Which would you choose? RC Majesty of the Seas or Carnival Elation?

hrmkr

We are looking to possibly book a short cruise with another couple that has never cruised before. Trying to keep costs down.

We are considering the RC Majesty of the Seas (4 days) to the Bahamas or Carnival Elation (5 days) to the Bahamas. I know that both ships are older so thinking that my cross each other out.

The difference in price is about $50 more for the Elation (comparing inside to inside and OV to OV cabins on each ship) but we would get an extra day.

The other couples husband is somewhat of a big drinker so we need to factor in the Beverage packages. On Carnival, both people in the cabin need to purchase the Cheers package where on RC, only 1 person needs to purchase it.

Thoughts??

I'm going on Majesty of the Seas Friday for the 15th time on this ship so I MAY be a little biased. Never sailed on Carnival and don't plan to. But I've talked to enough people to have enough information.

The Majesty is a beautiful ship and the overall food and staff are as good or better than any ship in the fleet. There may not be the wide selection of food options but it's all good. They have a Johnny Rockets which is really good!

I think if you want a pure spring break party atmosphere and don't care too much about anything else, then go with Carnival. If you want a really nice ship with excellent food and superior service, go with Majesty. I would spend a little more $ to get a Deck 9 OV stateroom. For a little more $ you get a very spacious stateroom.

RC gets the nod over Barnival for me every day. However, If you're looking at going soon then Marc Walker will be your cruise director. That alone makes the decision for MJ over Elation. Add in the fact that you only have to purchase 1 drink package and the costs are hugely in favor of her Majesty.

I think if you want a pure spring break party atmosphere and don't care too much about anything else, then go with Carnival. If you want a really nice ship with excellent food and superior service, go with Majesty. I would spend a little more $ to get a Deck 9 OV stateroom. For a little more $ you get a very spacious stateroom.

Carnival doesn't have anymore of a Spring Break atmosphere than any other cruise line does. For a 5 day to a 4 day, the party would be about the same. I've been on both, and can tell you that I found them comparable in all aspects, regardless of your opinion. And the steakhouse on Carnival beats Chops hands down. That said. If one of your party is not a drinker, than RCCL would be a better choice as the Cheer's option is great, but pricey if you don't drink.

Having been on Majesty and another Fantasy Class ship, I honestly wouldn't pick one over the other. Both are going to be some of the oldest, smallest ships in the market. There is no hiding the age of ships that age compared to modern ships.

I would without question look towards at least on the of newer Carnival ships (I believe a Conquest Class ship has taken over some 3-5 night cruises now). Brilliance of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas are also fantastic options for short cruises.

Having been on Majesty and another Fantasy Class ship, I honestly wouldn't pick one over the other. Both are going to be some of the oldest, smallest ships in the market. There is no hiding the age of ships that age compared to modern ships.

I would without question look towards at least on the of newer Carnival ships (I believe a Conquest Class ship has taken over some 3-5 night cruises now). Brilliance of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas are also fantastic options for short cruises.

I agree. 4 or 5 nighter on Indy. Maybe price a promenade room.

Never been on either but our 3 Carnival cruises have been outstanding from the service to the food and wouldn't hesitate booking another Carnival cruise again and it's not a party ship from the cruises we went on and Guys burgers and there burritos are awesome

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on the majesty of the seas several years ago. We loved that ship. Its a little different layout then most . I thought the food was good in the dinning room and the service was very good. I don't know if it was because it was an older ship and the crew had a lot of practice. But i was on other newer ships and never got the same service. Also they were very generous with their bingo payout on the majesty of the seas. I don't know if that changed or not but on the last bingo a man sitting next to me won 7,000.00. I think its a very nice ship. I was never on the elation. And yes the drink package if you are allowed to purchase just one is well worth it. I thought it was unfair to impose the whole cabin to purchase it my husband doesn't drink hardly ever maybe a beer or scotch and soda occasionally but i like my wine. whatever you choose i hope you have a great vacation.

Just a quick background. I have been on 7 Royal cruises and 2 carnival. I was on the majesty 10-11 years ago and the ecstasy 3 years ago (sister ship of the elation). Personally speaking my wife and I found the ecstasy to be the worst cruise we've ever been on and she will never take carnival again because of it. We found there to be very little to do on the ship, it was dirty and really showed its age, very loud and no quiet areas on the pool deck, and the food wasn't very good. Nighttime entertainment was horrendous. I will say the staterooms and bathrooms were bigger on the ecstasy. Comes down to personal preference and what you're looking to do on vacation. I would agree with the above posters to look at Indy. Been on her twice in the last year and it is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going on Majesty of the Seas Friday for the 15th time on this ship so I MAY be a little biased. Never sailed on Carnival and don't plan to. But I've talked to enough people to have enough information.

The Majesty is a beautiful ship and the overall food and staff are as good or better than any ship in the fleet. There may not be the wide selection of food options but it's all good. They have a Johnny Rockets which is really good!

I have been on plenty of Carnival cruises, including a 5 day on Elation and it was nothing like a spring break atmosphere. It is an older ship, no waterworks area, no speciality dining. But it was a good time.

That said, I might lean toward Majesty, although I have never been on it. If the drink package is a big deal, Carnival will require both parties to purchase and it will be capped at 15 drinks. Plenty for me, but if the husband is a big drinker, it might be an issue.

I have sailed on both and Majesty is WAY better than Elation. Elation is gaudy, dark and old. The buffet was awful, it was the first ship I sailed on that I said "What was I thinking!"

I totally agree with this post.

They're both old ships but Majesty is waaaay nicer than Elation.