international out of atlanta

sandij

we're looking to fly to Rome in april by way of Delta which means Atlanta. the flight I like best only has 1 hour 25 minutes on the way back. I know we have to clear customs in Atlanta before heading home so is this enough time.

I would allow at least 2 to 3 hours for connection. ATL has two international terminals now and frankly they haven't worked out all the details. If you arrive between 2 and 6pm you will possibly encounter long lines in either terminal. Once you have cleared immigrations and customs, you will then need to make your way to your connecting gate which could involved taking the train between concourses.

As someone noted, the schedule will likely change between now and then.

I would not chance it because I don't think that is enough time. You have to go thru customs reclaim your luggage and then go back k thru security. Look for another flight.

You will not have to go back through security as the international terminals and Customs are airside. You will already be in the secured area of the concourse's. Atlanta does have 2 international terminals and they are connected to the underground train system, they are Concourse E and the new International Terminal on the east side of the airport. I would be more comfortable with at least a 2 hour layover, but you can probably make an hour and 25 minutes work.

I've done C & I in Atlanta a number of times and would allow 3 hours for your connection. 1 1/2 hours will not be enough time especially if you come into Concourse E and have to walk to F for C & I and then transit to your departure terminal which could be anything from E to D to C to B to A to T. If you're on a RJ chances are you will leave from either the mid to to the ends of C or D.

There is a movable walkway from E to F but it's still a long haul.

Three hours will give you time to make those "necessary" stops, catch your breath, and get a little something to tide you over. You certainly won't have enough time to stretch out and take a nap between flights.

Have a great trip....and no matter what flights you book, monitor your itinerary on Delta "My Trips" occasionally for equipment or schedule changes.

You will not have to go back through security as the international terminals and Customs are airside.

WRONG.

Please do not give incorrect information.

After clearing immigration, you then retrieve your luggage and clear customs. If you are ending your trip in Atlanta, you no longer have to go through a security screening as you now exit directly through the new international terminal building.

However, if you are like most of the arriving passengers (and the OP), you will have to go through a full security screening before you can go into the concourse for your connecting flight. Why? Because once you have access to your checked baggage, you are no longer security "sterile". You could easily access banned items while were in your checked bags. In fact, this is the time when a connecting passenger would have to insert duty-free liquor into their checked bags.

Sometimes someone here will say don't worry since the airline will get you to your final destination, but you don't know when that will be. If the next flight is full, or several flights are full, you could wait a while.

If you bought anything in Duty Free stores (at the Rome airport or onbaord the plane), and they are liquids, be sure to put them in your checked bags before handing the off at the transit desk. My wife forgot to do this while transiting to a domestic flight at ATL, and had to give up her face creme at TSA security (didn't have enough time to go back to the checked bags).

You will not have to go back through security as the international terminals and Customs are airside. You will already be in the secured area of the concourse's. Atlanta does have 2 international terminals and they are connected to the underground train system, they are Concourse E and the new International Terminal on the east side of the airport. I would be more comfortable with at least a 2 hour layover, but you can probably make an hour and 25 minutes work.

As mentioned by FlyerTalker, this is not quite correct. As a TSA rule (and the rule of most countries in the world), you will have to re-clear security in between flights. After clearing immigration/customs, you're basically in the same situation as someone just starting their trip at that airport - luggage is in hand, ready to be dropped off, and following that, a standard security screening.

WRONG.

Please do not give incorrect information.

After clearing immigration, you then retrieve your luggage and clear customs. If you are ending your trip in Atlanta, you no longer have to go through a security screening as you now exit directly through the new international terminal building.

However, if you are like most of the arriving passengers (and the OP), you will have to go through a full security screening before you can go into the concourse for your connecting flight. Why? Because once you have access to your checked baggage, you are no longer security "sterile". You could easily access banned items while were in your checked bags. In fact, this is the time when a connecting passenger would have to insert duty-free liquor into their checked bags.

I was not trying to give out wrong information intentionally. The last time I flew through Atlanta internationally was some time ago and after clearing customs in Concourse E you dropped your checked bags on a conveyor to be sent to your next flight. I was then able to proceed into Concourse E and access the other concourses either by train or walking. Obviously with the new International Terminal what I experienced must now be different. And yes this was pre 9-11 and pre TSA, so I'm sure that makes a difference too. Sorry about putting out incorrect info.

I was not trying to give out wrong information intentionally. The last time I flew through Atlanta internationally was some time ago and after clearing customs in Concourse E you dropped your checked bags on a conveyor to be sent to your next flight. I was then able to proceed into Concourse E and access the other concourses either by train or walking. Obviously with the new International Terminal what I experienced must now be different. And yes this was pre 9-11 and pre TSA, so I'm sure that makes a difference too. Sorry about putting out incorrect info.

It wasn't the new international terminal that made the difference, I believe it was 9/11. At any rate, it's been an annoyance for a number of years now especially for those of us who live in Atlanta -- we have had to check our bags and go through security again MERELY to take a train, re-claim our bags and exit the airport!

The new international terminal at least alleviates that problem for those whose flight ends at Atlanta and who arrive at the new terminal.

It wasn't the new international terminal that made the difference, I believe it was 9/11.

These annoying features hve been around longer than 11 years. Blame it on poor airport design and quite a few airports have/had it: SEA (though it's been fixed in the last few years with a separation of the people mover in South satellite), PIT (probably moot now that its lost most international flights) and ATL (though you can now go directly landside at the new terminal).

These annoying features hve been around longer than 11 years. Blame it on poor airport design and quite a few airports have/had it: SEA (though it's been fixed in the last few years with a separation of the people mover in South satellite), PIT (probably moot now that its lost most international flights) and ATL (though you can now go directly landside at the new terminal).

no, PIT still sucks, int'l flights or no. i live in pittsburgh and love it, but the airport leaves a lot to be desired. too far to the gates, clogged security (not enough room for lines) and way too far to baggage/parking.

not anywhere near as bad as CDG, mind you.

no, PIT still sucks, int'l flights or no. i live in pittsburgh and love it, but the airport leaves a lot to be desired. too far to the gates, clogged security (not enough room for lines) and way too far to baggage/parking.

Hmm, I was under the impression PIT was a ghost airport these days now that US has dehubbed it.

So it's the train/people mover that is slow (only taken it about 4x)?

okay Delta won't work. just can't get the flights right to leave Rome and have time to clear customs in atlanta. Now looking at US Air with 1hr 59 minutes in Philadelphia, any opinions. I know we came through this way about 5 years ago and all I remember is long lines.

Archived