Aft. Balcony vs. Balcony

Shutterlady

Thanks for all of the opinions I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I went ahead a booked the balcony. I think we would prefer seeing what's coming up and what we've passed by being on the side, that will work just fine. I would hate to spend the extra money for the aft and not enjoy it because of no shade, no breeze, and only seeing out behind us.

A little side note, I had to change my first booking from Memorial weekend to Labor Day weekend. The day after I booked the May cruise, my youngest son and his wife informed us they were expecting, and their first baby is due June 8th. I would hate to be gone and possibly miss it. And if we kept that May cruise I don't want to stress beforehand wondering if they would have their baby early or not so I just switched it to the Labor day cruise today that was originally cheaper. Took the hit on the $50 per person "administrative" fee to change the cruise, but that will make me have no worries. Looking forward to grandbaby #4 all within 3 years. LOL

We just had an aft on the liberty. Depending on the time of day and direction of travel, you sometimes had shade. We loved the aft, our first. It was so nice having a lounger and I found at times I could get a bit of shade from the dividers.

We just had an aft on the liberty. Depending on the time of day and direction of travel, you sometimes had shade. We loved the aft, our first. It was so nice having a lounger and I found at times I could get a bit of shade from the dividers.

You might get a lounger in the aft wrap but the aft balcony is only about a foot deeper and has only the regular small chairs.

So I should cancel my aft wrap vista suite on the Miracle and get an inside room is what I am hearing from you all. And I was really looking forward to my first balcony.

We've enjoyed 4th floor aft vista suites on 2 Spirit class ships....and they happen to be the finest cabins onboard. Only 2 of 'em, but unforgettable.

These actually have shade (5th floor overhang) which you take when you need it, or simply walk over to that side of the massive balcony with sun when THAT is what you prefer.

And just as important to us is full privacy on balcony, which the suite has. Not

true on all other aft balconies. Looking at strangers left, right, top, and bottom

while leaning on your railing.....not our cup of tea !

We have had one aft in the past and are very much looking forward to our cruise in January when we will have our second one.

What I noticed is also what others are saying. The climate on the balcony is very much dependent on the direction of the ship, how fast it's moving, if it's docked etc.

The only time we really found it overly warm was when we were docked and had blazing sun on our balcony. But the side balconies facing the sun would have had all sun at that time of day too. I really don't see it any differently than your back porch at home. Sometime you'll have sun, sometimes you'll have shade. It depends on the movement of the sun. Plus, then the ship moves too!

We love aft balconies and book them whenever budget allows.

So I should cancel my aft wrap vista suite on the Miracle and get an inside room is what I am hearing from you all. And I was really looking forward to my first balcony.

NONONO!!!!!!!! We had the aft wrap vista suite on the Miracle and loved it!!!! You will too.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had an AFT balcony on the 6th deck on Dream class ship?? Sure hope I didn't mess up when I booked one for our 35th anniversary cruise for January on the Dream. :confused:

We had cabin #6476 on the Magic a few weeks ago. Very little shade in any direction or time, only had a very small overhang. Since it was basically in the middle of the stern, the cabin was a bit longer than those closer to the sides. We had the sofa in our cabin.

If you go to sleep early, you might be bothered by the noise from the comedy club below. If you stay up late, or aren't bothered by noise, then disregard.

We were glad we booked it for my 65th BDay, but agreed that we prefer midship balconies better. One big plus, we booked early and our fare was a few hundred less than later bookings.

I probably shouldn't weigh in on how great I think aft balconies are as there are so few of them. There is NOTHING better than being memorized by the wake of the ship. Sailing out of the port you just made fantastic memories at - the list goes on. Sure, it can be hot during the day but during the day we are exploring the island or up on Lido socializing with our fellow passengers. We LOVE aft cabins :p

NONONO!!!!!!!! We had the aft wrap vista suite on the Miracle and loved it!!!! You will too.

I second this, aft and aft wrap are completely different animals. I have been lucky enough to have a aft wrap twice and with the extreme balcony (on mine wraping partially around the side) you have the best of both worlds. Used the side when the sun was hot (which had a overhang) and the back when it was nice out and sun wasn't directly overhead.

I would always take a aft wrap if I had the money, amazing experience:D

I don't know that I would do a regular aft although I haven't tried it yet since I did find myself using the side a lot more than the direct back on the aft wrap due to the sun.

I second this, aft and aft wrap are completely different animals. I have been lucky enough to have a aft wrap twice and with the extreme balcony (on mine wraping partially around the side) you have the best of both worlds. Used the side when the sun was hot (which had a overhang) and the back when it was nice out and sun wasn't directly overhead.

I would always take a aft wrap if I had the money, amazing experience:D

I don't know that I would do a regular aft although I haven't tried it yet since I did find myself using the side a lot more than the direct back on the aft wrap due to the sun.

We've had them twice as well.......on the 4th floor, which has the overhang which gives you the choice of sun or shade nearly all day.

With the normal aft balconies, what many don't realize in advance is that

you're sacrificing some of your privacy while on balcony itself. Walk to

railing, and there are your neighbors looking at you.......up, down, left, and right. Some may like that. Not us. Our social activity is better elsewhere !!!