QM vs. QV

ltsally

This is probably covered somewhere here...?....but I'm wondering about the differences between the two vessels and pros or cons for each. I've done several transAtlantics (on Seabourn and Silversea), and very much enjoy sea days and formal evenings. Now, am looking at a January crossing (Westbound) on QV in January. Just saw that there is a 7-day eastbound on QM that would arrive S'hampton 10 days before the QV leaves there. I'm a female solo traveller.

Interested in thoughts on the two ships; what to expect from a TA in January...yadda. Thanks very much!

This is probably covered somewhere here...?....but I'm wondering about the differences between the two vessels and pros or cons for each. I've done several transAtlantics (on Seabourn and Silversea), and very much enjoy sea days and formal evenings. Now, am looking at a January crossing (Westbound) on QV in January. Just saw that there is a 7-day eastbound on QM that would arrive S'hampton 10 days before the QV leaves there. I'm a female solo traveller.

Interested in thoughts on the two ships; what to expect from a TA in January...yadda. Thanks very much!

The ships are very different in feel, but I love them both. However, for a January crossing, I would be tempted to go for QM2 she is after all a true ocean liner whereas QV is a cruise ship at heart.

QM2 has the advantage of having a theatre and illuminations so they can have a film or concert on at the same time as the show.

QM2 offers a smoother ride in heavy seas and is a much larger ship. We prefer the interior flow of the QV and QE, nicer decor (in our opinion) and more comfortable places to sit and pass the time. QV will soon have a few solo cabins, too.

For a crossing at that time of year we'd take the QM2.

hmmmm...This will be my first time on a ship so large, so kinda liked the somewhat smaller passenger count of the QV, even though 2000 or 2000-plus is not much of a difference, I suppose. .

And this is kind of the deal-breaker, I guess - the T/A I'm looking at is S'hampton-Ft. Lauderdale and includes a couple of Caribbean ports before FTL docking. A decent price, as well, of course....

Would be esp interested in hearing lst person impressions of QV balcony guestrooms -( it's looking like i'll be 5th level, forward (but not v. far forward), weather in January....well, lots of questions.

And a lot of browsing to come here at the Cunard site. Thanks very much!

QM2 is the way to go.

Last December we took the Silver Spirit and the year before that we were on QM2.

The biggest things you'll notice it there are more lectures and activities during the daytime. We really liked Silversea, but missed onboard on lectures during the day time and afternoon tea as well as movies in the Theatre. Cunard usually has a well planned list of activities each day that appeals to a wide variety of passengers. If you are concerned about being crowded on the QM2, don't worry there is plenty of room on aboard and you'll seldom feel crowded. The only exceptions being during embarkations and disembarkation.

As someone who's sailed with Silversea you may want to look at booking your accommodation in either the Princess Grill or Queen Grills, which are a bit more comparable to the comfort levels of Silversea or Seabourn.

I have been on both for the first time in the last 3 months. Loved both, there is a split amongst my family as to which is our favourite ship. We all loved both however! My pros may be negatives to you and is very much personal opinion!

QV

Pro's

More logical layout, less walking down accommodation or narrow corridors to reach all of the Public rooms.

Lido - It works better than the Kings Court; I preferred the food choice as did my entire family, felt like there was greater choice, and we did visit all 4 areas on Kings Court each time we used it. QV also possesses a 7 minute pizza and pasta bar, lunchtime and evening (Evening only QM2). I would say due to the layout of a Kings Court the alternative dining venues of an evening are much more restaurant like than QV's lido conversion.

The Commodore (Crows Nest) bar has much better Vista's than those on QM2 (restricted by liner design). Both are great bars though and the QM2 model behind the bar is stunning!

I personally prefer the Grand lobby on Victoria, looks more sophisticated than that on QM2.

The Theatre is more beautiful although staging capability is better on QM2, I thought the Cunard Royal Singers and Dancers shows were of a higher quality on QV.

Pavilion Pool is much nicer but doesn't have the luxury of being covered. It's a much larger area on QV with more tables, chairs and loungers and a more attractive pool.

Grills restaurant and terraces - apart from the obvious added quality of food, the grills on QM2 don't offer amazingly beautiful settings. The terrace is far from private, the restaurant venues quite bland. The Grills terrace on QV is much more private, feels a class above the general outside areas on the ship. The Grills dining room also offers an attractive dining terrace that isn't present on QM2.

The Verandah alternative restaurant is better than Todd English, although not as good as Verandah QE equivalent apparently in terms of choice. Quality was most excellent however.

Decor and theme is consistent throughout. Rooms flow into one another, one person or design team have created a real consistency in appearance throughout. The disadvantage is you don't get as much contrast in setting as you move from room to room. QV feels more like a beautiful large private yacht compared to QM2 the huge, powerful ocean liner, with it's high ceilings and more contrasting architectural styles. It's very much personal choice. Some prefer one over the other.

More balconies are glass fronted, with no sheltered balconies. Please note there are steel fronted balconies they are still open.

QM2

The flagship of the fleet, incredible scale and much larger if not grander public rooms. You feel you are sailing on a Modern Icon

The Golden Lion pub, Chart Room, Sir Samuels (not present on QV) are grander and significantly better rooms

Queens Room - Largest ball room at sea. It can fit in more people and has in my opinion more atmosphere when full than the Queens Room on QV! Although some family members and friends preferred the balcony and the fact this room is more centrally located on QV and I can see their point of view.

G32 the club is bigger and more lively than Hemispheres (club on QV). Though I have to say I hate that people can smoke in there. Hemispheres has a more attractive outlook but is compact and is thankfully smoke free.

