airline mileage points

GORDONCHICK

I recently got an AAdvantage card. We don't fly a lot - most cruises are driveable to the departure port. We are cruising northbound to AK, and will fly back from ANC. In looking at the mileage on each flight, none is listed on the first flight home - which is the longest leg of the entire trip. Is that because it's on Alaska Airlines, even though it's through AA?

"mileage listed" - do you mean how many miles it takes for an award? how many miles you accrue on a revenue ticket?

If you mean how many miles you earn for a flight, you can find that by googling Great Circle Mapper.

Realize that not all airlines give 100% credit for flights operated by other airlines. With AA, generally if the flight as an AA flight number you are OK, but there are always exceptions.

"mileage listed" - do you mean how many miles it takes for an award? how many miles you accrue on a revenue ticket?

If you mean how many miles you earn for a flight, you can find that by googling Great Circle Mapper.

Realize that not all airlines give 100% credit for flights operated by other airlines. With AA, generally if the flight as an AA flight number you are OK, but there are always exceptions.

Well, that's an interesting question. Sorry, I wish I knew the correct terminology. When I'm looking at booking flights and I'm looking at the flight options, it says "flight miles". There are miles for the 2 legs up Mesa operating as AA, and miles from LAX to OKC (Envoy operating as AE). The ANC to LAX is American operated by Alaska Airlines - the wording is different.

If I don't get mileage from AA, makes me wonder if our luggage will still be free when flying from ANC.

What is your overall itinerary? If you put your AAdvantage number in the booking, you'll get full AA miles for the legs operated by Alaska Airlines; Alaska (AS) and American (AA) are partners.

Use this website to enter your entire route (e.g. OKC-DFW-YVR, ANC-LAX-OKC) and you'll see the mileage for each leg. If you're in coach, you'll get 1 AA mile per flown mile, if in first class, 1.5 miles per flown mile.

What is your overall itinerary? If you put your AAdvantage number in the booking, you'll get full AA miles for the legs operated by Alaska Airlines; Alaska (AS) and American (AA) are partners.

Use this website to enter your entire route (e.g. OKC-DFW-YVR, ANC-LAX-OKC) and you'll see the mileage for each leg. If you're in coach, you'll get 1 AA mile per flown mile, if in first class, 1.5 miles per flown mile.

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't activated the card yet (that's how new it is) so I didn't enter it. I did find out that Alaska honors the free first bag with the card I have, so that's handy.

Thanks for all your help. There is only first class available on the AS flight. The others are regional jets, which stinks. I hate those things! I'm hoping that I can use some points to upgrade the AS flight portion since that's overnight. I will get 30,000 points when I buy our tickets. I'll have to figure that part out after the points are awarded.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Do you want to know mileage earned on you flights?

How many miles it would take to book an award ticket?

Best routing?

What dates are you looking to do this? I find it hard to believe that there are no coach tickets avail on Alaska air form ANC. Plus there is no reason to go to LAX is you are using AA. You can route via SEA or PHX (using USAir) and avoid LAX all together.

You need to provide more info before anybody can really help you on whatever you want to know.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Do you want to know mileage earned on you flights?

How many miles it would take to book an award ticket?

Best routing?

What dates are you looking to do this? I find it hard to believe that there are no coach tickets avail on Alaska air form ANC. Plus there is no reason to go to LAX is you are using AA. You can route via SEA or PHX (using USAir) and avoid LAX all together.

You need to provide more info before anybody can really help you on whatever you want to know.

Thanks, but I got the info I wanted. I never said there weren't any coach tickets on AS from ANC. I won't fly US Air - ever again. And if I went to SEA, I'd have to change planes at least twice to get to YVR - no thank you.

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't activated the card yet (that's how new it is) so I didn't enter it. I did find out that Alaska honors the free first bag with the card I have, so that's handy.

Aha....now it becomes clearer. You are talking about an AA CREDIT CARD, not an AAdvantage account.

But since you now say:

Thanks, but I got the info I wanted
This thread is over for me.

Thanks, but I got the info I wanted. I never said there weren't any coach tickets on AS from ANC. I won't fly US Air - ever again. And if I went to SEA, I'd have to change planes at least twice to get to YVR - no thank you.

I still have no idea what you were asking, but anyway. Plus you do realize that AA and USAir are merging so you will most likely end up on one of their planes and have one of their crews in the future.

I won't fly US Air - ever again.

Plus you do realize that AA and USAir are merging so you will most likely end up on one of their planes and have one of their crews in the future.

Actually the OP probably has no clue that US and AA recently merged and the new AA is operated by the US management. So in reality, she will be flying USAir when flying AA in the future. Some would say it is USAir dba American Airlines :). No way around it.

Edited by frugaltravel

Actually the OP probably has no clue that US and AA recently merged and the new AA is operated by the US management. So in reality, she will be flying USAir when flying AA in the future. Some would say it is USAir dba American Airlines :). No way around it.

Back in 2007, I had a really terrible experience with US Airways (East) and swore them off. Fast forward to 2013/2014 as an AA frequent flier who finds himself with more options (on US Airways), I have taken them several times and have, so far, had generally very good experiences. Most of this has been with US Airways (West), but some with US Airways (East).

One perk of US Airways over American can be the aircraft. I am sick and tired of having maintenance-related issues on AA's MD-80s, which is usually what I end up on out of Kansas City. If I can find myself on a much newer A319/A320 on US Airways to Phoenix or Charlotte, I'll often take it. Sure, upgrades don't work as well, but they're still possible.

