40 Minute Connection in Atlanta

rbslos18

Actually, that's a scan for chemical compounds found in explosives. They will swab both your skin and carryon/contents. Interestingly, clothes that have been in close contact with fertilizers will alert the scan, so don't fly with your gardening or golfing clothes/shoes.

Fertilizers contain nitrates and so do many explosives. That's how an ANFO (ammonium-nitrate/fuel oil) bomb works. After the Oklahoma City bombing, large purchases of AN fertilizer are now scrutinized.

On our way back from Tampa through Atlanta, it was late evening between 10pm and midnight. I wish I had knewn that all restaurants closed by 10pm, so we were not able to get a meal anywhere in concourse F. One of the restaurants was late in cleaning and they had some sandwitches at the counter which we heavily overpaid (25 usd for 2 sandwitches & cokes), but that was the only option. Gee, my Dear Husband was angry, because he had thought to be able to eat properly before the long flght to Amsterdam. He hates to eat at planes, since he is a robust man and has difficulties managing the tray in the tiny space in economy class.

He got over it by sleeping the whole flight, which I am especially envious.

We had some funny moments at Tampa airport when Delta made us redo our luggage. Our first piece weighed 51lbs and the other 54lbs - we had open them up to eaven them to perfect 50lb each. Stuff did not go anywhere else but to our hand luggage - so in the end we still had all things with us. The funny part came at the gate where the staff asked voluteers to check in their hand luggage for free (as the plane was full) - which we gladly did - and I carried only my handbag to the plane. That was easy!

I noted that our tickets actually allowed 23 kg which is 50,7 lbs, so the 51lb luggage would have been perfect to begin with I think.

Traveling brings happy memories, even if **** happens. It is usually funny at least afterwards. :D

On our way back from Tampa through Atlanta, it was late evening between 10pm and midnight. I wish I had knewn that all restaurants closed by 10pm, so we were not able to get a meal anywhere in concourse F. One of the restaurants was late in cleaning and they had some sandwitches at the counter which we heavily overpaid (25 usd for 2 sandwitches & cokes), but that was the only option. Gee, my Dear Husband was angry, because he had thought to be able to eat properly before the long flght to Amsterdam. He hates to eat at planes, since he is a robust man and has difficulties managing the tray in the tiny space in economy class.

He got over it by sleeping the whole flight, which I am especially envious.

We had some funny moments at Tampa airport when Delta made us redo our luggage. Our first piece weighed 51lbs and the other 54lbs - we had open them up to eaven them to perfect 50lb each. Stuff did not go anywhere else but to our hand luggage - so in the end we still had all things with us. The funny part came at the gate where the staff asked voluteers to check in their hand luggage for free (as the plane was full) - which we gladly did - and I carried only my handbag to the plane. That was easy!

I noted that our tickets actually allowed 23 kg which is 50,7 lbs, so the 51lb luggage would have been perfect to begin with I think.

Traveling brings happy memories, even if **** happens. It is usually funny at least afterwards. :D

FYI, in pretty much every US airport, everything is closed by 10:00 pm. I can't think of any where food is available after that. In many, things start to close between 8:00 and 9:00.

Delta made us redo our luggage. Our first piece weighed 51lbs and the other 54lbs.....Stuff did not go anywhere else but to our hand luggage - so in the end we still had all things with us.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the weight limits on checked bags are not only to limit total weight on the plane, but also to minimize workers' comp claims from baggage handlers getting injured from lifting overweight bags. Weight limits and fees for overweight bags help keep those claims in check.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the weight limits on checked bags are not only to limit total weight on the plane, but also to minimize workers' comp claims from baggage handlers getting injured from lifting overweight bags. Weight limits and fees for overweight bags help keep those claims in check.

I do understand this. And that is just fair to the people handling the luggage, of course.

But at least in Finland the limits go like this:

1 bag 23 kg per person - but I can pay extra for my bag to weigh max 32 kg

Or if 2 people want to put their stuff in just one bag, it is not 2 x 23 kg but only 32 kg together and they would still have to pay for the extra above 23 kg. Therefore it is more affordable to have 2 bags for each 23 kg than just one bag together - and easier for the workers, too, altough actually taking more space in the aircraft.

So in the end, 32 kg will be the maximum the workers must be able to handle. Therefore I think the 51 lb should have been okay. It is merely 136 grams = 0.3 lb over the limit which is less than the weight of the heavy plastic luggage tag I have on my luggage.

I do understand this. And that is just fair to the people handling the luggage, of course.

But at least in Finland the limits go like this:

1 bag 23 kg per person - but I can pay extra for my bag to weigh max 32 kg

Or if 2 people want to put their stuff in just one bag, it is not 2 x 23 kg but only 32 kg together and they would still have to pay for the extra above 23 kg. Therefore it is more affordable to have 2 bags for each 23 kg than just one bag together - and easier for the workers, too, altough actually taking more space in the aircraft.

So in the end, 32 kg will be the maximum the workers must be able to handle. Therefore I think the 51 lb should have been okay. It is merely 136 grams = 0.3 lb over the limit which is less than the weight of the heavy plastic luggage tag I have on my luggage.

The problem is that if the make an exception for one, they need to do for all, and then where do they draw the line.

Frankly I'm not sure how people end up with such heavy bags anyhow, the heaviest I've ever gone was 38 pounds, and that was because half of my suitcase was full of promotional materials for an expo I was going to.

The problem is that if the make an exception for one, they need to do for all, and then where do they draw the line.

Frankly I'm not sure how people end up with such heavy bags anyhow, the heaviest I've ever gone was 38 pounds, and that was because half of my suitcase was full of promotional materials for an expo I was going to.

Last month, I had a two week trip that covered multiple countries in multiple hemispheres...thus one trip had both winter and summer. I also had a new suitcase and really wanted to test it. I somehow stuffed 48 lbs in to it, a record for me. Ended up not using probably 8-10 lbs of the stuff in it.

I think the 51 lb should have been okay. It is merely 136 grams = 0.3 lb over the limit which is less than the weight of the heavy plastic luggage tag I have on my luggage.

And if they allow 51 lbs., someone will say "But my bag weighed 52 pounds. That's only 136 grams over the allowable limit." And so on, and so on. They have to draw the line somewhere and they've drawn it at 50 lbs. Just MHO but if your bag weighs over 50 lbs, you've probably packed too much for the average cruise. :)

Oh no, this was on our way back home AFTER the cruise including altogether 5 pre and post days of heavy shopping. We arrived to Us with just about nothing but 2 near empty bags with the intention of getting clothes and shoes as much as possible the weight limits allow.

Normally, like in Oct 2013 Med cruise we can manage well with one luggage plus carryons.

Your prices plus the exchange rate Usd-Eur saved us a fortune. Brands like Nike, Tommy Hillfiger, Ralph Lauren, Underarmour etc are valued here and cost us a lot. You have also bigger sizes available in every brand. Fashion in Women size 14 is hard to find here. In Us, sizes go easily way over that. Same goes with men's clothing. And the styles and prints are different, too. So we have something others wont be wearing.

I agree there absolutely has to be a line drawn somewhere. Still 23kg was my allowance on my ticket, and that equals to 50,7lb. Not 50lb.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app