Promenade Deck - Both ships have a promenade deck but there is no doubt that QM2 offers a better experience. Wide decks and open railings, mean that you feel more in touch with the sea. Add in the huge amounts of outside deck space, numerous pools and Hot tubs at the back of the ship; The hidden gem of the Boardwalk cafe on the upper deck on Sunny days, provides a nice place to chill. If you get the weather there is much more space to enjoy it on QM2 and never a shortage of places to sit quietly in the Sun, well away from others. That's not to say QV has a cramped feeling outside.

The Britannia restaurant (MDR) is grander and more impressive architecturally, although food is to the same standard on both ships.

The Library is larger in terms of book choice and offers lovely views from the front of the ship but I actually prefer the QV library and it's decor, spiral staircase etc, although the views of the sea are not as impressive.

Illuminations (the Cinema/Planetarium/Cunard Insight Lecture Venue) - Not present on QV, offers flexibility to have two Theatre style venues. The Planetarium is a nice feature and the presence of guest astronomers is a nice touch. Increases entertainment offering but not greatly!

Attracts a more international and younger average age of clientele. I being younger preferred the more varied crowd, although others preferred the more generally British, consistently over 60+ crowd of QV. That's not to say a high proportion of guests are not 60+ on QM2.

If it gets rough QM2 handles it much better. You will be perfectly safe on both but you can't beat QM2 in rough seas and QV being very flat sided is affected more by cross winds, although usually Atlantic winds will be westerly so shouldn't be an issue. In reality QV will slow down and face the waves in extreme weather, whilst QM2 can carry on fairly unaffected. The schedule allows plenty of time to get across the Atlantic so won't delay you. There is however something nice about being on a ship that isn't slowed down by rough seas.

Overall

The quality of the product, entertainment and food is no better on one ship than the other. Decor is very much a personal taste thing and both are very well maintained and beautiful looking ships. Service varies across both ships, we possibly found the service to be more consistent on QV, although witnessed examples of good service on both! QV is known as the "Happy Queen" amongst the staff and seems to have a higher proportion of longer serving staff, more married couples working on board, higher proportion of ex QM2 staff (this may not be the case and may simply be opinions) I personally love the QM2 but hold the QV close to my heart but I guess the sports car like statistics and her uniqueness (there is no other ship like her, QV shares many structural similarities with other Vista class cruise ships) helps somewhat. To some people that will be totally irrelevant!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you should book both cruises you list. And stay in England for the 10 days in between. Then give us all a great report of your experiences.

I have travelled on both ships for Voyages in both a balcony cabin on QM2 and QG on both. The one Big thing that was different on QV was the sound the vibrates throughout the ship when QV hits a wave of size. I think the bow is not a great design. Some friends I met on QV stated it could at times wake them at night when the waves were rough since their cabins were forward. My cabin on QV was aft with a view of the wake, never heard the vibration except while out and about in the forward sections of the ship.

Between the two ships, I like them both. I never had anything to say that was bad about the service or meals. Beware the Laundry rooms they are sometimes "interesting" places to meet people. :eek:

I don't have experience with TA's yet, but I have done Caribbean (QM2) and LA to Hawaii on both ships. Sea days are great on both, always something to experience and have fun doing. There are single get together times on each ships programs and I am sure you will meet CC people and dinner friends too.

Above all, which ever you choose or both, you will have a great experience.

We have just come back after a B2B transatlantic for Southampton. Even though the ship was full on the way over there was always somewhere to sit.

Yes Kings Court did get busy at times, we always found a seat. The lectures were amazing, loads of subjects covered. We loved getting the itinerary the night before just so we could plan our day.

We enjoyed the quiz times in the pub, joining up with other people to make a team. We met some really nice people that way.

We also like QE and QV, however for a transatlantic voyage we would choose QM2 every time.

Catherine

Having only sailed on the QM2 I can't help with a comparison; but what I would say is that with every bit of research I've done she wins hands down when it comes to a transatlantic crossing, especially in the winter months.

Our very first time was NY to Southampton early December and the crossing was perfect. We have now booked for mid-December Southampton to New York and I'm more worried about the weather in NY (over Xmas) than I am on the crossing!!

I am very fond of QV. I have done most of my cruising on her (because of itineraries and good deals) and know so many of the staff that I feel at home. It is a very happy ship. I have just booked a cruise on QM2 and find I feel homesick for QV at the thought of going on any other ship now, much as I loved my one T/A on QM2 back in 2008 (my first Cunard voyage).

I know I will love it once I'm on the ship, but I'm sorry I can't move all the staff over with me.:D

Have done QV and QE on a January crossing (World Cruise first sector) and whilst they do have to slow down sometimes it has always been a great voyage. This year, because QE had to sail somewhat south because of the weather we arrived into NY a little late (as day broke) and that was a wonderful entrance, also berthing next to Intrepid is rather nice compared to Brooklyn.

In my opinion the Grills dining is much nicer on QV/QE and you really do get the best advantage of the Grills restaurants and lounge on a transatlantic crossing.

Big thanks to all of you for such thoughtful and informative replies! Was able to get quite a sense of both QM and QV...so danke, merci and all that.

Unfortunately, i chickened out. After feeling thisclose to confirming the rez, setting the deposit etc., i 'got real' about the hassle of trying to get from chicago to LHR in January. With almost no options/wiggle room for mileage rewards, and the prospect of wicked weather messing me up, i've thrown in the towel (and eased my knotted stomach), and will hope another cunard opportunity comes along when snow possibilities arent in the picture.

Thanks again for the great info!