Next Monday I am flying US Airways MCI-PHX-ONT to avoid taking MD-80s the whole way (and will instead be on A320s the whole way).

Actually, I did know this. And AA isn't my airline of choice, but on this itinerary I cannot fly SWA unless I was to match together some funky legs. I want a few stops as possible, which isn't easy from OKC. I even checked from DFW and it was more expensive and more connections.

I appreciate the help I've gotten, but I guess I'll not ask anymore air questions here and stick to ports and cruises boards

I appreciate the help I've gotten, but I guess I'll not ask anymore air questions here and stick to ports and cruises boards

I also didn't know exactly what you were asking (and still don't). I don't think people were being rude, they just didn't know what you wanted.

Back in 2007, I had a really terrible experience with US Airways (East) and swore them off. Fast forward to 2013/2014 as an AA frequent flier who finds himself with more options (on US Airways), I have taken them several times and have, so far, had generally very good experiences. Most of this has been with US Airways (West), but some with US Airways (East).

One perk of US Airways over American can be the aircraft. I am sick and tired of having maintenance-related issues on AA's MD-80s, which is usually what I end up on out of Kansas City. If I can find myself on a much newer A319/A320 on US Airways to Phoenix or Charlotte, I'll often take it. Sure, upgrades don't work as well, but they're still possible.

Next Monday I am flying US Airways MCI-PHX-ONT to avoid taking MD-80s the whole way (and will instead be on A320s the whole way).

I'll take those Mad Dogs on AA over the increasing use of Barbie Jets UA is going to out of RJ central (aka IAH) . :eek:

Well, goodbye than. If you want information we are here to help, just tell us exactly what you want to know and we can help. There are lots of experienced flyers on here (and much nicer that going to Flyertalk for info) you just need to understand we can't read your mind as to what you want to know.

There are lots of experienced flyers on here (and much nicer that going to Flyertalk for info)

You were joking when you wrote that, weren't you?? If I wanted to take the time (I don't), I can point you to many threads here on the Cruise Air forum where many experienced/regular flyers/posters specifically admit to making pretty snarky comments. Then there are the countless number of times they do so but don't know and/or admit it. No comparison here at all with FlyerTalk.

Edited by frugaltravel

You do not get free bags when you fly Alaska Airlines with an AAdvantage credit card - it must be operated by American Airlines.

Also, you will be flying US Airways, because Los Angeles-Oklahoma City is operated by Mesa Air, which operates as US Airways Express on behalf of American Airlines, so check-in with US Airways at OKC.

You were joking when you wrote that, weren't you?? If I wanted to take the time (I don't), I can point you to many threads here on the Cruise Air forum where many experienced/regular flyers/posters specifically admit to making pretty snarky comments. Then there are the countless number of times they do so but don't know and/or admit it. No comparison here at all with FlyerTalk.

Not joking at all. Flyertalk gets downright nasty sometimes and there is nobody deleting the posts. (Milepoint is much nicer but smaller). There really is not comparison between here and FT. :rolleyes:

No comparison here at all with FlyerTalk.

I agree with this statement. FlyerTalk is much worse in terms of ridiculous posts and rudeness. This board is nothing compared to some of those, such as the UA forum.

Not joking at all. Flyertalk gets downright nasty sometimes and there is nobody deleting the posts. There really is not comparison between here and FT. :rolleyes:

There is no moderator on FlyerTalk, just as there is no moderator on this forum reading all the posts. You have to report them, and posts get removed on FT, just as they are removed here if they are in violation of posting guidelines.

Edited by 6rugrats

I don't venture into the other forums here (been on one cruise and that was enough, yeah, I'm in the wrong place :D ) but I get the impression that we deal out a fair amount of tough love here compared to elsewhere. It's not rude, just sometimes people don't like to hear something they don't agree with.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, people, and since this is the interwebs nobody really gets hurt!

I don't venture into the other forums here (been on one cruise and that was enough, yeah, I'm in the wrong place :D ) but I get the impression that we deal out a fair amount of tough love here compared to elsewhere. It's not rude, just sometimes people don't like to hear something they don't agree with.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, people, and since this is the interwebs nobody really gets hurt!

I'm the same way. Done a couple of cruises and don't really need to do more. But I like hearing people's stories about travel to/from cruises, and feel that I can offer the occasional nugget of info as a frequent flier that may or may not be useful

I'm the same way. Done a couple of cruises and don't really need to do more. But I like hearing people's stories about travel to/from cruises, and feel that I can offer the occasional nugget of info as a frequent flier that may or may not be useful

:D I thought I was the only weird one round here like that! ;)

I agree with this statement. FlyerTalk is much worse in terms of ridiculous posts and rudeness. This board is nothing compared to some of those, such as the UA forum.

There is no moderator on FlyerTalk, just as there is no moderator on this forum reading all the posts. You have to report them, and posts get removed on FT, just as they are removed here if they are in violation of posting guidelines.

Um... I'm a (volunteer) moderator on FT (Oneworld board) and I read most of the posts and remove/move/edit posts as required under the T&Cs. Some boards (e.g. American Airlines) have numerous moderators owing to the volume of posts. I'd say that moderation on FT is much more aggressive than on CC.

The two boards seem to have very different demographics, which probably accounts for the higher incidence of posts that need moderating, if you get my meaning.