Alaska on the Amsterdam September 7-14, 2014

SJSULIBRARIAN

As many others have written wonderful reviews about Alaska on the Amsterdam this summer, I will make just a few comments about the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Surprise.

The Good:

Outstanding service and friendliness everywhere by officers and crew

A different Captain on the ship to us, Jonathan Mercer, known for the World Cruise and his fine blog

Open Dining – since we booked so close to the cruise, we were assigned Open Dining. The more we experience Open Dining, the more we like it. We were able to have the same time, same table, and same stewards the five nights we ate there so it was just like early seating for us.

New wines in the Navigator’s and Admiral’s Packages were introduced on this cruise. When I find the card, I will list these wines if it has not already been done so.

Outstanding weather for Alaska in September, at least for us, when it seems rain and wind are always present. Tracey Arm beautiful and sunny (see Captain Mercer’s photos on his blog for this cruise), Juneau high clouds and some sun, Sitka overcast and misty but since on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest, it didn’t matter, Ketchikan blue sky and sun which we haven’t experienced there in years, and Victoria, clear and gorgeous.

The Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest tour was fabulous and one of the best tours we have taken in Alaska

The new Cruise Atlas was available so I now have one.

The Bad: Hard to find anything bad so just a couple of negative comments on food

Lamb chops in the Pinnacle Grill were dry and overcooked.

The “jumbo” shrimp cocktail in the PG on the first night were not jumbo but what one usually gets in the MDR. By the last night, this was rectified and the jumbos were back. (I suspect this is a supply issue in that not everything is unpacked from being supplied on the first day)

The Dive In’s large and overly juicy hamburgers. I know I am the only one of HAL Cruisers who does not like these. There has to be one in every crowd and I’m it!!

The Ugly:

Cellar Master Wine Tasting scheduled for one hour dragged on for two hours. He loves to talk and I no longer have the attention span for that long of detail. I am sure the others loved it. Once again it is just me.

The Surprise:

We reached five star status on this cruise. Finding the Five Star pins in our mailbox on the final morning was a pleasant surprise.

Congratulations on becoming a 5 Star Mariner.

We have done the Sea Otter and Wild Life excursion in Sitka at least 3 times. We love it. The Sea Otter in my avatar is from the last time we did this tour.

Jonathan Mercer -- we met him quite a few years ago. Sailed with him only a couple of other times.

Will be looking forward to the new wine package lists.

Wonderful review.

Glad you had another wonderful Alaskan cruise.

I was on the Amsterdam with you. The weather was wonderful and I loved our cruise. I agree with your review. I found the food excellent and the service wonderful. We had the anytime dining and ended up with the same table and service reserved upon request each night. Worked well for us. This was my first cruise and I have no other experience to compare but why would I want any other type of vacation? I want to go back next year and look forward to living and traveling long enough to be awarded 5 Mariner stars. Congratulations.