Bonnie -- What's too old to drink?

Keystonetraveler

"When I was young, I could get around. I didn't need no help. But since I'm old and getting gray, the people all look at me and say: too old, too old, he's too old to cut the mustard anymore."

These are some of the lyrics from a country song I've always liked. However, my travel agent talked to Azamara yesterday, and it's obvious they feel that the lyrics apply to me.

I will be on the Quest cruise departing from Costa Rica on January 26th and going to San Diego. I tried to sign up online for the Tequila Tasting and Shopping land excursion (QQ10) on January 31 in Puerto Chiapas, Mexico. The excursion is listed as being mild and available only to persons at least 18 years old. I was not allowed to sign up and was told on the computer screen that "this guest does not meet age requirements." I'm 73.

My travel agent contacted Azamara and was told there are concerns that older people will not be able to handle the shopping part of the excursion if they have had too much to drink beforehand, and therefore they cannot sign up online. However, the person contacted at Azamara did not know or would not say at what age this prohibition kicked in.

My travel agent was told that I could go to Land Excursions on the ship and they would give me "tests" to determine whether I would then be allowed to sign up. This has raised several questions from me. First, will anyone have told Land Excursions that they are supposed to do this? I have not been too impressed in the past by what information has been given to them by the folks in Miami. Second, what are the tests? The person at Azamara again did not know or was unwilling to say. Third, are the Land Excursions people properly trained to evaluate the effect that alcohol might have on guests of whatever age and how much these people might drink?

So, I would appreciate it Bonnie if you could get me some answers to these questions. Thanks.

This does seem rather strange Keystonetraveler. As you know alcohol is freely available on Quest and Journey and I am not sure I have ever seen anyone on board who has had too much. Azamara guests are the sort of people savvy enough to exercise personal responsibility.

Am hoping that this is a silly anomaly and that Bonnie can intercede so that you can book and participate in this LD tour.

Enjoy your cruise

Too old to shop ? Arent those the biggest shoppers ? They buy for kids, grandkids, neighbors, friends , a little booze will only loosen up the checkbook a bit more. It has to be some other reason if you ask me. Its not like its tequila and water-skiing or tequila and rock climbing.

That age criteria is not unique.

On the Land Discoveries offering for Cartagena the "horse and carriage" tour is limited to those 71 or younger. Perhaps there is a fear that some of us old farmboys might suddenly flashback to our "prime" and seize the reins to impress everyone with "how it really should be done!" :)

Or, perhaps more likely, there is a concern for the elderly in accessing or leaving the carriage.

I assume it's likely that this is a rule instituted by the company who provides the tour, rather than Azamara itself.

That age criteria is not unique.

I assume it's likely that this is a rule instituted by the company who provides the tour, rather than Azamara itself.

Agree...apparently history has forced the tour provider to institute this policy although it is sad that it is age that is the deciding factor, what about health/illness/mobility at ANY age that is unknown by the tour operator that an attendee could be affected by if too much alcohol is consumed? Although the percentages favor age more than health of participants, it really should not be a blanket criteria of the tour operator and Azamara probably should rethink patronizing this particular tour operator whose age limits are insulting to their guests...IMO

Well, I know my answer now when Land Discoveries ring 2 weeks before a cruise to remind me I haven't booked an excursion- I'm too old. At my next birthday in 9 days time, I will be able to claim my free UK TV Licence!

Whats that ? Explain for us on this side of the world

Whats that ? Explain for us on this side of the world[/QU

In the UK we need to purchase a license to watch BBC T.V. but when you reach a certain age it is free.

I will not me mention the age I will leave that to upward UK

Just wow.

I know 40-somethings who can hardly walk a block and my 95 year old dad drives himself to a recreation center and walks 1 to 3 miles several days a week. We went zip lining at age 60 and we were far from the oldest. Age has nothing to do with fitness or ability. I sure hope that when we're 73 we aren't subject to limitations like that. I'm of sound mind and body and will make my own decisions about what I can and can't and will and won't do. Seriously, just wow!

Whats that ? Explain for us on this side of the world[/QU

In the UK we need to purchase a license to watch BBC T.V. but when you reach a certain age it is free.

I will not me mention the age I will leave that to upward UK

75 yrs and above don't require a TV licence.

Slight compensation for growing old.

I'm hoping this whole thread is based on a joke. Really! This is incredibly patronizing and demeaning, as is the horse and carriage tour limitation. I just can't believe they'd do that! Don't they know that 70 is the new 50?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm hoping this whole thread is based on a joke. Really! This is incredibly patronizing and demeaning, as is the horse and carriage tour limitation. I just can't believe they'd do that! Don't they know that 70 is the new 50?

Thats so very true most 18 year olds are as mature as an 8 year old, so it probably works out that 70 is the new 50.

We are on the same cruise (Costa Rica to San Diego Jan 26, 2017) and found age limitations for other things as well....ex: we wanted to go horsebackriding and it was a "no-go" due to age....Well I could go, but my husband couldn't...

On a previous cruise on Princess, there were several excursions in the Caribbean that also had the age restrictions, even ones where we couldn't really figure out what the physical stress was supposed to be....

We don't exactly LOOK for super strenuous tours anyway, so finding ones we considered tame (but off limits to us) was a bit disappointing....especially when some other tours we went on were just as, or more, "daunting" than the ones we couldn't go on...GO FIGURE....just getting into the riptide at the Baths in Virgin Gorda, for example, SHOULD have an age/health warning considering how many people get scraped up/knocked down getting in and out of the water there, but no restrictions for THAT tour....

