OBC from travel agent?

cruise caper

Hello - first timer - in the process of booking on Epic for a Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona in late August with our family. We've put the rooms on hold through a travel agent and need to confirm early next week. I've read that OBC can be offered through a travel agent - how often does this happen? If agent says no - should we look to book elsewhere? We have 9 people in our group so feel some sort of incentive should be given (and agent didn't have to do a ton of pre-sale work - we came prepared to book the specific cruise with specific room). I also don't want to be off base and make any requests are aren't usual.

Thanks!

Hello - first timer - in the process of booking on Epic for a Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona in late August with our family. We've put the rooms on hold through a travel agent and need to confirm early next week. I've read that OBC can be offered through a travel agent - how often does this happen? If agent says no - should we look to book elsewhere? We have 9 people in our group so feel some sort of incentive should be given (and agent didn't have to do a ton of pre-sale work - we came prepared to book the specific cruise with specific room). I also don't want to be off base and make any requests are aren't usual.

Thanks!

How often? Nearly always. But not always from ALL agencies. That is why we recommend shopping around among multiple reputable cruise agencies and looking for the best deal. The best time to do this is before you even book a cruise (and put down a deposit) which is when you have the maximum leverage. Those who understand how this all works are usually looking for 7-10% in amenities such as OBCs, pre paid gratuities, etc.

If I were booking a cruise for 9 folks, we would contact 4 or 5 different agencies that we know well, and explain that we want to book X number of cabins on a specific cruise...are going to shop among several agencies, and simply ask, "what can you do for me?" We would then make the same pitch to several other agencies and the best deal gets the booking. We like to be very up front and tell the agencies that we are shopping around, will make the booking within a day (so they know you are for real) and see what happens. Competition is a good thing :).

Hank

Ask your TA about OBC but I would begin by asking what additional amenities can you provide and with nine people you should be able to get much more than if it is one or two people.

I too would have interviewed other agencies up front. Have the TA extend your hold by a few more days. Ask them what they will do for you. Tell them you will think about it. And then call other TA's.

Now be careful. The TA who offers the most might not be the best TA as they might not be there when you need them.

Sometimes a TA who provide a little less but is very reliable and helps you avoid pitfalls that could be costly is better than one who offers you more but is not there when you need them.

Keith

... One other thing -- ask the TA if they charge a fee should you need to cancel your cruise. Some do and some don't.

This is a good point. Also ask if they have change fees and will process price drops (more than one if necessary) without fees. It's also not unusual for the TA to reduce OBC if you get a significant price drop, since in most cases the OBC is coming out of their commission.

We've used the same TA for years. He always gives an OBC. If the cruise line offers one as well, it can be pretty hefty! This upcoming we have lots to spend! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app