Best and worst cabins in Spirit

rgaudet

Hello

A couple of years ago I considered a cruise on Silver Spirit and remember seeing a thread here about the various cabins, which were noisy etc. I thought it might be a sticky topic but I don't see it. I tried searching but can't find it. Does it ring a bell for anybody ?

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. This helps. Regarding motion, I seem to recall reading that this ship has a lot more motion than other ships. I'm ok with a bit but I'm thinking of the transatlantic in April and don't want more motion than is normal. The closest ship I could compare is Azamara Journey that handled some rough seas well.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Regarding motion, I seem to recall reading that this ship has a lot more motion than other ships. I'm ok with a bit but I'm thinking of the transatlantic in April and don't want more motion than is normal.

We may see you there, then, as we will be bobbing across in April.

We only have one journey on the Spirit - we were in 703, which is right at the pointy end of the ship. Walking along the corridor it was very clear that the amount of pitch noticeably decreased approaching midships. We like the motion but if you are bothered by it then I'd look at something nearer the middle of the boat. I'd also concur with the suggestion that the lower decks are more stable.

We will be in 411 on the TA - still far for'ard but much lower down. No veranda, of course, but I'm not sure that's much of a loss on a TA.

I was just on the Spirit for the November transatlantic - and I can report that midship, 6th deck would be the best EXCEPT for the fact that they are right above the bar... NOT GOOD. So, for my next transatlantic I will book 738-761 - and if sun on the veranda is important to you - be sure to book starboard side going east. The cabins on the Spirit are definitely the most soundproof I've ever encountered but I still pay attention to what is above/below the cabin I'm booking.

Jen

I was just on the Spirit for the November transatlantic - and I can report that midship' date=' 6th deck would be the best EXCEPT for the fact that they are right above the bar... NOT GOOD. So, for my next transatlantic I will book 738-761 - and if sun on the veranda is important to you - be sure to book starboard side going east. The cabins on the Spirit are definitely the most soundproof I've ever encountered but I still pay attention to what is above/below the cabin I'm booking.

Jen[/quote']

Not surprisingly all the mid ship veranda staterooms are gone. That's the trouble with booking late! Jen, how did you find the movement on the ship during your TA?

Thanks,

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a quick question about access to the Verandah in 801 on the Spirit.

On a crossing, I fully expect there to be wind and and conditions which would make many people consider the space useless. Last year, on a crossing I had a similar room on "Marina" overlooking the bow and I spent many hours out there, just watching the ocean, it was fantastic.

I hope to do the same on the Spirit....

However, although I love the motion and being at sea, is it locked at any time if conditions warrant?

Many thanks!

First of all, the Silver Spirit is probably the most stable cruise ship of its size out there. I've been on a LOT of ships large and small, both commercial and military, so I think I am qualified to address that subject. Second, regarding 801 aboard Spirit, the door to the forward balcony is locked while at sea, because it's just too windy out there with the ship doing 20 knots or so, plus any natural wind on the bow. I always had the butler unlock the door before entering port and then close it after the sailaway. Spent many a happy hour lounging out on the "front porch" and it's great when you have a party in the suite. I always scheduled our parties just before the sailaway, so folks could enjoy a drink out there and also enjoy the sailaway; especially nice in the Caribbean. Go for it; you'll love it! 801 and 802 have the largest forward balconies, by the way.

Edited by dougburns

First of all, the Silver Spirit is probably the most stable cruise ship of its size out there. I've been on a LOT of ships large and small, both commercial and military, so I think I am qualified to address that subject. Second, regarding 801 aboard Spirit, the door to the forward balcony is locked while at sea, because it's just too windy out there with the ship doing 20 knots or so, plus any natural wind on the bow. I always had the butler unlock the door before entering port and then close it after the sailaway. Spent many a happy hour lounging out on the "front porch" and it's great when you have a party in the suite. I always scheduled our parties just before the sailaway, so folks could enjoy a drink out there and also enjoy the sailaway; especially nice in the Caribbean. Go for it; you'll love it! 801 and 802 have the largest forward balconies, by the way.

