First time purchasing cruise insurance

I am looking into purchasing cruise insurance for a Hawaiian cruise. The cruise would be in January from New England. I am looking into Travel Guard, CSA or AON. Looking for any recommendations and what to stay away from. I would like to purchase flight protection especially since my flight could be affected by snow. I have not purchased my flight yet. Do I wait to purchase my flight then the insurance or it does this not matter? I also would like to be covered if I have to go the medical facility aboard the ship.

I am looking into purchasing cruise insurance for a Hawaiian cruise. The cruise would be in January from New England. I am looking into Travel Guard, CSA or AON. Looking for any recommendations and what to stay away from. I would like to purchase flight protection especially since my flight could be affected by snow. I have not purchased my flight yet. Do I wait to purchase my flight then the insurance or it does this not matter? I also would like to be covered if I have to go the medical facility aboard the ship.

I like TravelSafe. Their plans cover all of the concerns you have and more. You'll find answers to all of your questions here http://www.travelproservices.com/tsafefaq.htm

Edited by cruiseco

We strongly suggest that you contact Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker for several vetted insurers.

We've purchased several TravelInsured policies from them and a couple CSA policies.

Importantly, we had two claims with TravelInsured, and they were PAID without nonsense.

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We've purchased several TravelInsured policies from them and a couple CSA policies.

Importantly, we had two claims with TravelInsured, and they were PAID without nonsense.

I want to second GeezerCouple's recommendation. Steve at TripInsuranceStore helped us out with a claim that was proving to be difficult. He was also very good at talking through the different policies with us before recommending the most economical plan and company for our needs.

When you get a quote.... ask for a second quote with the "highest deductible".

I don't plan to use travel insurance for trivial stuff. Give me a lower rate.

Edited by xlxo

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

Totally agree with Geezer Couple and AMS Cruiser, Steve and his staff are very knowledgable and patient and will work with you to get the best coverage for your specific situation. Good luck!

Edited by Happy2cruise

I like TravelSafe. Their plans cover all of the concerns you have and more. You'll find answers to all of your questions here http://www.travelproservices.com/tsafefaq.htm

Have you had any experience with filing claims when you purchased TravelSafe? I have read several reviews and threads on here that people have to jump through hoops and it takes a long time to get the claim paid. People have said they have to send the same documentation over and over again. Just wondering if you had a better experience.

Have you had any experience with filing claims when you purchased TravelSafe? I have read several reviews and threads on here that people have to jump through hoops and it takes a long time to get the claim paid. People have said they have to send the same documentation over and over again. Just wondering if you had a better experience.

I am one of those with poor claims experience from TripMate, the people TravelSafe uses for claims. They have a good policy and price just don't expect much in the way of claims service.

For a cancelled flight which caused a no show for the cruise, it took them over two months to verify the flight was indeed cancelled and longer than that to confirm with TravelSafe that I did indeed have a valid policy. It took over three months for the claim to be paid after all the proper paper work was submitted.

That's when I switched to not buying directly from an insurance company any longer and now buy my policies from Steve at the Trip Insurance Store. I feel I'll have assistance on a claim if needed and not left twisting in the wind by myself.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have had after thought and can't edit. I see you fill out your information and then there is chart with options. You can click on the bottom and purchase one. It brings me to the same insurance sites that I have been looking at. I am a little confused why you would go through www.TripInsuranceStore.com as how do they know which insurance you chose and do they help you if you do have to file a claim? In addition it looks like some of the insurance plans seem like more money with tripinsurancestore.com then going directly to the insurance website.

I am still trying to figure out the insurance and plan to call www.TripInsuranceStore.com. For those that have used www.TripInsuranceStore.com could you tell me more about them and are they insured company?
Edited by Cruiseoholic000

Sorry I have had after thought and can't edit. I see you fill out your information and then there is chart with options. You can click on the bottom and purchase one. It brings me to the same insurance sites that I have been looking at. I am a little confused why you would go through www.TripInsuranceStore.com as how do they know which insurance you chose and do they help you if you do have to file a claim? In addition it looks like some of the insurance plans seem like more money with tripinsurancestore.com then going directly to the insurance website.

