sunday ). Thank you.