Thank you for your advice, we have booked 801 and fully expect to utilise the forward balcony for sailaways! It's good to be back with S Sea.

This November crossing I would consider "rough" - we bounced around for days at a time. Silversea crew put barf-bags on the handrails every six feet or so all the way down the halls to the cabins... never saw that before! You could most definitely tell that there was much more movement either on upper decks or extreme forward. Compare that to November 2013 crossing when the Atlantic was like glass the whole time! You never know what you're in for 'til you're there!

If all cabins midship on 6 and 7 were full, I'd stay as close to midship available, then on the lowest deck possible - even if all those are full - I WOULD RATHER BOUNCE AROUND IN THE FRONT THAN NOT GO!!!! (I just prefer the fall crossings with all the 25-hr days!)

Have fun...

Jen

As for bouncing...I can say that deck 5 midship was great for stability. We certainly had up and down, and sideways but not bothersome.

I don't think it was more rough than the prior year.

the lower and more midship you go is better if you are prone to seasick issues.

I specifically try and get the lower decks because my husband does get the wave disease.

he was fine this year.

I do think that the butlers on the lower decks have less experience. Our butler was brand new, but very eager to please. We don't have a butler at home, so we are happy to have the attention, even if there are some gaffes.

As for bouncing...I can say that deck 5 midship was great for stability. We certainly had up and down, and sideways but not bothersome.

I don't think it was more rough than the prior year.

the lower and more midship you go is better if you are prone to seasick issues.

I specifically try and get the lower decks because my husband does get the wave disease.

he was fine this year.

I do think that the butlers on the lower decks have less experience. Our butler was brand new, but very eager to please. We don't have a butler at home, so we are happy to have the attention, even if there are some gaffes.

Spin,

Just to clarify, the butler assignments rotate through the entire ship, with some exceptions for special requests. On our recent sailing we were on deck 4 in a guarantee and enjoyed Evelyn a 14 year veteran butler (David's favorite and for a reason, wow!) while he, in his usual deck 6 suite had a rookie, first contract. However after just one sailing with David he's now fully trained!!

So I wouldn't make butlers a consideration in your decision... it's pretty much the luck of the draw.

Thanks for the info re butlers. Just to clarify, we don't choose our cabin based upon the butler., nor was I aware one could do so. Interestingly I was told the hierarchy of butlers by one of our butlers, as he advised they consider moving up the decks as a promotion and that they started on the lower decks and move up. So who knows and since its SS, I fully believe that they might honor special requests. We did have a butler from hades on the Explorer, turns out she was becoming unwound. We were on deck three, and it was also her very first cruise as a butler. She wanted to tell us all about her problems and issues, of which she had many.

So bottom line, lower decks are more stable. Did you feel that way about where you where in terms of those issues?

I'd probably avoid 501 and 502 as those are right at the end of the hallway next to a door to the crew quarters.

We have been on decks 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 on the Spirit. We also thought the butler experience would be less on the lower decks, however, we have found that not to be the case. When they say the butlers move up to the "higher decks" when they have more experience, they probably mean 10 and 11 for the Silver Suites. Our last few saiings on the Spirit we choose deck 5, veranda 3 for a change...we were amazed at the difference in stability and the convenience of that deck. We also have had the best butlers we have encountered on a Silversea ship with those cabins (except for the times we've had a Silver Suite). On our most recent cruise, our butler was the cousin of a butler we had a number of months ago...he said his cousin told him that "his guests" would be onboard. (Hopefully not as a warning! :) ) I do know that if butlers have a specific guest they have been with before and worked well with, they may ask to take care of that cabin even if on another deck. We have also been told the butlers rotate decks on veranda cabins so they have a chance to work the facilities on each deck and also have a change of scenery.

On the recent TA on the Spirit on deck 11, we had the best butler we've ever had on any Silversea ship. He was going on vacation soon to be with his wife and new born son and said that he would request a lower deck when he came back several months later so that he could familiarize himself with the facilities there. Unfortunately, he will be off ship when we return in February, but I will keep in mind that we could request him.

There was considerable motion on deck 11 one day on the recent crossing, but we did not suffer any motion sickness. I did, however, suffer from a bit of vertigo when we got home!