Sailing on Independence on Monday and have a few questions..

Greetings!

My husband, daughter, and I are sailing on Monday (5 nights, stopping in Jamaica and Haiti) and I have a few questions..

1. My daughter has a peanut/tree nut allergy but I did not put it in our reservations. We have cruised two other times and it didn't seem to matter that it was listed in our reservation. The dining rooms didn't know anything about it and no one seemed to really care. If it matters the two other cruises were not RC. So now I am second guessing myself. Should I call the cruise line and let them know? Is it too late? What do you other allergy folks do?

2. We are not going to do any of the excursions in Jamaica so what is there to do at the port? My friend has me convinced we are going to get robbed in Jamaica and that we should stay on the ship and not even bother with the port. :o:D. If you didn't do any excursions but still went into the port, what did you do/see? Also, I assume lunch is not served like it is in Haiti, correct?

3. What is the earliest you can get there the day of? 10:30 is what we were planning. Is that too early? We would like to get on as soon as possible but the main goal is to avoid the long lines and peak times.

4. Can you buy sunscreen on board? Is it ridiculously expensive? We are Irish people from the midwest and require a lot of sunscreen. :D

5. In Haiti we plan on hanging out and my daughter and husband are going to the aqua park. I stumbled across a blog that talked about hiking and some out of the way spots that had a great view of the ship but now I can't find the blog again. Has anyone hiked around Labadee? Any cool spots that you know of? Can you ride the tram around to see the different parts of Labadee? What type of food is served during lunch?

Thanks so much!

With regard to lunch being served while in Jamaica, there won't be a BBQ lunch provided off the ship like in Labadee. However, lunch will be served on the ship.

Sunscreen is expensive on board. Better to go to Target or Walmart at home.

I've sailed Independence twice, second time just last week. My daughter's peanut/tree nut allergy was on our reservation but the dining room didn't seem to be aware of it beforehand. I just told our servers and they made sure her food was prepared separately and they would give us a menu for the following night. Luckily my daughter's allergy is ingestion only.

Even if you don't plan on doing an excursion I would get off and walk around the port. Maybe buy some souvenirs, buy a beef patty for lunch. There are shops and places to eat. I never felt unsafe at all.

We arrived late last week, so I'm not sure what time they started boarding. Last year we were on just around 11:00.

They do sell sunscreen but it's expensive

I can answer some of your questions.

2.) I am in the same boat. We have a 4 year old. We have done cruises/excursions before but being extra cautious now with a child plus you are limited on excursions with a younger one. There isn't a lot to do unless you have an excursion. You could take a taxi to the beach but there wouldn't be a car seat, so don't know how you feel about that. We are going to go off the ship and ponder around at the shops when you get off but not go too far....

3.) Arrive between 11-11:15!!

4.) You can but I recommend just bring some ahead of time....

5.) The lunch RCCL provides is like a cookout. Hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, pasta, etc. It is great and fun! :

Best to bring the sunscreen you need. The sun is MUCH more potent than you are used to.....a shot glass full for every adult EVERY 2 hours is the recommended amount.. (That's 1 oz)...put it on 30 mins BEFORE you go in the sun. Don't wait until you're AT the pool or beach to apply it. Put it on in your cabin....before you head out for the day. Re-apply every 2 hours. If you dry off with a towel, you have just wiped off your sunscreen...water-proof is NOT towel-proof!

Bring what you need! The ships sunscreen is about 4X's the price.

My parents will be on the same sailing :)

My mother is allergic to seafood of all things! but she just lets the waiter know the first night and they make sure she is safe with her choices.

As far as Jamaica goes get off and enjoy the port. You will feel very safe as long as you don't venture out the gate. Like dcgrumpy said find the patty stand and get a taste of Jamaica. There is just shopping & a few restaurants including Margaritaville within the gates but not all feel the need to venture outside them.

Gotta agree with Cleara, buy sunscreen before boarding.

BonVoyage

Dawna

No lunch at Jamaica except on board ship. The port itself is very safe. Just walk around and look at stuff if you want. I would not go outside the port gates. There is a pool for use at Margaritaville at Falmouth that your daughter might enjoy. Bring your own sunscreen. SOOO expensive on board.

Falmouth was one of my favorite ports. After reading many reviews, we hired a private driver (Winston of Tour Jamaica Today) to Blue Hole. We had 4 kids so safety is a priority and it was something all 4 kids (ages 16 to 4) loved. I was thinking of staying on the ship but a good friend took her family with similar aged kids as mine on a week vacation to a resort in Jamaica and recommended many things to do. I wouldn't wander around but it is safe with some research.

We do like having a ship day in port. The ship is quiet and the kids can ride the flowrider. It's nice to do the activities that typically have a line.

I bring lots of sunscreen as it is expensive on the ship! I'll bring about 8 bottles for the 6 of us.