Bonnie -- What's too old to drink?

Keystonetraveler

I've just received word that the upper age limit is being removed from the tequila tour.

We are very sorry for this embarrassing mis-step on our part.

And I thank you, keystonetraveler, for calling our attention to this.

P.s. I hope to hear back if you do participate in this tour!

I just have a couple of things to add- I've been on tours with people 20 years my senior who rocked it, and 20 years younger who couldn't keep up with me! It's more about ability than age! And I think if there's going to be a tequila test onboard, we should all be invited! :D

Maybe Azamara is phasing in a new policy - no guests over 73!

This was/is very poorly handled by Azamara where guests are more sophisticated and in tune with their personal limitations as maturity beckons than say the more openly "party" ships. My spouse loves to shop, does not drink tequila and even rarely drinks at all, even on Azamara - maybe 4 mixed drinks and one glass of wine last 11-day cruise. She is 75 and works out twice a day on her stationary bicycle. So now Azamara is establishing an arbitrary criteria based solely on the number of years on the planet for their excursions. Bad policy.

Maybe Azamara is phasing in a new policy - no guests over 73!

This was/is very poorly handled by Azamara where guests are more sophisticated and in tune with their personal limitations as maturity beckons than say the more openly "party" ships. My spouse loves to shop, does not drink tequila and even rarely drinks at all, even on Azamara - maybe 4 mixed drinks and one glass of wine last 11-day cruise. She is 75 and works out twice a day on her stationary bicycle. So now Azamara is establishing an arbitrary criteria based solely on the number of years on the planet for their excursions. Bad policy.

SEE Post #26 from December 30th.

• 3 weeks later...
I definitely impose my own restrictions on Liquor consumption. I won't drink my scotch that's less than 12 years old but much prefer 18 and 21 year old more!

Now, that is funny, I don't care who you are. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bonnie for getting this straightened out so I could sample tequila at my advanced age. Actually, I don't feel old on this cruise. I think the average age must be somewhere between 75 and death. These are the most feeble and least fit group of passengers I have ever seen on Azamara.

The tequila tour was interesting. In contrast to the tour description, the "shopping" was done first. It really was not shopping but a visit to a nondescript Mexican city. However, it gave us a chance to see how locals live in a city that clearly has almost no tourism. I actually enjoy such visits.

The tasting was at a quaint 10-room boutique hotel and lasted almost two hours. Following three shots of tequila, we were given three large margaritas. We had a very boisterous and lively return to the ship.

Thanks Bonnie for getting this straightened out so I could sample tequila at my advanced age. Actually, I don't feel old on this cruise. I think the average age must be somewhere between 75 and death. These are the most feeble and least fit group of passengers I have ever seen on Azamara.

The tequila tour was interesting. In contrast to the tour description, the "shopping" was done first. It really was not shopping but a visit to a nondescript Mexican city. However, it gave us a chance to see how locals live in a city that clearly has almost no tourism. I actually enjoy such visits.

The tasting was at a quaint 10-room boutique hotel and lasted almost two hours. Following three shots of tequila, we were given three large margaritas. We had a very boisterous and lively return to the ship.

Great reading this thread, glad it all worked out and you had a fun time on the excursion (that is if you remember it after three shots of tequila and three large margaritas)! Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Hi keystonetraveler,

Thanks so much for letting us know it went well. Sounds like you had fun!

Bonnie - we are going on our first Azamara cruise in August. I am distressed to read on this thread that Azamara allows physically challenged guests to sign up for, and go on, strenuous tours. Some here have said that their tour was shortened, and highlights missed because these handicapped people slowed the entire group down.

What is Azamara's policy reference this and could people using a walker (as noted by some) or a wheel chair, be allowed to go on a tour where there is uneven ground, many stairs, gravel pathways, etc. I have been on a Viking tour where a husband and wife (in a wheelchair) slowed everyone down, especially after the wife complained loud and often that the tour leader was going too fast for her. The Viking rep basically told us they did not want to tell the couple they could not go on these tours. No one on the tour was told beforehand that we would be required to see less because of this. Would we be advided prior to the tours we choose? Thank you.

Hello impala1ss, and welcome to our Azamara forum!

Azamara Club Cruises welcomes all guests, including those with special needs or disabilities. Here's our page on Accessible Cruising: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/accessible-cruising

If you click through to the FAQs link, you'll find our information on Accessible Shore Excursions. We go to great lengths to label all tours according to difficulty. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/discover/frequently-asked-questions#land-discoveries

Hopefully this answers your concerns. If not, feel free to ask again, but if I may, I'd suggest starting a new thread with a more appropriate title, rather than "Too old to drink." That way others with a similar interest/concerns will participate in the conversation.

Thanks for writing, and thank you for choosing Azamara Club Cruises!