Alone in New York to board the Carnival Sunshine

lizziez00

I will be cruising on the Carnival Sunshine Oct 2016...I am meeting people on the ship that live in New Jersey, but don't necessarily want to stay with them before and after.

My question is: Is it stupid to stay somewhere in Manhattan alone for a couple nights before the cruise and take a cab to the cruise terminal? I have never been there...I do travel alone a lot, so that in general does not bother me...but NY intimidates me....lol

Suggestions on a hotel..not much over $200 a night...Can I walk around in the daytime alone?

Thanks so much in advance

What exact dates would you need a hotel? What airport would you be flying into?

The $200 budget is going to be tough. I'm also a solo traveler and I stayed at the Robert Treat hotel in Newark for a cruise from Cape Liberty and was very happy with it. It offers an airport shuttle from Newark Airport and shuttle service to Newark Penn Station where you can get NJ Transit trains to New York Penn Station ($5) and PATH trains to the World Trade Center.($2.75) You would get to Manhattan Cruise Port by taking NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and a cab. Safety is a concern in Newark and I was very happy with the hotel location on a nice park and the shuttle and free breakfast.

Staying in NYC would certainly be better if your budget permits. However, I would ask advice about any hotels and their location.

Don't forget that millions of New Yorkers wander around alone each day to ride the subway to work and walk the NY streets.

Alone? definitely stay in Manhattan. You don't want to be travelling alone from Manhattan to NJ each morning and night after touring, you want to be able to walk or subway (perfectly safe) quickly right back to your hotel.

I agree that the time spent travelling in from NJ would not be worth it. I also agree that you have time to look for a deal.

It's all going to depend on how tight the OP's budget is. She is sailing on 10/1/16, which means she will be looking for a hotel in the NY high season for at least a Thur and Fri night.

Everyone wants to stay in Manhattan, but that's often just not economically feasible. If she flies into Newark Airport instead of LaGuardia or JFK, she will have other reasonable options in NJ if necessary. The Newark Penn Station Hilton, which is a 4* hotel with a connecting walkway to Newark Penn Station, is $199 plus tax for similar dates this year. Transit options to NYC are NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station and PATH to World Trade. IMO this option is no worse than staying in many parts of Manhattan which have much less convenient transportation options.

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice! I do realize that tons of people walk around alone in NY every day, but most of them are familiar with the area or if not, are usually with others in a group. I cruise out of New Orleans all the time and have been by myself maybe 5 times with no issues...but I know where to go and where not to go, and I always stay at Harrahs cause I am Diamond there, so I am comfortable and they know me.

I do have a year...I cruise October 1, 2016...so lots of time to plan. I just threw the $200 a night out there because I ran Hotels.com and a bunch came up for around that price, but I have no idea where they are other than Manhattan...lol As I get closer, I will probably have to pull out a map of that area....

I will probably come in Thursday night before and leave either Sunday or Monday after unless I can get a later flight on Saturday and do a Carnival transfer.

Again, thanks for all the info!! I will probably have more questions as I get things into place :)

I hate staying outside of midtown Manhattan. :) (yes have stayed in both LIC and NJ- using PATH trains and subway/bus "commuting") It is well worth the cost for me. FAR more convenient. I always do night activities, theater usually)

I like staying at the La Quinta near Herald Square, recently stayed at the Wingate on 35th.

I walk all over, rarely use cabs, with buses/subways my preference. I am an ex New Yorker, and know the city extremely well.

For a single visitor, I highly recommend - Free Tours by Foot. They are an excellent, well run organization. They have numerous tours. I've enjoyed every one, I have taken, including several repeats. :)

• 4 months later...

I'm leaving on the Sunshine in June, and I just booked the night before the cruise at Hotel Pennsylvania across the street from Penn Station (NY) for $171/night including taxes (AAA Rate, 2 single beds). I've never been to NY before, but the reviews aren't bad.

Thanks you guys so much!! I am getting excited. :). I have a cruise on the Dream in 13 days and then the Glory two weeks later but have never done an overnight in a a port...... Much less three in Bermuda. I think I have talked my 21 yr old daughter into coming with me so I will have company!!

Edited by lizziez00

I'm leaving on the Sunshine in June, and I just booked the night before the cruise at Hotel Pennsylvania across the street from Penn Station (NY) for $171/night including taxes (AAA Rate, 2 single beds). I've never been to NY before, but the reviews aren't bad.

There have to be other options than the Hotel Pennsylvania. What's your exact date? What is your arrival time? What do you want to do in NYC?

Sorry, this place is a dump. No place I will ever stay.

See what LaQuinta, and the Wyndam group is offering.

I'm assuming you were attracted by the rates- since you list them- thinking "what a deal". It isn't.

Lizzie! My husband, myself, and a small group of friends will be on this sailing as well! Eeek! I am thrilled beyond words for this one! We are coming in two days early to do all the "must see's" of NYC. We snagged a Holiday Inn - Wall Street for $250 a night. I went back and forth too about the room cost, but ultimately came to the decision that this will probably be our only trip up there, and want to experience it to the fullest.

Lizzie! My husband, myself, and a small group of friends will be on this sailing as well! Eeek! I am thrilled beyond words for this one! We are coming in two days early to do all the "must see's" of NYC. We snagged a Holiday Inn - Wall Street for $250 a night. I went back and forth too about the room cost, but ultimately came to the decision that this will probably be our only trip up there, and want to experience it to the fullest.

I added my 21 yr old daughter to this last night. I think we are going to book the Ameritania at Times Square....same as you, more than I wanted to spend ,but it is New York...! We are coming in Thursday night and going to do a Broadway show Friday but not sure which one.

I have two Carnival cruises in the next three weeks...then I'll start really planning this one :) It is very different from any I have done with the overnights in Bermuda VERY EXCITED also!!!