The tripinsurancestore is an insurance agency that specializes in travel insurance. They pres-select the insurance companies they wish to sell based upon several of their reasons. Some may be the type of coverage offered, claims payment history, pricing, etc.

The main reason I now use TripInsuranceStore is I want someone fighting on my behalf with the claims adjuster should a claim arise. They also can guide you on what to do when filing a claim that could mean the difference between getting paid or a speedier determination.

I went directly to an insurer on a previous trip and had a hell of a time getting them to respond since I'm only one person. It was three months while they dragged their feet. TIS writes many policies so they have leverage as a big customer the insurer doesn't want to lose. Kind of like using a TA to book a cruise instead of booking directly with the cruise line.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Another source of trip insurance is insuremytrip.com

Many cruisers use them as well. They have a wider selection of products than trip insurance store, and they have a chat function on their website, where you can pose questions right there as you are customizing your coverage. We have always found their staff very helpful in making the the right suggestions for our situation. Of course, you can call them up as well.

The tripinsurancestore is an insurance agency that specializes in travel insurance. They pres-select the insurance companies they wish to sell based upon several of their reasons. Some may be the type of coverage offered, claims payment history, pricing, etc.

The main reason I now use TripInsuranceStore is I want someone fighting on my behalf with the claims adjuster should a claim arise. They also can guide you on what to do when filing a claim that could mean the difference between getting paid or a speedier determination.

I went directly to an insurer on a previous trip and had a hell of a time getting them to respond since I'm only one person. It was three months while they dragged their feet. TIS writes many policies so they have leverage as a big customer the insurer doesn't want to lose. Kind of like using a TA to book a cruise instead of booking directly with the cruise line.

We also use tripinsrancestore because we feel confident that Steve and his staff work with us each time we need insurance and get us the best coverage for our particular needs. They are there to help getting the insurance and there if you need to file a claim:)

Edited by Happy2cruise

We've had excellent service from Steve at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com , with policies purchased through them from Travelinsured (but they have other good insurers, of course).

CALL THEM, don't rely upon the online summaries.

The fine print can matter a lot.

If you describe your trip, your situation, and any concerns, they can help you get the most appropriate policy for your needs.

Good luck!

(We've had two large claims, both paid promptly. That's what matters, after all!)

Last January, my flight from Houston Hobby to Newark was cancelled for 2 days. 1 day was closure of Newark Liberty airport due to snowstorm Jonas. The following day due to fully booked flight.

After receiving the airline email of the cancellation while still on board the ship, I called my insurance company, Travel Insured Int'l, and informed my situation. They immediately advised that I am covered for hotel, meals, transportation and rebooking fees if needed, and specified my covered amount.

I filed a claim online for all my expenses, 3 days after getting home since I still requested thru email the airline's confirmation of cancellation.

I got the check from my insurance after 15 working days.

It is wise to travel always with trip insurance, regardless of age. No one knows what will happen.

I know there are other trip insurance companies who have a reliable claims processing. This was just my personal experience.

Hopefully they advised you that insurance for trip cancellation coverages needs to be booked at/close to time of flight or cruise purchase. If you want added coverages for medical, we found CSA has the most flexible pre existing conditions policy.

Happy travels@!

Hopefully they advised you that insurance for trip cancellation coverages needs to be booked at/close to time of flight or cruise purchase. If you want added coverages for medical, we found CSA has the most flexible pre existing conditions policy. !

That's one of the questions they asked me before making a recommendation; when did you make your deposit?

Hopefully they advised you that insurance for trip cancellation coverages needs to be booked at/close to time of flight or cruise purchase. If you want added coverages for medical, we found CSA has the most flexible pre existing conditions policy.

Happy travels@!

I checked the CSA website and noticed that flight accident is standard, while other insurance have it as option with cost.

Seems a nice alternative. Thanks.