Liz

"You are only as old as you feel"

Please forgive me for playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I have been on several Land Journeys where the notes specified "strenuous" or similarly rigorous activity, and been very distressed to find passengers on the trip using walkers and in one case a motorized vehicle, on Cape Verde, which required several people to manage the curbs, resulting in us missing part of the featured portion of the tour. I am actually encouraged that they are making an attempt, however clumsy, at trying to weed out passengers who should have the self awareness to be reading between the lines on these activity descriptions.

Please forgive me for playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I have been on several Land Journeys where the notes specified "strenuous" or similarly rigorous activity, and been very distressed to find passengers on the trip using walkers and in one case a motorized vehicle, on Cape Verde, which required several people to manage the curbs, resulting in us missing part of the featured portion of the tour.

We have experienced the same issues and not necessarily with mobility aids. On one occasion it was the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, where once committed it is unfortunately difficult to beat a retreat.

Indeed, when I see these restrictions it does give good reason to consider whether the rules are there to provide some guidance which should be taken quite serously.

In a previous post I should have mentioned that some of these restrictions may be the result of insurance companies attempting to limit their risk.

We have experienced the same issues and not necessarily with mobility aids. On one occasion it was the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, where once committed it is unfortunately difficult to beat a retreat.

Indeed, when I see these restrictions it does give good reason to consider whether the rules are there to provide some guidance which should be taken quite serously.

In a previous post I should have mentioned that some of these restrictions may be the result of insurance companies attempting to limit their risk.

I can understand cautions or even age-related restrictions for excursions involving physical exertion. Going shopping after tequila-tasting doesn't sound like on of them, however. Maybe the excursion provider is concerned that older drinkers have harder heads and won't buy as much after imbibing? :p

Have to admit when I read your post I thought maybe you were joking.

As most of you know my DH and I have a house in Mexico. He belongs to a motorcycle club made up mostly of retired ex-pats from various corners of the world. There's plenty of tequila-tasting events and "shore excursions" with no thought to age...but then again no corporate liability issues either.

Give me a day or two to see what's what.

Have to admit when I read your post I thought maybe you were joking.

As most of you know my DH and I have a house in Mexico. He belongs to a motorcycle club made up mostly of retired ex-pats from various corners of the world. There's plenty of tequila-tasting events and "shore excursions" with no thought to age...but then again no corporate liability issues either.

Give me a day or two to see what's what.

I did try to start my thread with a little bit of humor, but the situation is no joke.

I am very interested in seeing as much as possible when I cruise and spend a good bit of time researching shore excursions. Having been fortunate to travel extensively over a long period of time, it is not always easy to find activities that are new and different. I have been to breweries, vineyards, and distilleries of whiskey, rum, and scotch. But, I know little about tequila and mezcal, so I thought this would be an interesting excursion even though I actually dislike their taste.

Then, I am told I am too old to drink and shop. I do read what is presented about excursions and realize their are sometimes age restrictions, even though they sometime seem a little odd to me. There was no maximum age shown for this excursion. If there had been, I would have accepted it and quickly moved on to the consideration of something different. Clearly, Azamara knows the limitation since my request was rejected. So, why not put it in the material available to cruisers? Unfortunately, I find this entire area to be a weak link for Azamara. Shore excursion information is often incomplete, inaccurate, and subject to change at the last minute. Azamara seems to pay less attention to details than any of the other cruise lines I use. But, fortunately, this weakness is outweighed by so much else that is very appealing to me.

What really bothered me the most, however, was that I was told that, once onboard, I could have the land discoveries people give me tests to determine whether I would be allowed go on this excursion. It is incomprehensible to me that they would be given a task like this. It really would be interesting to know what their qualifications for this might be.

I now wonder if I will be carded on the ship to make sure I am not too old to get an alcoholic drink! (Please take this last sentence for what it is -- sarcasm and an attempt at humor.)

....ha ha....

I will have to tell DH to watch out....they'll be taking away his drink, giving him his warm milk and slippers and sending him to bed....lol

I do "get" restrictions based on physical ability...we purposely AVOID the tours listed as strenuous, and screen even those of moderate level to make sure it is something we can handle... Believe me we do NOT want to choose tours with a lot of stairs, for instance. We know our limits...However physical ability is a function of so many other factors than age alone that it is hard to understand why there is an age limit..

Liz

I understand the liability considerations of both Azamara and excursion providers, but I wonder if there isn't a less ageist way to handle it. There are many, many people younger, but far less fit and a far greater risk than I am. I can't imagine not being turned away from a tour based on my DOB!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not get the restrictions and tests on one's ability to consume alcohol the opp refers to.

I do however understand age / mobility restrictions. I literally just returned from a "strenuous, 2 hour walking tour over uneven, rough terrain" in Indonesia where it's 32c/90f with >90% humidity. Our tour got severely delayed by people with walking canes, simply too old to make the steep hike, causing the route to be amended and everyone else to miss certain sites they paid to see. I hate to offend but the people in question should simply not have been able/allowed to book this particular tour.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not get the restrictions and tests on one's ability to consume alcohol the opp refers to.

I do however understand age / mobility restrictions...

.... I hate to offend but the people in question should simply not have been able/allowed to book this particular tour. Floris

url]

That's not offensive, Floris, and is why arbitrary age cut offs on some activities, and not on others where they're needed, don't work well. I'd bet it's the excursion providers each having their own read on how best to avoid problems. No easy answers, and sometimes it's as much attitude as ability that can make one person ruin a tour for everyone else. There's no restriction that will change that! Probably, the best we can hope for are excursion descriptions that are very, very accurate about just how strenuous they are.

Melissa

Sent from my iPad using Forums