I am kind of surprised I do not see more mention of people on here using Nationwide travel insurance as they offer a cruise specific travel insurance at reasonable rates.

I have always used http://www.insuremytrip.com and found Nationwide listed on there a few cruises ago and have purchased it a couple times now. They have 3 choices that are cruise specific (also cover airfare and everything others do as well), but they offer benefits for missed ports/itinerary changes/shipboard service disruption and such. And on at least one if not two of the choices they offer a cancel for any reason for those that like that option as well as cancel for work reasons...

I am kind of surprised I do not see more mention of people on here using Nationwide travel insurance as they offer a cruise specific travel insurance at reasonable rates.

I have always used www.insuremytrip.com and found Nationwide listed on there a few cruises ago and have purchased it a couple times now. They have 3 choices that are cruise specific (also cover airfare and everything others do as well), but they offer benefits for missed ports/itinerary changes/shipboard service disruption and such. And on at least one if not two of the choices they offer a cancel for any reason for those that like that option as well as cancel for work reasons...

Do you have any claims experience yet with them or just the mental security of having the policy? That, IMHO, is the true test of any company's policy.

When I buy life insurance, I select a company that specializes in that category. Same with Homeowners or auto insurance. I never considered Nationwide because I've not heard positive follow-up experience after something happened. Don't they specialize in Homeowners/auto insurance or am I thinking of another company?

This has nothing to do with Nationwide, however I've come to believe that a cheap policy isn't worth the paper it's written on if there is a lot of grief collecting on a claim. Learned that lesson the hard way with TravelSafe who uses TripMate for claims.

Regarding the missed ports provision, that's not important to me. My first priority is medical in case something unexpected happens. Then cancellation/delay for out of pocket costs/expenses I can't get refunded. I can live with missing a port for whatever reason.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I have always used www.insuremytrip.com and found Nationwide listed on there a few cruises ago and have purchased it a couple times now. They have 3 choices that are cruise specific (also cover airfare and everything others do as well), but they offer benefits for missed ports/itinerary changes/shipboard service disruption and such. And on at least one if not two of the choices they offer a cancel for any reason for those that like that option as well as cancel for work reasons...

Your listed coverage is standard on most trip insurance plan of insurance companies.

Others may have found extra coverage, or guided on claims performance, that have been more favorable than Nationwide.

Just a thought.

Do you have any claims experience yet with them or just the mental security of having the policy? That, IMHO, is the true test of any company's policy.

When I buy life insurance, I select a company that specializes in that category. Same with Homeowners or auto insurance. I never considered Nationwide because I've not heard positive follow-up experience after something happened. Don't they specialize in Homeowners/auto insurance or am I thinking of another company?

This has nothing to do with Nationwide, however I've come to believe that a cheap policy isn't worth the paper it's written on if there is a lot of grief collecting on a claim. Learned that lesson the hard way with TravelSafe who uses TripMate for claims.

Regarding the missed ports provision, that's not important to me. My first priority is medical in case something unexpected happens. Then cancellation/delay for out of pocket costs/expenses I can't get refunded. I can live with missing a port for whatever reason.

I was just trying to pass along info on some insurance I have used for those who may not know about insurance with cruise specific benefits being available, just like you are doing with your information on who to go with. And to some those cruise options are important. And I said reasonable rates, not cheap - I have bought cheaper policies and more expensive in the past. And they also offer medical/evacuation and everything everyone else does - it just has some added cruise benefits available. Wasn't this thread called First Time Purchasing Insurance??? Just giving more options is all...:rolleyes:

Just because a company does not specialize in one specific product does not make it any less efficient than one that does. Look at USAA for instance. A lot of people buy travel insurance through them, yet that is not their main product, not even close, yet they are recommended often. I have USAA for both auto and home insurance so I am quite familiar with them...

As far as claims, no I have never had to file a claim for any of the travel insurance I have gotten as seems to be the case for most people who buy the insurance. But I do read all the reviews which can give you a good idea of how a company handles things.

Anyway, whatever, was just a suggestion of another resource/company to check into for those that want to.